Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Improve my jab against tall fast counter puncher?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Improve my jab against tall fast counter puncher?

I use to train a lot in gyms and have a couple amateur fights. These days, I like sparring friends for fun, and just appreciate the art of boxing.

I have a friend who just learns for fun, and I like using him as a training partner outdoors. We've been sparring about once a week for the past 3-4 years. Lately, I wanted to improve my jab. Although I use it a lot against fighters my height+reach, I tend to not use it as much against taller fighters. The friend I mentioned is tall, fast, counter puncher, likes to run AND he knows me well and how I move. In the past, I just have to close the distance, cut off the ring (aka parking lot), and go to work. But lately, I wanted to be more "technical" and more of a "boxer". I wanted to use my jabs more and work my way in, instead of brute force rushing him.

However, it isn't working. My friend sees me coming in, I'm telegraphing too much, and he's not afraid of my other shots because he knows I'm not going to use them much. So he just tees off on me the moment I try to make a move. He sees my feints, pumps, and knows when I'm actually going to commit.

I watch Mayweather Jr. and I'm impressed by how easy he can land that jab on people. It's like he can win a fight with just the jab. How does he do it? Is it timing? Intellgience? Knowing where to be?

Is there some fighter I can study, some videos I can watch, to help me better understand how to improve my jab?

Here's a video of me and him when I CAN use all my punches. I'm in white gloves, my friend in red, and you'll notice that he will be more gun shy, but towards the end, he lets his hands fly.

I'll try to upload something from my training yesterday, where I was using predominantly jabs. Video to come soon.
    Last edited by mozilla2004; 12-12-2016 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Improve my jab against tall fast counter puncher?

and here's me when i told my friend i'm mostly jabbing

I could never close the distance, and when i was close I would be at the end of his punches.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great jab's you should see Mike McCallum different speed, timing, setting up, blocking with it.

Are you southpaw?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Great jab's you should see Mike McCallum different speed, timing, setting up, blocking with it.

Are you southpaw?
    Ok thanks, I'll study McCallum's fights.

For me, I'm naturally orthodox, but have trained a lot south paw. My coach trained us to be switch hitter. For me, my footwork is much better as a south paw. I'm more mobile as a southpaw and faster. I'm better as an orthodox while fighting on the inside.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You seem better fighting southpaw, more natural and slick.

Crawford would be a good style for you to watch and learn.

Best southpaw jabs would be Sweet Pea and Zab Judah.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Mozilla,
    The recommendations previously given are good ones and you should study them. Adding my two cents into the mix, I'd also recommend watching Mike Tyson, pre-Buster Douglas defeat, and study his footwork, head movements, feints, set-ups, and jab timings.

From watching your videos, here are some specific recommendations I have based on my observations:
    1. Incorporate jabs and straight left hands to the body into the mix. Randomly vary this with jab feints to the head and to the body and take note of his reactions so as to get his timing and rhythm down so you can time him and take advantage of his tendencies.
    2. When you implement the above, be mindful about not being too linear movement-minded when doing so (which you have a tendency to do). Randomly but strategically vary your linear movements with lateral and circular footwork to be more unpredictable.
    3. Step in more with your jabs (with an exception when you are countering with a jab off the back foot). You often appear to just flick them out there mindlessly. Put more purpose and commitment into them.
    4. Break the tendency to follow your opponent around. Cut him off more, intercepting and disrupting his movements instead.

Anyway, hope this helps you out a bit...

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by StrictlySP View Post
    Hi Mozilla,
    The recommendations previously given are good ones and you should study them. Adding my two cents into the mix, I'd also recommend watching Mike Tyson, pre-Buster Douglas defeat, and study his footwork, head movements, feints, set-ups, and jab timings.

From watching your videos, here are some specific recommendations I have based on my observations:
    1. Incorporate jabs and straight left hands to the body into the mix. Randomly vary this with jab feints to the head and to the body and take note of his reactions so as to get his timing and rhythm down so you can time him and take advantage of his tendencies.
    2. When you implement the above, be mindful about not being too linear movement-minded when doing so (which you have a tendency to do). Randomly but strategically vary your linear movements with lateral and circular footwork to be more unpredictable.
    3. Step in more with your jabs (with an exception when you are countering with a jab off the back foot). You often appear to just flick them out there mindlessly. Put more purpose and commitment into them.
    4. Break the tendency to follow your opponent around. Cut him off more, intercepting and disrupting his movements instead.

Anyway, hope this helps you out a bit...

Take Care,
    Lito
    Thanks very much. Item 2 and 3 you totally got right. I've been thinking about item 2 the past few months. When I back up, I go straight back...It's something I haven't gotten around to training myself to do yet so that it's natural. Same with going in...when I do go in, I tend to only go to the outside, and I should try the opposite direction (even though dangerous) at calculated times.

Ok, item 3 is the more difficult one. When I commit sometimes, it seems I do it at the wrong times, and then my friend counters me painfully. But, maybe I will improve with more experience. Just know when I'm supposed to be committing. Right now, I only feel comfortable floating weak jabs out there to draw out one of my friend's punches or to set up a cross.

Thanks for pointing those two out.

Oh and for item 4, it's intentional. Because without ropes and a real ring, my friend just runs off to the edge of the universe, and I end up working on nothing. But I do keep it in mind...there's that one corner in a parking lot that sometimes I decide to push him in to. Or when I drop by a gym, i take advantage of the ring and cut people off and force them to fight me.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry to sound like an old Gypsy but if you can't find a gym, an old ring or a softer area get on the grass. Those are big soft gloves but carpark concrete or ashphlat/tarmac isn't going to do your head any favours if you say hello to it at speed. I have been knocked out on concrete (no gloves) and isn't a risk worth taking.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no sparring on concrete!!

couple of thoughts...you're attacking a natural runner/counterpuncher and wonder why you're losing out?

single jabs against a CP? Good luck landing ever.

Footwork/Pivots/Feints.

You can look to great fighters to study (also need to study their opponent to see why they got hit ) BUT if it doesn't fit your natural fighting style it can be hard to replicate (depends how adaptable you are, muscle memory etc.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AGREED THERE THOSE SINGLE JABS WON'T WORK.........also keep your left hand up closer to your jaw man!!!!!!!

Thread Information