Thread: How good was Deontay Wilder?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Deontay Wilder?

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I like how you went through each decade. Good job.

I'll go back to Liston. Not to underrate the guy, but Sonny pretty preyed on opposition that was basically scared shitless of him. Ergo, his destruction of guys like Floyd Patterson.
    But Liston was a plodder. And then there's Wilder's size and cannon of a right hand like you say. Anything's possible in the ring... but I see Liston being tailormade for someone like Wilder. I think Wilder stops him with a huge right in the early to mid rounds.

From the 70's, no way Wilder comes anywhere close to beating the likes of Foreman or Ali. Frazier... it depends... but a leaping left hook from Smokin' Joe and Wilder goes bye-bye. Frazier was super busy... and that might make all the difference.

By the 90's, heavyweights were already getting bigger and heavier. As you said... Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield... way out of Wilder's league.

Contrary to what some here have said, I don't think Wilder's necessarily done. He doesn't match up well with Fury. That much is clear. But assuming he's still got the hunger to be champion, he matches up pretty well with most other HW's out there. People dump on his lack of boxing skills... but I think he's tried mightily to fix some of the wrongs. He's teachable, even if not 100% so. Today's crop of HW's aren't anything to write home about. You get past the Furys and the Joshuas... there isn't much else out there. Someone like Andy Ruiz would be an interesting test. If the Ruiz who beat Joshua in their 1st fight shows up... it's highly likely Wilder gets beat. But with Ruiz you never know.

One thing Wilder has proven is heart. And that counts for a lot.
    That seems like one of the easier ones to make Wilder v Ruiz. They were jawing back and forth about a fight before Andy returned v Arreola and thinking about it pretty interesting styles mix up. Love to see what Ruiz could do with the volume and inside mixing and perfect for Wilder to display that 1-2 and learned patience at range in spots. Then again Ruiz was dropped hard by the other side of Arreola so exactly how urgent would he be to get inside on Wilders eraser. Biggest question for me on Wilder is that grey matter now. Losing is one thing but back to back knockout losses at 36 is a totally different animal.

I know what you mean about the back-to-backs. On the other hand, Wilder showed us a side of him he'd never had to show before. The willingness to go on even as he was being beaten to the punch and was in bad condition..... heart.

Tough to say how his mindset is now after the hard reality that he'll never beat a Tyson Fury.

But let's say his mind and heart are still in it. Other than those two knockout losses, Wilder hasn't been subjected to the type of career that leads to "Punch-Drunk City." He also showed he can more than hang with big bangers like Luis Ortiz.

That's what leads me to believe that... IF... he still has his winning mentality... he can still beat most other HW's out there today.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    HW division has always been the most suspect.

Let's Take Foreman as mentioned- This is a guy whose mental makeup-broke down. After Ali he was suspect- & we are not talking the fast fleeing Clay, rather the dude who invented laying on the ropes as some scientific accomplishment.

When Lyle dropped him again and again- While a powerful puncher- I can't say his right is more lethal than Wilder's. So if Ron dropped Lyle- as Cosell stated "This isnt artistic, this is slugging...the way the people want it"

More than likely Wilder drops George too. Does he outbox him the way Jimmy Young did that made him retire? Oh no! But It is more than likely if Wilder catches Young he drops him. And since Shavers had to land that garage sale righthand.. not sure it lands on a guy as tall as Wilder. And I have yet to see a sloppier puncher past 5 rounds than Ernie Shavers.

I think Tim Witherspoon that fought Holmes, dusts Wilder.
    The Witherspoon that fought Bonecrusher 2nd time out? Gets laid out...but I truly think the Bonecrusher that laid out Witherspoon 2nd time around KO's Wilder.

The greatest so called of the 1970s & early 80s IMO wouldnt be that tough for Wilder. But the gatekeepers I think would have been disasterous for him.
    He beats Shavers, Lyle, maybe a come from behind KO after Jimmy Young boxes perfect for 9 1/2 rounds LOL!
    Wilder possibly loses to Tex Cobb. Cob withstands all punishment- Wilder proved he can only take so much.

I was sort of going along... until Tex Cobb.

Tex Cobb?? Really?

Yes... Cobb was beaten from pillar to post by much superior boxers, such as Larry Holmes. Cobb's main line of defense was his face, blocking all those shots.

But let's not lose perspective.

None of Cobb's losses were to "one-punch erasers." And... he DID have one KO loss on his record, so it's not like he was never knocked out.

No. Wilder could very easily do a "Dominic Breazeale" on the brave Tex Cobb.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    HW division has always been the most suspect.

Let's Take Foreman as mentioned- This is a guy whose mental makeup-broke down. After Ali he was suspect- & we are not talking the fast fleeing Clay, rather the dude who invented laying on the ropes as some scientific accomplishment.

When Lyle dropped him again and again- While a powerful puncher- I can't say his right is more lethal than Wilder's. So if Ron dropped Lyle- as Cosell stated "This isnt artistic, this is slugging...the way the people want it"

More than likely Wilder drops George too. Does he outbox him the way Jimmy Young did that made him retire? Oh no! But It is more than likely if Wilder catches Young he drops him. And since Shavers had to land that garage sale righthand.. not sure it lands on a guy as tall as Wilder. And I have yet to see a sloppier puncher past 5 rounds than Ernie Shavers.

I think Tim Witherspoon that fought Holmes, dusts Wilder.
    The Witherspoon that fought Bonecrusher 2nd time out? Gets laid out...but I truly think the Bonecrusher that laid out Witherspoon 2nd time around KO's Wilder.

The greatest so called of the 1970s & early 80s IMO wouldnt be that tough for Wilder. But the gatekeepers I think would have been disasterous for him.
    He beats Shavers, Lyle, maybe a come from behind KO after Jimmy Young boxes perfect for 9 1/2 rounds LOL!
    Wilder possibly loses to Tex Cobb. Cob withstands all punishment- Wilder proved he can only take so much.

I was sort of going along... until Tex Cobb.

Tex Cobb?? Really?

Yes... Cobb was beaten from pillar to post by much superior boxers, such as Larry Holmes. Cobb's main line of defense was his face, blocking all those shots.

But let's not lose perspective.

None of Cobb's losses were to "one-punch erasers." And... he DID have one KO loss on his record, so it's not like he was never knocked out.

No. Wilder could very easily do a "Dominic Breazeale" on the brave Tex Cobb.

OK! I was going by a single fight- Cob over Shavers. Without that example..yeah the most one can do is...kind of go along with what I said!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I give Cobb a pass on the solo ko loss..he wasn't getting one punch erased by anyone. Fair to say around the time he was one foot out the door of boxing while kicking into and balancing a successful movie and TV career. Wilder can't balance himself on two feet . And lest we forget how badly hurt he was with the heavy hands of Molina and Ortiz. Ah love the hypotheticals D.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A big punch and long levers to deliver that punch making him dangerous. Skill wise he is amongst the worst to ever make it to the top.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    A big punch and long levers to deliver that punch making him dangerous. Skill wise he is amongst the worst to ever make it to the top.
    And to have stayed on top for 1/2 decade gives us an idea on the affairs of the HW division. Unless one is blessed with talent AND hones their skills.
    One punch can erase everything.

https://www.ringtv.com/631720-former...at-retirement/
    FORMER WBC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLEHOLDER DEONTAY WILDER HINTS AT RETIREMENT

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1971886.html
    Deontay Wilder hints at retirement from boxing after Tyson Fury defeat
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'GREAT EVENT' Deontay Wilder tipped to face Andy Ruiz in blockbuster Mexico City fight a week after teasing retirement

DEONTAY WILDER has been tipped to take part in a 'wonderful' showdown with Andy Ruiz Jr in Mexico City.

A clash with the former unified heavyweight champion is understood to be on the table for the Bronze Bomber following his brutal 11th-round KO defeat to Tyson Fury in October.

And WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman believes the fight would be the perfect bout to mark the return of big-time boxing to The City of Palaces.

He said: "[That fight] would be wonderful, and it is consistent with what the plans are for Mexico City [to secure big boxing events].

"We have been looking to return a great event to our capital.

"There have always been great fights [in Mexico City], but we have had many years without having a great event in Mexico City and yes indeed, Andy Ruiz, [a fight against Wilder] would be wonderful.

“The Wilder-Ruiz fight is perhaps the most interesting non-title fight right now [at heavyweight].

"Wilder is an explosive boxer, Andy Ruiz is a Mexican fighter, having achieved one of the great upsets in the history of heavyweight boxing and the great traction he has with Mexican fans is great, I would love to see him here in Mexico."

Mexico's first heavyweight champion Ruiz Jr is champing at the bit to share the ring with the former WBC king, recently telling Brian Custer: “I think that would be an amazing fight, me against Deontay Wilder.

“We’re both a part of the same team you know. I wouldn’t mind getting into the ring with him. I feel like I can beat him. We gotta get it on.”

Wilder, 36, is still processing his devastating defeat in his trilogy fight with Fury and recently admitted he could hang up his gloves.

He told comedian Kevin Hart: “It’s mixed feelings because ultimately I have accomplished all my goals in this sport. I told my daughter when she was one that I’d be a champion and I’d be able to support her beyond her belief.

“I’ve done that. There’s a lot of things that I’ve accomplished that I feel I have to prove to anyone because I’ve already proven [myself].

“Should I push forward? Should I give it a go one more time?

"Or should I just retire and focus on the other things that I already have, other things that I want to get into?”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17069...dy-ruiz-fight/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prior to reading what Wilder said, I would've given him a fighting chance against anyone else besides Tyson Fury. It's not like Deontay fought no one but bums leading up to Fury.
    I still maintain that Wilder has progressed enough to beat 95% of the HW's out there.

But reading about him saying he's "accomplished everything there is to do in boxing" and hinting about retirement makes it a different ballgame altogether.
    Anytime a fighter says this after devastating losses, it hints at a loss of heart and desire.
    If Wilder is going to go forward thinking he's got nothing to learn and nothing to atone for... or even something more to achieve.... he may as well hang them up now for sure.

With less than a 100% percent mentality... and if Ruiz lays off the burritos and gets back to "1st AJ fight" form... Wilder may as well suffer another devastating KO loss... and then for sure he should hang them up.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually think Wilder is awful and would lose to AJ, Whyte and Joyce but feel he can beat Ruiz. If he does not knock him out he can out box him as he did Steverne.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good enough to be champ. Better than AJ because he faced his arch-nemesis thrice and lost twice. It took guts coming back from the second fight. But AJ on the other hand shit himself with the thought of fighting Fury or Wilder. Something has to be said about that because AJ has lost to a pudgy fat ass and then by a cruiserweight.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information