Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Wilder suddenly become the “A Side” against AJ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has Wilder suddenly become the “A Side” against AJ?

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Here is the thing. Wilder fought who everyone considered a real threat and still won. I feel like people just keep discrediting him. I definitely agree that he lacks tons of skill, but he has passed every test to at least prove that he belongs with AJ. AJ to me hasn’t really proven much more than Wilder.
    AJ beat Wladimir Klitschko...like it or not that means a great deal more than a decision over Stiverne or this win over Ortiz. AJ also got up to win, that's a big deal.
    I never rated Wlad that highly so to me it’s a solid win for sure and better than the Ortiz win, but not enough to prove that AJ is on another level. Honestly, I think that Wilder could have beaten Wlad too at that time. We will never know though.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Here is the thing. Wilder fought who everyone considered a real threat and still won. I feel like people just keep discrediting him. I definitely agree that he lacks tons of skill, but he has passed every test to at least prove that he belongs with AJ. AJ to me hasn’t really proven much more than Wilder.
    AJ beat Wladimir Klitschko...like it or not that means a great deal more than a decision over Stiverne or this win over Ortiz. AJ also got up to win, that's a big deal.
    I never rated Wlad that highly so to me it’s a solid win for sure and better than the Ortiz win, but not enough to prove that AJ is on another level. Honestly, I think that Wilder could have beaten Wlad too at that time. We will never know though.
    2nd longest reigning heavyweight champion EVER and it's not a big deal to beat him? OK to each their own. As an American I'd love to see the belts back here in the states and there be another fighter to get excited about. Wilder could very well be that guy, but I just think AJ is more polished and in a fight I trust the person who takes the time to aim rather than the person who fires off wildly from the hip.

The main issue for us as fans is the AJ-Wilder fight MUST happen and it MUST happen immediately like the entire sport off boxing depends on it. Undefeated vs Undefeated giant vs giant power vs power these kind of fights must happen if boxing is to remain relevant otherwise why fucking watch the sport. I think it could be an amazing event especially if they can piggy back some other top notch fights on that card to make it a once in a lifetime event as it should be.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ brings way more money than Wilder and has more belts so AJ is the A side no question.
    This could be over in a few rounds when it happens and for me it's 50 - 50 who wins.
    Might come down to who can climb off the floor and keep on going, this could be a real Heavyweight classic

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    AJ brings way more money than Wilder and has more belts so AJ is the A side no question.
    This could be over in a few rounds when it happens and for me it's 50 - 50 who wins.
    Might come down to who can climb off the floor and keep on going, this could be a real Heavyweight classic
    I agree its 50/50 I constantly make an argument for one to win it and then counter it with an argument for how the other can win it.
    I do think though that when one of them get hit they will stay hit, when AJ was dropped and when Wilder was hurt the old men didn't have the energy to finish it, that won't be the case in this fight, as soon as one of them it in danger it will be finished pretty sharpish I reckon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I agree its 50/50 I constantly make an argument for one to win it and then counter it with an argument for how the other can win it.
    I do think though that when one of them get hit they will stay hit, when AJ was dropped and when Wilder was hurt the old men didn't have the energy to finish it, that won't be the case in this fight, as soon as one of them it in danger it will be finished pretty sharpish I reckon.
    Spot on

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bit of an odd thing to say, Master. I do not identify with the extreme right. It is the extreme wrong that I have a problem with.

My issue with Joshua is that he is pampered and protected. Beating a beaten Wlad of 40 fresh off a layoff and a loss isn't the big deal it is made out to be. I want to see him in with an undefeated, fresh lion and my hunch is that he comes unstuck.

I like Wilder. He is lippy but from the heart. I like the lack of media training, he seems like he is for real. He has also shown a refusal to be beaten and think that heart runs deep. He's hungry and will tear Joshua up. He will unleash the windmill as Joshua gases and he always gasses.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ignore Master, he has no understanding of context, nuance, sublte sarcasm or humour. Keep it on topic @Master

Wilder-Joshua popularity?
    A-side-B-side?
    $2m-vs-$25m?
    8000-vs-80,000 tickets?
    Zero PPV-vs-3 million PPV sales?
    Klitschko-Ortiz?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't like to put all my money on the outcome of this fight , everybody keeps saying how poor Wilder is but he keeps on winning .
    He is sharp all be it unorthodox , but his power is deadly.
    I will pay to see the outcome for sure.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only way Wilder has a sniff of getting close to being 'The A side' is in a rematch after he absolutely clatters Joshua in a first fight. Even then the best he can hope for is 50/50. I'm not sure why people think beating Ortiz changes anything?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    I wouldn't like to put all my money on the outcome of this fight , everybody keeps saying how poor Wilder is but he keeps on winning .
    True but I'd posit that the opposition he has faced has provided him the opportunity to be caught in certain situations yet recover. Someone will capitalize on his mistakes in the future...I'm thinking Anthony Joshua is that dude, but we will see the fight HAS to happen.

As a boxing fan I just want the fight to happen as soon as possible. We're past the up & comer stage, we're past the challenger stage, we're champion vs champion right now and the fight is not going to get any bigger than what we have right now. Make the fight right now or this fight spoils on the vine like so many before it. This is a golden opportunity for boxing to get back into the mix of things, be more relevant have some brand names out there!

If this fight happens before 2020 I'll be shocked.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leave it to boxing fans to rag on what they want.
    Sharpshooter? We call them boring.
    Balls to the walls Fireshooter? We call them wild and unprofessional.

Now I'm that old dude..remembering when Holyfield was crapped on...because (HE) only fought old men.
    Not because he wanted to or bad management....hell if top contenders lost to the old ass Holmes & Forman--what was Holy to do ?

IMO same with Wilder.
    I wonder do any of us fans question....when was the last time Wilder said

"I'll fight him...IF THE MONEY IS RIGHT?" He fought a high-risk-low-reward fight...knowingly.
    Dude is as you state Darklord...Sharp...but unorthodox as muthatrucker!!!!
    I love it!

I wonder in HW HISTORY has there ever been a Champ that had
    A. Killer Power B. Superb Reflexes. C. SharpShooter D. Endurance E. Chin?
    Seems everyone missed something up there...then made up for it when shit hits the fan.
    Seems like every TOP HW champ of the past usually got their toughest fight from the unlikeliest of challenges.

We got 2 Young dogs. both undefeated. Both likeble-not the brash Mayweather...dryHopkins sense of humor.
    Neither are easily to dislike _think Broner.
    Both got power.
    Both can be hurt.
    Both willing to leave it all in the ring.

Leave it to fans to find something wrong with that.

We haven't always agreed DarkLord...But I had to log in to agree with you...if ya don't mind!!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 03-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Now I'm that old dude..remembering when Holyfield was crapped on...because (HE) only fought old men.
    Not because he wanted to or bad management....hell if top contenders lost to the old ass Holmes & Forman--what was Holy to do ?

IMO same with Wilder.

"I'll fight him...IF THE MONEY IS RIGHT?" He fought a high-risk-low-reward fight...knowingly.
    I love it!

Seems everyone missed something up there...then made up for it when shit hits the fan.
    Seems like every TOP HW champ of the past usually got their toughest fight from the unlikeliest of challenges.

We got 2 Young dogs. both undefeated. Both likeble-not the brash Mayweather...dryHopkins sense of humor.
    Both got power.
    Both can be hurt.

We haven't always agreed DarkLord...But I had to log in to agree withission...if ya don't mind!!
    mm that was so good I just might steal it with year permissions, of course

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

El Kabong Guest

All I want to see is the fight actually happen. I THINK Joshua will win, I'm not certain of it but I'm leaning that way simply because I rate the offensive prowess of AJ & Wilder as A+, I rate AJ's ring generalship higher, but like as has been said Wilder is unpredictable he fights more like he just stepped outside a bar than stepped into a ring and that offers him a different kind of aura about him...not bad, just different.

As for opponents, I know AJ is a gold medalist and Wilder is a bronze medalist. Wilder was 30-5 as an amateur, Joshua was 40-3....there's not much difference there. When they turned pros is where you see the difference. AJ was seemingly paced, pick the right opponent get the training in, get the rounds in. Wilder was fed bums for about 4 years.

Jason Gavern was Anthony Joshua's 11th pro fight (2015)....he was Deontay Wilder's 32nd pro fight (2014). Eric Molina was AJ's 18th fight (2016)....he was Wilder's 34th fight (2015). Does that mean AJ will beat Wilder for certain, HELL NO! It means earlier in his professional career AJ is taking fights that Wilder didn't take until later in his career and yes that will lead to people thinking Wilder's record is a bit padded.

As raw as Wilder is/was I think he NEEDED those years of feasting on tomato cans so that his trainer could hone his skills....I'm impressed with the guy he jumped from tomato cans to challengers right into title fights with ease so far. I also don't want to forget AJ's struggles in his last fight vs Takam. Takam is tough, but should have not lasted like he did vs AJ. Maybe it's just a hangover after the big fight vs Wlad (which could have taken a lot out of AJ) but we'll see. Parker is no slouch that's going to be a tough fight.

I am thinking that Wilder vs Parker won't be as big as Wilder vs AJ, but don't count it out from happening. Like I said I just want to see the best vs the best.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t feel like either has ducked anyone lately. Wilder obviously took a while to start fighting anybody with a pulse, but for the past few years he has fought anybody that is put in front of him. And don’t forget that some of them tested positive for banned substances.

Anyways. If AJ beats Parker, an AJ vs Wilder fight is the most excited I will have been for a HW fight since pre Wlad. Probably since Lewis vs Vitali.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

IMO same with Wilder.

I love it!

Both got power.
    Both can be hurt.

We haven't always agreed DarkLord...But I had to log in to agree withission...if ya don't mind!!
    mm that was so good I just might steal it with year permissions, of course
    LMAO....when I read posts from you I liked,.....I just took yo' shit and never told u........damn plagiarizing...Trae!
    As stated above...I, too just want to see the best fighting the best...however (BEST) they might be?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information