Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Floyd varies opinions like no other boxer. And I’m not saying he was TBE. But he has every right to put his name up for it.
    Look at his career and tell me a fight he didn’t win COMFORTABLY. Yes he had a moment in the Moseley fight, yes Maidana made a nuisance of himself with him. But I don’t think there was a fight where he got a decision he shouldn’t have got.
    So with all that in mind, there was probably more left in the tank.
    Btw, people say that future P4Per Canelo was a boy when they fought, but he was a 23 year old with over 40 fights under his belt. And Floyd was 37 ffs! Who else does what he does at 37?
    Deserves respect even by the haters.
    jose luis castillo one? i give floyd huge respect for the immediate rematch with el temible. floyd could have probably beaten anyone on his night, the jose luis rematch for example but i can't give him credit for fights he never fought. for me after jose luis there was never a challenge that was close to fifty fifty going in
    I thought Castillo won the first fight. I give Floyd a ton of credit for the immediate rematch as well. I feel like the Mosley fight and Hatton fight were both 50/50. Mosley was coming off the destruction or Margo and ranked #3 p4p. Hatton was unified champ at 140, undefeated, and ranked p4p. Those were good wins.

There really weren’t many threats to Floyd who stayed relevant long enough to hype the fight. Judah had hype after destroying Spinks, but then lost to Baldomir. Margo had hype and lost to Paul Williams and then was blown out by Shane. Paul Williams had hype and then lost to Quintana and Martinez. Manny was the one available prime fighter he never fought. Full disclosure, I’m team Manny, but even with tHat I don’t think Floyd ducked Manny. I feel like both fighters negotiated themselVes out of the biggest fight of their generation. It was past its sell by date when THEY got back around to it.
    shane was years removed from his days at one thirty five, yes he did have the win over antonio but personally i think the miguel cotto fight took more out of antonio than is realized. rivky was champion at one forty & technically undefeated but had already been shown up at welter by luis collazo. those were good wins but not close to fifty fifty in my opinion. there were threats but the fights never came to fruition for whatever reasons. joel & acelino would have been better than jesus & carlos. paul & leonard would have been better than victoriano & phillip. kostya would have been better than anyone floyd fought at one forty & floyd should have fought miguel or antonio instead of retiring & leaving them to fight each other. there was also winky where a deal was in place but floyd pulled out & sergio at one sixty for the middleweight championship. don't get me wrong floyd probably beats them all but i can't give floyd credit for fights he didn't fight. floyd had the ability to actually be tbe but unfortunately he missed the opportunities to do so in the ring
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd varies opinions like no other boxer. And I’m not saying he was TBE. But he has every right to put his name up for it.
    Look at his career and tell me a fight he didn’t win COMFORTABLY. Yes he had a moment in the Moseley fight, yes Maidana made a nuisance of himself with him. But I don’t think there was a fight where he got a decision he shouldn’t have got.
    Btw, people say that future P4Per Canelo was a boy when they fought, but he was a 23 year old with over 40 fights under his belt. And Floyd was 37 ffs! Who else does what he does at 37?
    jose luis castillo one? i give floyd huge respect for the immediate rematch with el temible. floyd could have probably beaten anyone on his night, the jose luis rematch for example but i can't give him credit for fights he never fought. for me after jose luis there was never a challenge that was close to fifty fifty going in
    I thought Castillo won the first fight. I give Floyd a ton of credit for the immediate rematch as well. I feel like the Mosley fight and Hatton fight were both 50/50. Mosley was coming off the destruction or Margo and ranked #3 p4p. Hatton was unified champ at 140, undefeated, and ranked p4p. Those were good wins.

There really weren’t many threats to Floyd who stayed relevant long enough to hype the fight. Judah had hype after destroying Spinks, but then lost to Baldomir. Margo had hype and lost to Paul Williams and then was blown out by Shane. Paul Williams had hype and then lost to Quintana and Martinez. Manny was the one available prime fighter he never fought. Full disclosure, I’m team Manny, but even with tHat I don’t think Floyd ducked Manny. I feel like both fighters negotiated themselVes out of the biggest fight of their generation. It was past its sell by date when THEY got back around to it.
    Appreciate your opinions on this but the last part really gets me. The fight was agreed. And Manny backed out. For people to then blame both sides is again simply not fair to Floyd.

That fight was never going to trouble Floyd, he had better legs in 2010 to better set Manny up and he was always going to set Manny up. But that is opinion. The fight didn’t happen in March of 2011 because Manny backed out, that is fact.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

shane was years removed from his days at one thirty five, yes he did have the win over antonio but personally i think the miguel cotto fight took more out of antonio than is realized. rivky was champion at one forty & technically undefeated but had already been shown up at welter by luis collazo. those were good wins but not close to fifty fifty in my opinion. there were threats but the fights never came to fruition for whatever reasons. joel & acelino would have been better than jesus & carlos. paul & leonard would have been better than victoriano & phillip. kostya would have been better than anyone floyd fought at one forty & floyd should have fought miguel or antonio instead of retiring & leaving them to fight each other. there was also winky where a deal was in place but floyd pulled out & sergio at one sixty for the middleweight championship. don't get me wrong floyd probably beats them all but i can't give floyd credit for fights he didn't fight. floyd had the ability to actually be tbe but unfortunately he missed the opportunities to do so in the ring
    You’re supposed to judge fighters on who they did fight. In 20 years as a pro and 5 weight divisions of course you can’t fight everyone

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

You’re supposed to judge fighters on who they did fight. In 20 years as a pro and 5 weight divisions of course you can’t fight everyone
    i am judging floyd on what he did in the ring. i never said he had to fight everyone, just listed potential threats to floyd is response to the previous post
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd was running round in circles but if he stood and fight, toe to toe, he gets knocked out old

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i am judging floyd on what he did in the ring. i never said he had to fight everyone, just listed potential threats to floyd is response to the previous post
    When you compare the ATG you have to look at what they did not do but should have done to separate them. Floyd has gaps and does not compare to the true greats.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The goal of boxing is to hit and not get hit, and perhaps no other fighter better understood this than Floyd.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    The goal of boxing is to hit and not get hit, and perhaps no other fighter better understood this than Floyd.
    Sweat Pea did it better.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Floyd was running round in circles but if he stood and fight, toe to toe, he gets knocked out old
    Well if that is the case, dare I suggest it’s pretty smart not to fight toe to toe? Or should he just get knocked out to please you.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Well if that is the case, dare I suggest it’s pretty smart not to fight toe to toe? Or should he just get knocked out to please you.
    Yes he was extremely smart. I said very clearly that nobody in history would have an easy time beating him at his weights. Just pointing out that he was lacking that aspect which rounded out great fighters like Henry Armstrong and sugar Ray Robinson who could run around in circles but then also slug it out unlike Floyd, but by no means should he stand there and get knocked out just because I want him to.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

When you compare the ATG you have to look at what they did not do but should have done to separate them. Floyd has gaps and does not compare to the true greats.
    What a convenient way to be completely biased. He didn’t fight Henley Hinckley and I think Henley Hinkler would have beat him so I will mark him down. It’s nonsense. You judge on what they did do, the only thing that isn’t opinion. But facts, what happened doesn’t suit your narrative so go ahead with your fallacy. Can’t prove a negative so you win right? Flying Spaghetti Monster logic

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a convenient way to be completely biased. He didn’t fight Henley Hinckley and I think Henley Hinkler would have beat him so I will mark him down. It’s nonsense. You judge on what they did do, the only thing that isn’t opinion. But facts, what happened doesn’t suit your narrative so go ahead with your fallacy. Can’t prove a negative so you win right? Flying Spaghetti Monster logic
    When you are comparing the ATG you have to separate them and that is one factor you use in the discussion.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you are comparing the ATG you have to separate them and that is one factor you use in the discussion.
    Try this for separating ATG’s
    1. A 37 year old beating a 23 year old 43-0 world champion heavier than him , who would go on to be P4P #1.
    OR
    2. A 34 year old getting beat by an ex LHW , with 7 pro fights and a 6-0-1 record due to a draw with Scott Le Doux in a 10 rounder.

So there you have it, one can use whatever bullshit they like to prove their point , but it never tells the whole story.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A boxer in their 30’s in 1970’s was older in “boxing terms” than those in Floyd's era. Ali had much more fights and the competition greater.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A boxer in their 30’s in 1970’s was older in “boxing terms” than those in Floyd's era. Ali had much more fights and the competition greater.
    Not true. Yes , Ali had more fights. No, the competition wasn’t necessarily greater. And Spinks was in his 8th pro fight! I suppose that “in the 70’s” that meant he was a seasoned pro nowadays? Keep spinning how you like.
    I never said Floyd was above Ali. But I did say Floyd has earned the right to say he was and to say he’s up there.
    Why do you need to constantly, irrationally disrespect Floyd’s record?

Thread Information