Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Who wins and how in the Cruiserweight Unification?

Voters
54. This poll is closed
  • David Haye KO

37 68.52%
  • David Haye UD

1 1.85%
  • Draw

0 0%
  • Enzo Maccarinelli UD

3 5.56%
  • Enzo Maccarinelli KO

13 24.07%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: David Haye v Enzo Maccarinelli - Cruiserweight Title Unification RBR

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default David Haye v Enzo Maccarinelli - Cruiserweight Title Unification RBR

Evning Guys,

This weekend has a wealth of boxing in store for us British fans, and here at Saddoboxing we'll be bringing 4 (Yes, count them....4!!!) Title fights over two evenings of loaded big hitting action on Friday and Saturday night. The previews will follow over the next couple of days, but here's the schedule we have for you. Also, there's a poll, so get your votes in on who wins the big one between Haye and Maccarinelli.

Friday:
    Kiko Martinez v Rendall Munroe (European Super Bantamweight Title)
    Jason Booth v Lante Addy (Commonwealth Bantamweight Title)

Saturday:
    Carl Johanneson v Kevin Mitchell (British Super Featherweight Title)
    David Haye v Enzo Maccarinelli (WBA, WBC, WBO Cruiserweight Titles)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Haye v Enzo Maccarinelli RBR - Cruiserweight World Title Unification

Previews:

Kiko Martinez (17-0, 14KOs) shocked many people as he exploded on the European boxing scene with a devastating demolition of Bernard Dunne within one round in August last year, and after withdrawing from a fight with Wayne McCullough a few months ago after failing to make the weight, makes the first defence of his title. Before destroying Dunne, Martinez was unheralded and unheard of, but the short powerhouse rocked Dunne with big shots from the first bell, and didn't let up until the Irishman was forced to quit halfway through the first round. With so little experience at this level, its difficult to gauge how Martinez will fare if it goes beyond the early rounds. He has only once gone 12 rounds, again John Bikai with an unimpressive record of 6-15 at the time, and it will be interesting to see whether Martinez will go all-out from the first bell again come Friday.

Rendall Munroe (13-1, 6KOs) on the other hand only has one loss when he was fighting for the British title one level above against the experienced and then-undefeated Andy Morris. Munroe is coming off the best performance of his career in October where he was far too strong and dominated Marc Callaghan as he claimed the English Super Bantamweight title with a stoppage. Munroe will be going in a big underdog, and will need a tough guard and firm jab to keep Martinez from getting too close and unleashing the hooks that pulverised Dunne.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Haye v Enzo Maccarinelli RBR - Cruiserweight World Title Unification

Jason Booth (28-5, 11 KOs) is certainly not a big puncher, but will be going in against a complete unknown quantity as he makes the first defence of his Commonwealth Bantamweight title as the chief support for the European title fight. Booth was a succesful British titlist at Flyweight, and campaigned at Super Flyweight, but in his recent fights at Bantamweight, was beaten by diminutive Ian Napa for the British title, before claiming the Commonwealth strap with a good stoppage over relative novice Matthew Edmonds who was in only his seventh fight. Booth is a stylish boxer and doesn't like to get too involved in wars, rather to outfox and outbox his opponent.

LAnte Addy (5-0, 3KOs) will be fighting outside Ghana for the first time, and although boxrec lists him at 5-0, that could well be very different in reality. Having already claimed Ghanaian, West African and WBO Inter-continental titles, it could be an indication that Addy could be a threat. Other than that, what else could be said about the man nobody knows nothing about?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Johanneson (27-3, 19KOs) will finally step through the ropes with Kevin Mitchell this weekend, making the fourth defence of his British Super Featherweight title in this eagerly anticipated match up. Johanneson is a heavy puncher who has proved that he can go 12-rounds in battering Ricky Burns. He is also coming off a 6-round KO in a sensational fight against Michael Gomez last October which was a contender for British fight of the year. However, when making the step up against Leva Kirakosyan for the European title, Johanneson was demolished by big hooks and fought bravely for four rounds before it finished. The Leeds fighter will be the away man in London, but if action replicates his bout against Gomez, neither set of fans will go home disappointed.

Kevin Mitchell (25-0, 18KOs) is an equally spiteful puncher who has dispatched British and world journeymen alike with relative ease so far, and has been calling for a bout with Johanneson for quite some time. Mitchell is on a streak of three KO finishes in the first half of fights, and is coming off an easy third-round KO of Edison Torres who stepped in when Johanneson originally withdrew from their first matchup on 12 January. An exciting fighter himself, Johanneson will be the toughest test so far for Mitchell, and will need a win if he is to show himself to have the potential for even higher honours, as promoter Frank Warren believes he is.

An explosive fight between two punchers, in a night of explosive fights between two punchers!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

David Haye (20-1, 19KOs) is making his final appearance at Cruiserweight, and is hoping to make the step up to heavyweight as the undisputed champion of the 14'4" division with a win over Maccarinelli. A natural puncher who has to boil down to make the weight, Haye's best chance of victory will probably be in the earlier rounds when he is freshest, and will need to find the gaps in Maccarinelli's defence and land the big shots he is famed for. Haye is a longtime European titlist at cruiserweight who KO'd a WBC ranked heavyweight in his debut amongst the big boys in one round. However, his crowning glory so far was the enthralling manner of his victory over Jean Marc Mormeck last November when he rose from the floor, dazed and seemingly destined for defeat in the fourth round to dethrone the French champion in a seventh round KO. Haye will probably go into the fight a narrow favourite, and much could indeed depend on how much he has lost in terms of strength, stamina and endurance in making the cruiserweight limit. Haye's only defeat came at the hands of Carl Thompson early in his career in only his 11th fight, where Haye seemed to have Thompson in trouble early on, but gave too much too soon, and was eventually KOd in the fifth round.

Enzo Maccarinelli (28-1, 21KOs) will be bringing the third title to this particular party, having completed four defences of his WBO strap, and having improved greatly since joining Enzo Calzaghe's stable in 2006. Maccarinelli's experience of the later rounds could give him the edge if the fight goes to the second half, and has shown good defence and boxing skills as well as power in his points win over big-hitting former champ Wayne Braithwaite last summer. The sole blemish on his record was a KO defeat to journeyman Lee Swaby in only his fourth fight, which Maccarinelli claims to have learnt a lot from, and helped make him the fighter he is today.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great stuff Rhun. I'm really pumped for this fight. Unfortunately my mate has chosen this weekend as his stag weekend and I have to go to Prague for 4 days and so will miss it.

Saturday night we are booked into a Steak and Tits night with 2 strippers to be passed around between 8 of us and then a trip to the finest brothel.

I actually want to pass on this and find an English sports pub so I can watch this instead.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I've mentioned a few times before, I'm heading to London this Saturday to watch the fight as thought it was far too good an opportunity to miss. It's a difficult one as I like both guys and as far as I see, at this point in time they are very evenly matched. You have to feel that as good as this is for British Boxing, the outcome will benefit one division, and hinder the other. If Enzo wins, its great for the Cruiserweight Division but may seriously hinder the confidence of Haye moving up to Heavyweight. If Haye wins though, this will hurt the Cruiser division as he is almost certain to vacate 3 big world titles, and add a defeat to one of the best in the divisions records. Although having a big exciting puncher will only help the most glamorous division in boxing that is in desperate need of some fresh blood.

As an English guy, I'm rooting for Haye and my feeling is that he is a better fighter than Enzo so I've gone with a Haye KO. This is wityh my fair share of doubts though, as I worry that David finding it difficult to make weight could benefit Enzo the longer the fight goes on.

Tactically, I believe Enzo will adopt a similar tactical style to what he did against Braithwaite. Enzo will use fast hands and a high guard and try and outbox Haye, dragging him into the later rounds for the KO. Haye on the other hand is looking to prove superiority in a big way, and I imagine will go for the early KO. I believe Enzo won't be able to avoid the big shots, and I think we'll see the end around round 7.

I'll take the camera with me, and post some vids & phots when I get back.

Oh, and rep to Rhun, for setting this one up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would really like to give a nice crisp analysis of all of the potentially great fights that we have on offer this week. However, I'm far to distracted by the "main event" so to speak.
    Enzo and David are to evidentally big hitters. Both men have the power to anihalate any man in the division and together they present an exciting match up.

However, it is my view that this power may be the cause of a disappointment, as both men are aware of the others power prior to entering the ring. They could provide fireworks, but this surely would end in a knockout in the early rounds...Is their a minimum time frame for a great fight? It could also see both men being overly cautious, afraid of fatigue in the later rounds or a flash knockdown in the early rounds.
    I see Haye starting Hot, Enzo starting Cold and aimining for the later ounds. Haye fading if it goes past 5 and then Enzo will ignite.
    I don't see the two guys at full steam at the one time.

So will it be a great fight? I'm not so sure.
    Will it be a great finish? Almost certainly.

Praying for an Enzo stoppage Round 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good point by BZ about each winner being detrimental to particular division, probably the best result would be an Enzo win by close decision with Haye able to blame the weight thing. Like you I'm being patriotic and picking Enzo by KO, but I don't dislike Haye at all. It might be bluffing or something, but I get the feeling from all Haye's quotes that he's putting all his eggs in one basket and going for the early knockout, maybe that's just what he wants Enzo to think.

Both guys IMO will be going into unknown territorry against their best opponents to date on Saturday, though David was in a big fight last time out, I feel there'll be more pressurre on him this time being a the favourite. I'm picking Enzo toknockout a tiring Haye late on, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys that think the fight is going late can get some tasty odds with the bookies, they're position is firmly in the short night camp.

I'm almost looking forward to Mitchell-Johanneson as much as the big one. Before the scheduled last fight I fancied the fresher Mitchell, but changed my mind because what exactly does Mitchell do that makes him that bit better class? He's pretty ordinary, no?

The more seasoned Carl to pull a Gomez-Arthur job.
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-03-2008 at 11:39 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I get really good odds on Enzo round 10 I'll consider it. But I'm fully aware that Haye could do it real early if Enzo laps in concentration for a second.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I guess it's a crazy fight to bet on.. I think it's an early job

I expect Enzo to start cautious but I also expect Haye to "frighten" him into going gung-ho

Come on Haye!!!

33/1 for Enzo round 10.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i predict enzo to win in the mid to late rounds by ko/tko. there will be a knockdown or two in this fight

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Undercard discussion time for me now...

Kevin Mitchell vs. Carl Johanneson

I was looking forward to this one around the time I heard Carl was booked in for a fight with Gomez, and I'm so glad the fight got postponed in January because it means I now have a shit hot undercard fight to watch. Carls performance against Gomez was a cracker. He looked seasoned, he didn't panic and he used his head, picking his punches perfectly before grinding Gomez down. This showed tremendous heart and discipline and will only help his confidence going into this one. Mitchell though, has yet to taste defeat and looks like he could be on his way to very big things. He packs a decent punch, and looks fairly calculated when in the ring. I predict he'll use this as a stepping stone and stop Carl in around 6 in a firecracker of a fight.

Being from Liverpool, I'm really happy that I get to see Paul Smith live. Smith has a decent future, although I'm unsure if going on the contender helped or hindered him yet. He has a shot at the vacant English Middlewight title against Cello Renda, who I must confess I know very little about. Smith is 22-0-0, and on that record you'd be hoping he'd be in line for a British shot soon but he needs a test to prove he's ready. Renda has a record of 14-5-1 (9 by stoppage), is coming off the back of two wins, although has notable losses to Prince Arron on points, and was knocked out by Nathan Cleverly victims Ayittey Powers & Joey Vegas. Smith should be on another level to him and should force the stoppage by the midway stage.

Souleymane M'Baye also continues his comeback from losing his WBA 140 title to Gavin Rees last July. He faces Dominican Jose Soto (22-4-2) in a ten rounder. M'Baye's only losses have come against Rees and Junior "The Prick" Witter victim Vivian Harris. 3 of Soto's four losses have come by KO, and M'Baye is the classiest opposition he will have faced so I see no reason why he can't follow suit.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Must get Setanta card sorted for digi box. Anyone else done this? Straight forward is it? please say it is.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information