Thread: Is Canelo on a serious slide?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Canelo on a serious slide?

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    Nope. He’s the best white fighter out there and that including Loma and Usyk. I just think he pushes himself to new challenges that most fighters aren’t willing to take. Always said ppl make way to bigger deal about losses in boxing
    only a racist concerns themselves with the colour of another person but i agree that canelo does challenge himself & i like his recent activity. i also agree that too much is made of a loss
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

& no canelo is not on a serious slide but age catches up to everyone & canelo has been fighting most of his life, it takes a toll
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    & no canelo is not on a serious slide but age catches up to everyone & canelo has been fighting most of his life, it takes a toll
    How Canelo performs against GGG will tell a lot.
    I think he looks really tired and a bit worn out. This shift from wanting to be a knock-out artist and only starting to focus on throwing single full power shots looks to be taking his toll.
    He has put his body through a lot to become a "power first" fighter. I feel Reynoso made a big mistake in turning Canelo away from becoming a complete boxer. He should have focused on improving on Canelo's weaker points, his footwork and his stamina, instead of having him walk his opponent down and just whaling away at them.
    Now his weaker points will become even more problematic if his opponent is a mover and he can't put him away.
    His punch selection is also starting to be predictable and limited.

Canelo started by taking pointers from Mayweather to wanting to be Mike Tyson. It's a shame.
    This will make it harder and harder for him to keep up, both in his fights as in training as he gets older.

He should take a year off to fully recover from fighting so much and living in the gym and then go back to boxing instead of walking everybody down.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectJab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    How Canelo performs against GGG will tell a lot.
    I think he looks really tired and a bit worn out. This shift from wanting to be a knock-out artist and only starting to focus on throwing single full power shots looks to be taking his toll.
    He has put his body through a lot to become a "power first" fighter. I feel Reynoso made a big mistake in turning Canelo away from becoming a complete boxer. He should have focused on improving on Canelo's weaker points, his footwork and his stamina, instead of having him walk his opponent down and just whaling away at them.
    Now his weaker points will become even more problematic if his opponent is a mover and he can't put him away.
    His punch selection is also starting to be predictable and limited.

Canelo started by taking pointers from Mayweather to wanting to be Mike Tyson. It's a shame.
    This will make it harder and harder for him to keep up, both in his fights as in training as he gets older.

He should take a year off to fully recover from fighting so much and living in the gym and then go back to boxing instead of walking everybody down.

Very good points. Which is why GGG is the perfect opponent to ensure a Canelo win at this time. GGG has never been a "mover." He's made his career by imposing his will, his volume and his power on opponents. Therefore he's there to be hit.
    Against a bulkier Canelo, who has already taken GGG's shots at 160, GGG is the perfect target for the plodding, "single-shot" Canelo.

Beyond GGG things might get trickier, depending on who they pit against him. With Canelo's fondness for the single shot, as you mention, it'll be tough to handle someone who can outbox him and isn't scared to engage. Which is why for all the talk of wanting a rematch against Bivol, I'd bet the house that secretly Canelo's team wants nothing to do with Bivol ever again. That was a mistake in calculation which proved costly to Canelo's carefully built mystique.

Right now Canelo's biggest ally is the general mediocrity of the division he belongs in... 168. As long as that remains that way, Canelo can afford to remain a one-punch plodder a bit longer.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel like Canelo is still in his prime and hasn’t declined. I think the Kov win made people overestimate him (Kov was a light heavy and was really good at one point but was nowhere near his best) and the Bivol fight has people underestimating him. Bivol is a solid fighter, a true 175 pounder, and is in his prime- take away the Kov fight and Canelo is the underdog going in (as he should have been).

Canelo is a warrior and chases greatness, you have to love that, it he has had some serious luck to not have more losses on his record. Does anyone really think that if Ward, Froch, Calzaghe…etc., were still around that Canelo would be undisputed?!?

GGG has gone even up with Canelo twice now (I feel he won the first and tied the rematch) so the big question is whether GGG has slipped or not. Canelo didn’t take a horrific beating against Bivol, he was just thoroughly outboxed by a larger/ longer man with great skills and discipline. Canelo is young and has a few good years left thanks to his staying in shape year round and living clean.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is nothing wrong with losing a few fights over a career. (Nearly) all of the greats had some losses ..... the mark of a great fighter - just like life in general - is how you respond from and learn from those losses.

There's no shame in losing to a top class operator like Bivol, as long as Alvarez shows he learnt something. If Nadal and Djokovic hadn't been around, Federer would probably have won about 30 Grand Slams by now, but competing with and losing to them made him a much better and rounded tennis player that he would have been without them, even with 30 Grand Slams.

Alvarez is definitely lucky he only has one loss, I think Trout beat him, I think Golovkin beat him, I cannot understand how judges gave him so many rounds against Mayweather and Bivol ..... I don't think that's his fault though.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Lara beat him as well. He should have at least 3 losses on his record.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    There is nothing wrong with losing a few fights over a career. (Nearly) all of the greats had some losses ..... the mark of a great fighter - just like life in general - is how you respond from and learn from those losses.

There's no shame in losing to a top class operator like Bivol, as long as Alvarez shows he learnt something. If Nadal and Djokovic hadn't been around, Federer would probably have won about 30 Grand Slams by now, but competing with and losing to them made him a much better and rounded tennis player that he would have been without them, even with 30 Grand Slams.

Alvarez is definitely lucky he only has one loss, I think Trout beat him, I think Golovkin beat him, I cannot understand how judges gave him so many rounds against Mayweather and Bivol ..... I don't think that's his fault though.

I think Lara beat Canelo as well.

But now that you bring up the tennis analogy...

If Canelo had faced the "Nadals and Djokovics" of boxing, he'd be just another good fighter, with just another good record.

Case in point:

Another thread on here asks how great was Floyd. Love him or hate him, Floyd's resume stacks up well with any of the ATG's..... but is light-years ahead of Canelo's.

I won't list his opponents here, but anyone can look down the list of Floyd's opponents and see what I mean.

To be clear... I always rooted for Floyd to lose. But facts are facts.

In the '80s, it was Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Benitez... facing each other. Plus there was plenty of elite competition around them as well.

But back to the OP question... is Canelo on a serious slide? Hell no. Canelo's 32 years old. In the prime of his boxing career. He got his ass handed to him by Bivol, due to a serious miscalculation on Team Canelo's part.... which will very likely never happen again.

Is there anything wrong with Canelo having lost to Bivol? No, obviously not. What would've been not wrong, but TRAGIC, would've been yet another questionable decision in Canelo's favor. Thankfully the gap in the fight was so wide, the judges had no choice but to do the right thing and award the decision to Bivol.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

If Canelo had faced the "Nadals and Djokovics" of boxing, he'd be just another good fighter, with just another good record.

Case in point:

Another thread on here asks how great was Floyd. Love him or hate him, Floyd's resume stacks up well with any of the ATG's..... but is light-years ahead of Canelo's.

I won't list his opponents here, but anyone can look down the list of Floyd's opponents and see what I mean.

In the '80s, it was Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Benitez... facing each other. Plus there was plenty of elite competition around them as well.

But back to the OP question... is Canelo on a serious slide? Hell no. Canelo's 32 years old. In the prime of his boxing career. He got his ass handed to him by Bivol, due to a serious miscalculation on Team Canelo's part.... which will very likely never happen again.

Is there anything wrong with Canelo having lost to Bivol? No, obviously not. What would've been not wrong, but TRAGIC, would've been yet another questionable decision in Canelo's favor. Thankfully the gap in the fight was so wide, the judges had no choice but to do the right thing and award the decision to Bivol.
    Insane or corrupt that the 3 judges had it identically 7-5 rounds when it was nearer 10-2.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Case in point:

Insane or corrupt that the 3 judges had it identically 7-5 rounds when it was nearer 10-2.

It was insane AND corrupt... but expected. Everyone knew going in that Bivol needed either a KO, or a complete domination to get the win. And even complete domination was no better than a 50/50 chance.

Ginger fans may have forgotten CJ Ross... but I haven't.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kind of a double edged sword isn't it. A judge is supposed to have enough experience to measure all the factors that allow him/her to assess who's winning a fight. Of course, the longer a judge is around, the more the politics of boxing creeps into their heads and allows them to look for reasons to give points to a particular fighter who is uncharacteristically not having their way, based on what they have done in the sport rather than just in the fight.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Kind of a double edged sword isn't it. A judge is supposed to have enough experience to measure all the factors that allow him/her to assess who's winning a fight. Of course, the longer a judge is around, the more the politics of boxing creeps into their heads and allows them to look for reasons to give points to a particular fighter who is uncharacteristically not having their way, based on what they have done in the sport rather than just in the fight.
    I think they are "looked after" by the promoter, if they have been generous to their fighter they will be accepted for other fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo's record is aging nicely. callum winning at light heavyweight, caleb knocking out anthony & soon to be david b & liam knocking out chris jr

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is very much winding down- to be clear I never thought that he was all that. When he was 20 and they compared him to Chavez at 20, that was laughable. But he worked hard and learned and improved as much as he was able. He turned pro at 15, he's had a bunch of fights. Now, he has a ton of money- and he has established ways to keep making a lot of money that don't involve boxing- he has a beautiful wife and a very easy life. One, maybe two fights and that is it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Canelo is very much winding down- to be clear I never thought that he was all that. When he was 20 and they compared him to Chavez at 20, that was laughable. But he worked hard and learned and improved as much as he was able. He turned pro at 15, he's had a bunch of fights. Now, he has a ton of money- and he has established ways to keep making a lot of money that don't involve boxing- he has a beautiful wife and a very easy life. One, maybe two fights and that is it.

Coming from you, who I consider to be an objective fellow most of the time... that resonates.

Personally, I don't think he's on a serious slide. Why? Because that would entail him having been "all that" to begin with.

"Serious slide" implies having reached great heights.

To me, it's mostly smoke and mirrors, so no... no "serious slide" IMO.

Thread Information