Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 1986 Verses 2006

I have done this before, for other years. But I thought I would do it again, as it often brings up interesting debate.

Although the sport was more popular in 1986, were the boxers better then, than they are now?

Here are my predictions on potential match ups; of fighters who are/were considered the champions or best in their division as of January 1st 1986 and April 1st 2006.

Heavyweight Michael Spinks/Chris Byrd

Very interesting match up; Spinks has the speed to compete with Byrd, and his edge in power, would be decisive IMO, as Michael wins a unanimous 12 round decision.

Cruiserweight: Dwight Muhammad Qawi/O’Neil Bell

Qawi would attempt to run over Bell with his boaring in attack; Bell would need to try and keep Qawi at bay with his extra power. I think Qawi’s intensity would be the difference as he wins a comfortable decision.

Light Heavyweight: J.B. Williamson/Zsolt Erdei

Williamson was little more than a journeyman, and would do well to last 12 rounds with Erdei; Erdei, by easy 12 round decision.

Super Middleweight: Chong Pal Park/Joe Calzaghe

Park was the class of the division for nearly five years, he would cause Joe a few headaches early on, but Calzaghe’s greater class would tell in the end; Calzaghe TKO11

Middleweight: Marvin Hagler/Jermain Taylor

Hagler was nearing the end, he had slipped from the fighter he was some 7/8 years previous, and was relying more and more on his great condition, very good power and his granite chin. Providing Taylor is not in awe of Hagler, he would eke out a decision over 1986 Marvin Hagler; Taylor WM12

Junior Middleweight: Mike McCallum/Shane Mosley

McCallum was at the peak of his awesome powers, sure Mosley’s speed would cause him concerns, but in the end the Bodysnatcher would go to work, as Mosley bravely survives to the final bell; McCallum WU12

Welterweight: Don Curry/Carlos Manuel Baldomir

Some considered Curry the finest fighter in the world at the time. Baldomir is an underrated fighter, but probably lacks the class to compete with peak ‘Lone Star Cobra’. Baldomir would give it a go, but Curry would have him out of there by the eighth.

Junior Welterweight: Lonnie Smith/Ricky Hatton

Smith was the kind of speedster to cause Hatton no end of problems, but when the going got tough, Smith tended to be found wanting, and Ricky undoubtedly would make it tough. I take Hatton to win a 12 round decision, after dropping behind early, trying to figure out Smith.

Lightweight: Hector Camacho/Jose Luis Castillo

As 1986 began, the ‘Macho Man’ seemed to be on the verge of becoming boxings next superstar. He had dazzling pace, and respectable power. Castillo is the most honest boxer going, he is proper old school, and he would not put up, with any of Camacho’s antics. But that said, back then, Camacho was more substance than style, so I think he would win a close but unanimous decision; Camacho WU12

Junior Lightweight: Julio Cesar Chavez/Marco Antonio Barrera

What a match-up!!! Probably, with hindsight, the finest fighter of 1986 against IMO, boxings best today; the two Mexican warriors both at or near the peak of their games. Chavez would have trouble with Barrera’s ring smarts, but Chavez was a lot faster in them days, than the model people remember in the 90s, plus he was a legitimate one punch KO threat. I think in the end, Chavez’s intensity would be the difference, as Barrera’s Mexican pride, leads to an eventual all out war, that gives the edge to Chavez in a classic; Chavez WU12

Featherweights: Barry McGuigan/Chris John

Although McGuigan lacked the fire he had before he won the title, during his disappointing reign, you would think, he should know enough to beat John, but John seems to be one huge unknown quantity to most of us. I will sit on the fence and score it a draw.

So there you have it, I scored it 6-4-1 in 1986’s favour, although it should be noted Winky and Lil Floyd were not representatives, because they are not World Champions, of their respective divisions.

But I think what it does show, is the fighters of today, do compare with the 80s fairly evenly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 1986 Verses 2006

barrera and chavez would of been da bomb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2006 Barrera would be eaten alive, and I don't think Camacho could beat Castillo who is a better fighter IMO. Also Mayweather or Margarito are the best in the welterweight division .. especially Mayweather who would eat Hatton alive, and he takes Lonnie because he is a faster and a better fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also how is Tarver not the top light heavyweight right now? Until Calzaghe comes up Tarver is by far the best of the 175 pounders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think that other than heavyweight, and light heavy...the 2006 fighters are better...that 2006 list stacks up more than well considering that fighters like Pacman, PBF, winky, Zahir raheem, & Corrales aren't on there...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Duran, Leonard, Nunn, Hearns, and a whole bunch of guys aren't on there for the 86ers either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting that Taylor would beat Hagler, but possibly could see that.

Also, Michael Spinks was one of the greatest fighters ever! However, again here is where styles would make fights. I see Michael being much better and the aggressor in the fight, but think for some reason - Chris Byrd could beat him. His style is confusing and I could see him frustrating Michael.

Still, my mind wants me to never root against Spinks. The only time that I knew he has a loss on his hands was against Tyson and actually that wasn't even guaranteed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Duran, Leonard, Nunn, Hearns, and a whole bunch of guys aren't on there for the 86ers either.
    Nunn was a mere prospect, not even top 10 at the time.

Duran was losing to Robbie Simms

Leonard had not had a fight for two years

Hearns was getting over the Hagler defeat.

As for Tarver; Erdei holds lineage

Same for Mayweather; Baldomir holds lineage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by drgoodlooking
    The only time that I knew he has a loss on his hands was against Tyson and actually that wasn't even guaranteed!
    LOL you bet on Spinks as well? I got my old man to put a tenner on him .

But it got worse, I bet on Bruno to win the Tyson rematch!!!!!!!!

Made my money back with intrest though by backing Holyfield at 24/1 in the first Tyson bout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    I have done this before, for other years. But I thought I would do it again, as it often brings up interesting debate.

Although the sport more popular in 1986, were the boxers better then, than they are now?

Here are my predictions on potential match ups; of fighters who are/were considered the champions or best in their division as of January 1st 1986 and April 1st 2006.

Heavyweight Michael Spinks/Chris Byrd

Very interesting match up; Spinks has the speed to compete with Byrd, and his edge in power, would be decisive IMO, as Michael wins a unanimous 12 round decision.

Cruiserweight: Dwight Muhammad Qawi/O’Neil Bell

Qawi would attempt to run over Bell with his boaring attack; Bell would need to try and keep Qawi at bay with his extra power. I think Qawi’s intensity would be the difference as he wins a comfortable decision.

Light Heavyweight: J.B. Williamson/Zsolt Erdei

Williamson was little more than a journeyman, and would do well to last 12 rounds with Erdei; Erdei, by easy 12 round decision.

Super Middleweight: Chong Pal Park/Joe Calzaghe

Park was the class of the division for nearly five years, he would cause Joe a few headaches early on, but Calzaghe’s greater class would tell in the end; Calzaghe TKO11

Middleweight: Marvin Hagler/Jermain Taylor

Hagler was nearing the end, he had slipped from the fighter he was some 7/8 years previous, and was relying more and more on his great condition, very good power and his granite chin. Providing Taylor is not in awe of Hagler, he would eke out a decision over 1986 Marvin Hagler; Taylor WM12

Junior Middleweight: Mike McCallum/Shane Mosley

McCallum was at the peak of his awesome powers, sure Mosley’s speed would cause him concerns, but in the end the Bodysnatcher would go to work, as Mosley bravely survives to the final bell; McCallum WU12

Welterweight: Don Curry/Carlos Manuel Baldomir

Some considered Curry the finest fighter in the world at the time. Baldomir is an underrated fighter, but probably lacks the class to compete with peak ‘Lone Star Cobra’. Baldomir would give it a go, but Curry would have him out of there by the eighth.

Junior Welterweight: Lonnie Smith/Ricky Hatton

Smith was the kind of speedster to cause Hatton no end of problems, but when the going got tough, Smith tended to be found wanting, and Ricky undoubtedly would make it tough. I take Hatton to win a 12 round decision, after dropping behind early, trying to figure out Smith.

Lightweight: Hector Camacho/Jose Luis Castillo

As 1986 began, the ‘Macho Man’ seemed to be on the verge of becoming boxings next superstar. He had dazzling pace, and respectable power. Castillo is the most honest boxer going, he is proper old school, and he would not put up, with any of Camacho’s antics. But that said, back then, Camacho was more substance than style, so I think he would win a close but unanimous decision; Camacho WU12

Junior Lightweight: Julio Cesar Chavez/Marco Antonio Barrera

What a match-up!!! Probably, with hindsight, the finest fighter of 1986 against IMO, boxings best today; the two Mexican warriors both at or near the peak of their games. Chavez would have trouble with Barrera’s ring smarts, but Chavez was a lot faster in them days, than the model people remember in the 90s, plus he was a legitimate one punch KO threat. I think in the end, Chavez’s intensity would be the difference, as Barrera’s Mexican pride, leads to an eventual all out war, that gives the edge to Chavez in a classic; Chavez WU12

Featherweights: Barry McGuigan/Chris John

Although McGuigan lacked the fire he had before he won the title, during his disappointing reign, you would think, he should know enough to beat John, but John seems to be one huge unknown quantity to most of us. I will sit on the fence and score it a draw.

So there you have it, I scored it 6-4-1 in 1986’s favour, although it should be noted Winky and Lil Floyd were not representatives, because they are not World Champions, of their respective divisions.

But I think what it does show, is the fighters of today, do compare with the 80s fairly evenly.

interesting stuff. byrd v spinks would have been one for the purists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heavyweight Michael Spinks/Chris Byrd Spinks

Cruiserweight: Dwight Muhammad Qawi/O’Neil Bell bell

Light Heavyweight: J.B. Williamson/Zsolt Erdei erdei

Super Middleweight: Chong Pal Park/Joe Calzaghe calzaghe