950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ruiz v Joshua 2 confirmed - rematch clause triggered - Nov/Dec

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    I see that Tito also. I try say Joshua need stay outside. Keep get caught inside

You're absolutely right. Joshua is taller, rangier. In the rematch he should keep Ruiz at the end of his jab. But a punishing jab. None of this chickenshit pawing boxers do sometimes. He also needs to move side to side. Look for angles against the onrushing Ruiz. Also as @El Kabong said..... don't go for the one-punch knockout. Just 'cause he dropped Ruiz one time it doesn't mean Ruiz has a weak chin. To the contrary. With the right mental attitude and preparation, it should be a hell of a fight.
    Ruiz clearly does not have a weak chin, has heart, and a huge neck. He seems to be very durable. I can see Joshua fighting much smarter next time, but he won't be able to move all night and has stamina issues. He will get caught and it is then that he will have to answer questions. A 40 year old decade long gun shy Wlad will let him off the hook, but Ruiz is young, can let his hands go and is willing to take a shot to land his 3-4 in return. It will be a challenge for him. I didn't really rate Joshua all that highly to begin with, but at least it makes it all look a bit more realistic now.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see that Tito also. I try say Joshua need stay outside. Keep get caught inside

You're absolutely right. Joshua is taller, rangier. In the rematch he should keep Ruiz at the end of his jab. But a punishing jab. None of this chickenshit pawing boxers do sometimes. He also needs to move side to side. Look for angles against the onrushing Ruiz. Also as @El Kabong said..... don't go for the one-punch knockout. Just 'cause he dropped Ruiz one time it doesn't mean Ruiz has a weak chin. To the contrary. With the right mental attitude and preparation, it should be a hell of a fight.

Bang on @TitoFan it really is that simple to beat Ruiz.
    Bang the jab out hard into his face all night and don't go looking for the KO.
    5-6 rounds of solid boxing at range then let the bombs go and the KO opportunity will present itself.
    Problem is has he got the stamina to do this?
    Lose the muscle, get some speed back and stop lifting weights would be the first thing id have him do if i was McCracken.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ should get his advise from his fans who said he is a skilled boxer
    LOL.

As stated here,his jab was lazy and came out one at a time.
    He fought moving back.
    And didn't handle shots to his head, not chin.
    And gassed out from 4-5 rounds.

How do you fix those issues?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz wants £50mil to rematch in Uk

get in there son

https://youtu.be/eTa_pycLHZw

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by stinka View Post

get in there son

There ya go! And five years worth of untainted meat.

With two George Foreman grills.

Life time Warranty included
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by stinka View Post

get in there son

Good for him, he has no intention of dodging the rematch. He deserves to demand it wherever he wants, he's the champion.

Most interesting, he praised AJ's jab and power but said - "he was never the same after I floored him with the left hook."
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

El Kabong Guest

While the punch ain't great to look at and doesn't "score" I'm not sure some boxers understand the benefits of the pawing jab. Think of it like you're a batter facing a pitcher if all the pitcher throws is 100 mph fastballs then when you're at bat you expect 100 mph fastballs. So when there's a changeup thrown it LOOKS like a fastball but it is much slower on purpose so the pitcher can get a swing and a miss or simply see the reaction of the batter. In boxing the pawing jab can be used to keep your opponent busy while you assess their defense. You can swat your opponent's guard, you can hook off the jab, you can line up a powerful jab or a straight right...it's seemingly a throwaway punch but it's a useful tactic if used correctly.

AJ has 0 focus on defense and engaged a hurt opponent in a reckless fashion he got caught and never fully recovered.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony 'Khan' Joshua will get beat again.

I'm just gutted that Fury or Wilder didn't get to embarrass him.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

While the punch ain't great to look at and doesn't "score" I'm not sure some boxers understand the benefits of the pawing jab. Think of it like you're a batter facing a pitcher if all the pitcher throws is 100 mph fastballs then when you're at bat you expect 100 mph fastballs. So when there's a changeup thrown it LOOKS like a fastball but it is much slower on purpose so the pitcher can get a swing and a miss or simply see the reaction of the batter. In boxing the pawing jab can be used to keep your opponent busy while you assess their defense. You can swat your opponent's guard, you can hook off the jab, you can line up a powerful jab or a straight right...it's seemingly a throwaway punch but it's a useful tactic if used correctly.

AJ has 0 focus on defense and engaged a hurt opponent in a reckless fashion he got caught and never fully recovered.

IMO it depends on how you use that "pawing jab". If there's "a method to the madness"..... in other words.... if the pawing is for a reason and not used endlessly (think Wlad vs Sultan).... then ok, you have a plan. Maybe you're trying to throw your opponent off guard (ergo the changeup analogy). But you'd better intermingle some "hurt-carrying" jabs in there, or it simply becomes a nuisance which the opponent quickly learns to ignore and walk through. Personally not a fan of the pawing jab, as it's use is limited and of short duration. For the same reason refs will intervene and warn a fighter for just holding his glove out there at arm's length, so should excessive and endless pawing be discouraged. It's boxing, not pitty-pat. I think Joshua should utilize a ramrod jab (if he's got one in his arsenal) to keep Ruiz earnest, while using angles to offset Ruiz's rushes.

And yes.... Joshua's stamina is an issue which less focus on muscle-building would probably help.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dumb move by Ruiz. If it's for money then he should fight Fury in London for the real title. What hurts a Ruiz vs Joshua rematch is the fact it look like AJ just flat quit. he can beat Ruiz. Just watch video. When Joshua fought at long range he was doing very well. The problem was Ruiz is a outstanding counter puncher. so when Joshua got Ruiz hurt he stood around too long. plus he just move straight back not side to side. it's easy to get trapped on the ropes when your going straight back. When Ruiz comes in Joshua has to tie Ruiz up. let the Ref break them apart. With these adjustments Joshua should win a 12 round UD.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First 3-4 rounds is going to be blood in the water. Ruiz and his camp have to know he has a chance of making it an easy night if he jumps on Joshua and triggers all the "oh sh*t here we go again...wtf am i doing in here..i must have been crazy to sign" feelings. 3-4 is enough to give Ruiz chance to go full bore and while Joshua is trying to shake the jitters and accept his fate (good or bad) and realize he can survive it and win if he chooses to.

Now I'm not suggesting Ruiz be stupid and run in and start wailing away trying to steamroll. If hes smart, he'll be aggressive but careful. What Ruiz is looking for is Joshua to give him an opportunity to counter by opening up when he tries to back Ruiz off with heavy artillery. Force Joshua to fight without putting himself in a bad situation (change it up by feinting a little bit and going low-- same aggression different look as you know Joshua's camp will be combing the tapes expecting him to come up top and straight ahead.

For Joshua, he needs to take it one round at a time and slowly build his confidence (give Ruiz death by a thousand cuts) and have a game plan to switch up mid rounds after he has Ruiz thinking he can have his way. Don't take the Ruiz bait and be tempted to throw with him unless its straight down the middle where Ruiz's arms are too short to throw straight punches with Joshua (don't hook with the hooker). Otherwise, let Ruiz be active and aggressive, but show him something different by jabbing to the mid section to keep him off balance and let him find a way past it. When he makes it past, into mid-range, Joshua needs to keep his hands, chin down, elbows tight and pick his spots for the straight punches down the pike. After he lands, or if Ruiz makes it all the way in... he needs to tie up Ruiz and smother Ruiz's instinct to brawl on the inside where hes normally hard to contain, lean on him and just start tenderizing the body a bit before the ref separates. After 4 rounds of of this, it should take some of the gas out of Ruiz, and Joshua can start aggressive working the jab and right hands and use some angles to pick at him, but under no circumstances start going combo crazy in mid range until Ruiz starts slowing down and his legs have gone. Ruiz is always dangerous. Joshua's other option is to straight outpace him, but Joshua's bulk prevents that, he'll wear down faster than Ruiz.

Problems: Joshua and wilder have the same problem. They get caught up in offense and then get caught ugly, because they never see the punches coming. Both train to avoid these punches from the outside, but do nothing for mid range. They need need mitt work that's going to to improve hand eye coordination at mid-range (A different approach would be some wing chun drills, if you can't see it at least feel it) Joshua gets flustered inside and succumbs to the pressure because his focus is on his defense and escaping rather than his opponents punches. He shells up indiscriminately and waits for the storm to be over. @SlimTrae, the shots to the side of the head are key for Ruiz. Joshua's shoulders are big and Ruiz is shorter, so that puts Joshua's chin right behind shoulders from ruiz's perspective. The punches that Ruiz is buzzing Joshua with is probably not by design as much as happy coincidence as he's trying to get his punches up over the shoulders to get to the head. Those, fortunately for Ruiz, land right on the side of the head over and behind the ear, that will really screw with your equilibrium and have a greater chance of maximizing the force jarring the brain, because your heads tethered and more stable at the bottom because of your traps and the muscles in the neck.

Ruiz carries some extra pounds obviously, and preserves himself by fighting in spurts. He always looks like hes ready to go and is better conditioned than many people would believe at first glance. He also hides it well because of his attitude. @El Kabong , i'm not so sure if it was the knock down making Joshua relax as much as it was Ruiz getting up and not giving a F*ck that made him tight. I believe Joshua's blood ran cold when Ruiz got up and acted not only like it didn't happen but that he just insulted and fought harder. He took Joshua's best shot and Joshua couldn't take his. They both know it and that's dangerous for both. It was the same attitude that Maidana and other fighters wear to the ring (win or die trying). Joshua seems like a likeable guy, and a Professional. When a Gentleman encounters a savage, whether he chooses to outsmart him or out brawl him, he has to understand him first. I'm not sure Joshua does just because he also got up from vlad's knockdown to return the favor. There in lies the other danger... Does Ruiz now lose some of that? Will he fight harder because he doesn't want the dream to end now that he's arrived or will he say I've made it, relax and not know what happened until after his coach has turned back into a pumpkin.

Just my opinions, of course.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

El Kabong Guest

That could very well be the case @J_Undisputed Ruiz I know AJ floored Wlad who got back up to floor AJ a round later but in the very same round Ruiz hops up and floors AJ TWICE and if the round was 10 seconds longer Ruiz would have stopped him right then and there!

Maybe that is it, Ruiz recovered so quickly, AJ went to finish it and little did he know Ruiz had other plans. The praise for Ruiz should be on not only his getting up and knocking AJ down twice, but his taking his time after that and staying within himself once the momentum shifted in his favor and THAT is professional even if he rode out a decision, but it's brilliant he got the stoppage.

Forall those "AJ had a panic attack" people, I don't buy it. I think hurt fighters can panic and that eats up your stamina because your breathing changes, you start gulping air like a fish out of water, your heart is racing, you basically redline your engine and you seize up you can't move your legs, your body (via orders from your brain) has betrayed you (I think that is probably what happened to Wlad vs Brewster when he collapsed or ANY time Andrew Golota got rocked early in a fight when you see his eyes get all WIDE he instantly went into panic mode)...that too could have been the case for AJ, but "panic attack" that is bullshit he would have been curled up in a ball weeping or catatonic or would have run out of the ring like a sprinter or he would have pulled an Oliver McCall which I think is more what happened with him vs Lennox in the rematch. So panic YES panic attack not so much.

IF AJ panicked the good news is there is hope that can be fixed. Utilizing systematic desensitization AJ can acclimate himself to increasing levels of anxiety and gain more control of how he responds to those things (to an extent). Bad news is: how does one do that when what gets to him might be getting smacked in the head really hard?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't see Joshua keeping him off for 12 rounds.

Ruiz will get to him at some point and it's all down to how he takes it and reacts.

Can't wait to be honest
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

Ruiz will get to him at some point and it's all down to how he takes it and reacts.

Can't wait to be honest
    I think he can, I know he can, but the fact is THAT'S NOT THE WAY PEOPLE WANT HIM TO FIGHT

Now I know my good buddy @TitoFan will come in here and back me up on this

Anthony Joshua has all the tools to avenge this loss, but the fans won't be impressed by it, they may even hate it....can AJ shut his ears to the crowd? Can AJ "WALK THROUGH THE FIRE!!!" like Teddy Atlas would say? All he has to do is use his size...now you might say "Gee if all you have to do is use your size then why isn't WWE's 'The Big Show' heavyweight champ?" well AJ does have boxing skill too don't forget that and he'll need to use that AND his size.

Jab, tie up, push off, jab, jab, jab, jab...frustrate Ruiz by keeping him at distance, let him throw wide loopy punches, stay within yourself, move your feet, keep your guard up, and when Ruiz comes in on you, you tie him up and lean on him because it wears him down.

Does that sound like a fun watch to anyone Well not every fight is meant to be a thing of beauty, tactics when used correctly can be beautiful on their own....AJ has to use boxing's version of 4 yards in a cloud of dust, the 4 corners, the Jose Mourinho park the bus....it won't be fun BUT winning is fun, avenging a loss is fun, frustrating your opponent is fun...sometimes you have to find fun in other places.

All that said...you go to fight to please the crowd you can do that it doesn't having winning the fight as the goal it's how Gatti fought it's how Mickey Ward fought, it's brutal, it shortens your career. Win and please the crowd the next time if you can it's better for you, it's smarter

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

Can't wait to be honest
    I think he can, I know he can, but the fact is THAT'S NOT THE WAY PEOPLE WANT HIM TO FIGHT

Now I know my good buddy @TitoFan will come in here and back me up on this

Anthony Joshua has all the tools to avenge this loss, but the fans won't be impressed by it, they may even hate it....can AJ shut his ears to the crowd? Can AJ "WALK THROUGH THE FIRE!!!" like Teddy Atlas would say? All he has to do is use his size...now you might say "Gee if all you have to do is use your size then why isn't WWE's 'The Big Show' heavyweight champ?" well AJ does have boxing skill too don't forget that and he'll need to use that AND his size.

Jab, tie up, push off, jab, jab, jab, jab...frustrate Ruiz by keeping him at distance, let him throw wide loopy punches, stay within yourself, move your feet, keep your guard up, and when Ruiz comes in on you, you tie him up and lean on him because it wears him down.

Does that sound like a fun watch to anyone Well not every fight is meant to be a thing of beauty, tactics when used correctly can be beautiful on their own....AJ has to use boxing's version of 4 yards in a cloud of dust, the 4 corners, the Jose Mourinho park the bus....it won't be fun BUT winning is fun, avenging a loss is fun, frustrating your opponent is fun...sometimes you have to find fun in other places.

All that said...you go to fight to please the crowd you can do that it doesn't having winning the fight as the goal it's how Gatti fought it's how Mickey Ward fought, it's brutal, it shortens your career. Win and please the crowd the next time if you can it's better for you, it's smarter

LOL Lyle. I know why you're saying that. Visions of our conversations about Wlad come dancing into my head.

But yeah... it's a good example. Wlad was.... let's say.... a bit defensive-challenged before he got together with Emmanuel, after some devastating KO losses. What transpired after that is up to the eye of the beholder. Some see it as sustained defensive wizardry and dominance...... others see it as a long, boring reign of "defend your chin at all costs."

Applying this to AJ, ok... so he just suffered a humiliating, crushing, devastating stoppage loss. What does he do now?

I can already tell you.... if he pulls a Wlad, and becomes a clutching, mauling, meek heavyweight with a huge punch.... I personally will be disappointed. I think he can retain his offensive firepower, albeit while making some key changes like cutting down on the bodybuilder crap and build stamina. He can create a fight plan for Ruiz that, as I said before, involves side to side movement, lots of hard, meaningful jabs.... and pacing himself for the long haul. If all these things bring him a dominant unanimous decision in the rematch.... I for one will give him all the credit in the world. He doesn't have to answer Ruiz's stoppage with one of his own. It would be nice... but all he needs is a win.

The parallels would be uncanny if it were to happen. If AJ suddenly becomes gun-shy, as to avoid getting his chin touched, we could be in for some very boring fights.

Thread Information