Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: If we had seen just the first round of a fight how would we predict it would go?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If we had seen just the first round of a fight how would we predict it would go?

I was thinking how it would be if we saw a round between two fighters then subsequently for some reason the fight was unable to continue after round 1 and re scheduled - how would this change our opinions on the fight?

For example:
    Broner vs Maidana - Broner heavy favourite before - but would he have been even a fsvourite if everyone had the chance to see the first round first?

Hatton vs Mayweather? Mayweather favourite before but had a stumble in round 1 etc

Lewis Tyson - Lewis the favourite - but tyson had a good first round etcetc!

Whart would your thoughts be on the fights above and others!?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If we had seen just the first round of a fight how would we predict it would go?

Had the lights went out after the first round in Marquez/Manny 1, I would have expected to have seen Marquez knocked cold in second round type headlines. Instead it turned out to be one of the best comebacks I have ever seem.

Great question.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If we had seen just the first round of a fight how would we predict it would go?

McClellan v Benn was going to be a massacre.
    Lewis v Rahman before he faded.
    Tyson v Holyfield with that big right hand from his first punch.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First rounds are almost always deceiving as both guys feel each other out or settle in to their rythym.

Look at how many guys have had success in the 1st against Mayweather then lost every round after that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    First rounds are almost always deceiving as both guys feel each other out or settle in to their rythym.

Look at how many guys have had success in the 1st against Mayweather then lost every round after that.
    I agree with this... 1 round dont tell a whole lot to me because it is a feel out round and a lot of guys arent warmed up yet ... guys get caught cold and all kinds of shit can happen in the opening minutes but generally, I dont judge how a fight will play out based on the first rd..

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first is often the appetizer and can be misleading. Even in fast blowouts its said so and so was caught cold. Some come out and strictly look for a quicky knowing when the other guy settles..."weathers the storm"...he doesn't have the stamina to withstand duration himself. Rafael Ruelas vs Pendleton comes to mind. Still not sure Ruelas wasn't a TKO1 victim in that fight. On a rematch focused...Pendleton vs Spann 1 & 2 for that matter? Some guys just get badly clipped early on the reg and come back.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hard to say. With Broner vs Maidana, I don't think minds would have changed, because Broner is known to have slow starts and largely use round 1 to feel guys out.

Same with Floyd/Hatton, because even though Hatton got a good punch in, Floyd is largely known to adapt well very quickly.

It's definitely a good question, I just don't think the first round is at all a good predictor of how a fight will go, because it's unlikely that a fight will stay the course from the first round.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Walcott hammered Marciano in the 1st and people were literally cringing in press row because the shots were walloping bombs, Walcott was turning his whole waist into the shots, and Marciano was getting hit body and head. Looked like a quick night for Jersey.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    It's hard to say. With Broner vs Maidana, I don't think minds would have changed, because Broner is known to have slow starts and largely use round 1 to feel guys out.

Same with Floyd/Hatton, because even though Hatton got a good punch in, Floyd is largely known to adapt well very quickly.

It's definitely a good question, I just don't think the first round is at all a good predictor of how a fight will go, because it's unlikely that a fight will stay the course from the first round.
    i agree with this. and it also depends the severity of the beating in the first round. many times, its a feel out round and the fighter who is expected to dominate loses it. other times, one fighter comes out very fast and hurts his opponent. most of the time though, i would go with my original prediction.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sure I had Chavez winning the first rounds against Whitaker.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trinidad Vargas round 1 was great! I wouldn't of imagined Fernando getting to the 12th including putting Tito down and it being about even going until the 8th or 9th

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm still lost with the OP comment that Tyson looked good in round 1. I remember at my fight party asking if people wanted to pay me now after the 1st because it was clear as day Lewis had him.

Tyson was done before the fight, just look how aged he looked. His body was doughy and his expression was that of a man collecting a check.

But I didn't trust my memory so I just went and watched it again. It was more clear then I even remembered. Tysons head movement was gone after about a minute. His legs looked tired after 2 minutes. He was already looking to the ref for help. He landed nothing of significance. A jab with just under a minute and a half to go was his best punch. He also landed a left hook but it was so long it had nothing left on it. Lewis on the other hand landed 3 big uppercuts in the first 25 seconds. He leaned on Tyson the whole round and landed a huge right with about 25 seconds left in the round.

I would have bet both my kidneys on Lewis after round 1

Thread Information