Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ali's legacy had he retired after beating Foreman

As far as his legacy in boxing is concerned, an immediate retirement after beating Foreman would have been Jordan-like. Going out of top with everyone's last memory of him was out smarting and KO'ing a giant who was considered unbeatable. Even without the Thrilla in Manila on Ali's resume, he still may have been an even bigger legend. He successfully defended his title, but it wasn't in the Ali fashion we were accustomed to in the 60s.

From a financial perspective, he really didn't have to continue fighting even if money was an issue. If his management team had any real business foresight, they would have realized that he would have been able to make millions off his name alone, especially considering his magnetic personality. Did Don King have Ali under contract for x-many fights? Idk

And don't get me started on his health. That's another well established topic on its own.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ali's legacy had he retired after beating Foreman

Maybe, but I do think the third Frazier fight probably added even more to his legend.

Prior to the Foreman fight (with only one or two exceptions, and those were after his comeback too) he was pretty unbeatable and. Ours do what he liked in the ring.

It was only later that he demonstrated what a great chin and heart he had. I think those things add hugely to his legacy.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And to further backup X's points; the end of his career made him seem even more human, as there was a real emotional attachment, that perhaps has not been seen in boxing since, to them last few fights, even the tragic ones...
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah.... the perfect time would've been after the Thrilla in Manila. Closed the cycle on Joe, with a payback victory in what is now regarded one of the best HW championship fights of all time.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali also beat Spinks so became the first champion to win the title 3 times which I know in not great in the gran scheme of things.

Ali fought on because he felt obliged to all his hanger ons when they should have looked after him and told him to stop.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali needed to avenge Norton and Frazier. So after Foreman, he should have hung up the gloves.

Ali didn't need Wepner's 306 rabbit punches. Didn't need Shavers' deadly brain damaging bombs, didn't need Ron Lyle, etc.. Poor judgement. Ferdie Pacheco was so disgusted HE QUIT the team.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Between George Foreman and the Thriller in Manila there should have bee no other fights and that includes the third one with Norton. Picture Ali in a Porsche going 80 miles an hour. He should have avoided the last fight with Norton because it a accomplished nothing. This is the same Norton who froze after George's first right hand. This is the Norton who knew whether Shavers and Cooney had their boot laces tied. Ali was definitely old in that fight and there was a great deal of questioning about that scoring in Yankee Stadium. That is what I thought and I am an Ali fan. Foreman and Frazier should have been his last opponents.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The light hitting Leon Spinks contributed a lot of brain damage to Ali's condition because he landed something like 400 punches in that first fight

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you ever noticed that most light punchers are fair body punchers? Retired fighters have always alluded to the fact that it is more merciful to be defeated early by a heavy handed puncher than round after round by a medium to light powered boxer puncher. He is not in there to get hurt but he has to gain respect and if your missing and frustrated it only gives him the opportunity to strike again and again thus his hand is up after the tally. Light punchers work on their skill but there are the few that are lucky like Leon who was exposed by the old man in their rematch. As Ali said, you borrowed my crown and now I have it back. Ali was not a heavy puncher but his judgement in fighting Holmes who was a better puncher with speed than the others out there was piss poor. The rest has been debated to death.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by johnsebastianmiran View Post
    Have you ever noticed that most light punchers are fair body punchers? Retired fighters have always alluded to the fact that it is more merciful to be defeated early by a heavy handed puncher than round after round by a medium to light powered boxer puncher. He is not in there to get hurt but he has to gain respect and if your missing and frustrated it only gives him the opportunity to strike again and again thus his hand is up after the tally. Light punchers work on their skill but there are the few that are lucky like Leon who was exposed by the old man in their rematch. As Ali said, you borrowed my crown and now I have it back. Ali was not a heavy puncher but his judgement in fighting Holmes who was a better puncher with speed than the others out there was piss poor. The rest has been debated to death.
    Sweat Pea was a very good body puncher so you are right.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I almost forgot about Sweet Pea because the words Defense Master doesn't quite describe his monster skill. The Cuban found out not to make Sweet Pea mad either. He had a punch hidden in his arsenal too. He was fun!
    Last edited by Master; 04-02-2016 at 04:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by johnsebastianmiran View Post
    I almost forgot about Sweet Pea because the words Defense Master doesn't quite describe his monster skill. The Cuban found out not to make Sweet Pea mad either. He had a punch hidden in his arsenal too. He was fun!
    Sweat Pea was losing that fight so had to go for it. It was a brutal knockout.

Ali was not known as a body puncher.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Understatement of 2016. I don't even remember one single body punch Ali ever threw. Must've really influenced Holmes cyz HE hardly threw any downstairs either!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well to be fair i do not feel his loses in his older years effect him to much. I mean i do not blame Holyfeild when he was 40 and older just would not make much sense. Very few heavyweight quite at the right time the only one i know that did was Lewis he left at the best time he could.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Well to be fair i do not feel his loses in his older years effect him to much. I mean i do not blame Holyfeild when he was 40 and older just would not make much sense. Very few heavyweight quite at the right time the only one i know that did was Lewis he left at the best time he could.
    The Brockton Blockbuster

Thread Information