Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How many times should World Champions fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How many times should World Champions fight?

I think most seem to fight twice a year (some fight much more but most seem to do 2 a year), is this really enough?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How many times should World Champions fight?

I think 2-3 times a year is plenty. I would say 3 is ideal. Most guys train 6 weeks before each fight, so thats 4 1/2 months of training right there. That leaves you with about 2 months or so in between fights to spend time with family and what not, and let their body recover. They most definetley deserve the time off between fights, what they put their body through training and in the ring is crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MMASUX View Post
    I think 2-3 times a year is plenty. I would say 3 is ideal. Most guys train 6 weeks before each fight, so thats 4 1/2 months of training right there. That leaves you with about 2 months or so in between fights to spend time with family and what not, and let their body recover. They most definetley deserve the time off between fights, what they put their body through training and in the ring is crazy.
    100% agree there...

No less than 2, and no more than 3, ideally... A really young champion at lower weights may be able to get away with 4 fights if they don't have many tough 12 rounders, and their bodies are still in really great shape and respond well to dieting and really train year round (obviously harder leading up to fights)...

But 2 or 3 fights a year is about perfect for their health, and gives the fans enough as well...
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd lean towards quality over quanity. If its once, maybe twice against fellow elites and top threats rather then 3 weak "mandatory" types you find bagging groceries at the local A&P on the weekend. Of course...that would ruin the sanctioning bodies day and make the promoters have to work together

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should it depend on the quality of opponents as well?

For example Hugo Fidel Cazares fought 4 world title opponents last year, but 2 of them were pretty poor opponents

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It depends on his purpose for fighting. If he is only looking for a bog payday then as soon as he gets the one that gives him the financial freedom he is looking for he should quit. If he is after Legacy then as often as his body can take it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by iamasadlittleboy View Post
    Should it depend on the quality of opponents as well?

For example Hugo Fidel Cazares fought 4 world title opponents last year, but 2 of them were pretty poor opponents
    Yes. It very much should. Unfortunately governing bodies who hand out some of these trinkets know full well a sanctioning fee is a sanctioning fee.....regardless a guy gets to call himself "Champion". Its really become a watered down label, responsibility of the fans to cut through the mire. Numbers on a record dont mean a thing if they are empty window dressing.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2-3-4 times depending on the opponent and the length and toughness of the bouts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It doesn't really matter how many times he fights, what matters is quality of opposition. Marvin Hagler fought only once per year in his last 4 years in the sport. The names he fought in those 4 years? Hamsho, Hearns, Mugabi, and Leonard.

I'll take quality over quantity anytime. And another thing, you can't expect a champ to fight 3 or 4 tough fights in a year considering no one here has yet talked about recovery from damage from hard fights. The Hearns fight and the Mugabi fights took a lot out of Hagler for instance, those fights take away your longevity and career. That has to be factor in also.

It's easy to sit on the couch and say how many fights a fighter should take, you and I ain't in the ring taking the damage.
    Last edited by generalbulldog; 01-16-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    It doesn't really matter how many times he fights, what matters is quality of opposition. Marvin Hagler fought only once per year in his last 4 years in the sport. The names he fought in those 4 years? Hamsho, Hearns, Mugabi, and Leonard.

I'll take quality over quantity anytime. And another thing, you can't expect a champ to fight 3 or 4 tough fights in a year considering no one here has yet talked about recovery from damage from hard fights. The Hearns fight and the Mugabi fights took a lot out of Hagler for instance, those fights take away your longevity and career. That has to be factor in also.

It's easy to sit on the couch and say how many fights a fighter should take, you and I ain't in the ring taking the damage.
    If two of them are Haye/Harrison type debacles with a standard mandatory followed by a legitimate challenge, it is possible.

I would rather go with the quality too, but fighters of the past were more active and most fighters are more than able to fight at least twice a year while still young.

The standard is 2 to 3 times and that sounds reasonable, but if there is a 2 round gimme in there you can probably tack on another 1 without killing yourself.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends on a lot of factor:

If These are top notch opponents and that the guy hasn't been shaken up seriously in one of the fight, I say 3 times. If the guy fought top notch guys but got shaken up pretty bad, I say that it might be reasonable to then decrease to 2 times for the time being in a 12 months span. If these are tomato cans like what Chavez Jr used to fight galore, then I say 4-5 to stay tuned is reasonable. It all depends of the context, really, but in an ideal situation, 3 times is quite a good compromise.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another factor can be the Networks, venues and dates they provide.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least once a year and preferably a unification or mandatory. Dempsey use to fight every 4 years.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

3 times is my opp unless they are injured etc...IMO 2 defenses against a top contender and 1 time for a mandatory

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    3 times is my opp unless they are injured etc...IMO 2 defenses against a top contender and 1 time for a mandatory
    Agree with Daxx 100% here.

Thread Information