9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Big larry o tests positives for steriods

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Wow, 4 years is an pretty harsh punishment.
    I think they found like 13 banned substances in his sample.

"Performance enhancers" can be all kinds of things, but at heavyweight I'm really not buying into him using diuretics like fighters who have to make a certain weight. When "PEDS" are mentioned for a heavyweight everyone's first thought is steroids and rightly so judging by the looks of Larry. It is also beneficial to realize that some PEDs are used to relieve pain after workouts and help the body recover quickly therefore insuring the fighter gets the most out of his training camp.

I'm not all that pleased with Larry's response, pointing the finger at other boxers and not naming names or producing evidence. Sure he called out Mosley, Roy Jones Jr, Holyfield, & Toney but he didn't mention any current fighters of whom he says "a large minority" are using PED's
    See, this is how chinese whispers spread...They didn't find 13 samples in his blood. That's absurd.
    They found one - EPO.
    He just admitted to taking 13 banned substances over the course of however many years. Which, to the public will sound insane and cause an uproar but truth be told, anybody who has been caught has probably tried a whole bunch of different stuff to see what worked best etc. But the public will probably think like you, Lyle. "This junkie had 13 different steroids in his body at once!!!". Not the case.

Also, Lyle, you really haven't thought much of your post through. You want him to call people out on a public forum where people can't defend themselves and have never been caught actually juicing?? He would be sued in an instant. Somebody else on that forum also demanded he out people by name..He'd be crazy to.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    See, this is how chinese whispers spread...They didn't find 13 samples in his blood. That's absurd.
    They found one - EPO.
    He just admitted to taking 13 banned substances over the course of however many years. Which, to the public will sound insane and cause an uproar but truth be told, anybody who has been caught has probably tried a whole bunch of different stuff to see what worked best etc. But the public will probably think like you, Lyle. "This junkie had 13 different steroids in his body at once!!!". Not the case.

Also, Lyle, you really haven't thought much of your post through. You want him to call people out on a public forum where people can't defend themselves and have never been caught actually juicing?? He would be sued in an instant. Somebody else on that forum also demanded he out people by name..He'd be crazy to.
    OK, so he admitted to using these banned substances instead of them being found in his sample. My point is when you get caught don't try to make it about someone else you have to own what you did. Also if you know for certain that specific fighters are using PED's then you owe it to the other boxers to notify the proper authorities...boxing is dangerous enough as it is. To come out and just say "Well there are a lot of boxers using PED's" and not mention anyone just seems like a cop out. Either name names or don't mention it because it looks like Larry is just angry he got caught and not remorseful for what he did.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not that I am defending any fighter who cheats, but in my mind, ALL fighters take PED's, obviously most of them are legal, but they are still enhancing themselves with supplements. Special shakes, pills, etc.

It's hard to define that one drug is illegal and another which has the sameor more of an effect is not.

However, everyone knows the rules and you know what you are not allowed to take so no one can complain when they get caught. However I think the whole supplement issue needs to be looked at, because everyone is taking something to give them a boost.

I expect there are also many fighters who take things that they shouldn't and they don't even know it is ilegal. They just swallow what they are told.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

4 years is a potential career ender though. He really only tested positive for EPO (which is the same thing Mosley got caught for).

And to be honest I have no problem with them throwing the book at guys who get busted doping. They need long, stiff punishments if they want to put a dent in the doping situation. But at least be consistent. Margarito got less time for using a tangible weapon in the ring.

When you hear he used 13 substances, that sounds like a lot but it's not really. There are a rediculous amount of different types of steroids for different purposes. I gaurentee you other dopers in the sport have experimented with as many or more different substances over the years.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha ha ha.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he knows fighters that are using then he should help the authorities expose them and they may give him a softer sentence. I do not count Floyd as a drug cheat for using pain killers and just because other fighters may use them does not mean he has to. His offence sounds far more serious. Taking a point from @TitoFan post, just because one fighter does it, does not mean they all should. They know the rules and they should follow them.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with most of you that it was a badly made statement by Larry. I also agree that it's not justified and that he is being punished accordingly. I do believe it is lacking consistency but that's another story.

I know Larry and I know he wouldn't have meant that statement as it came out. Probably still a bit tender and he maybe should have waited to collect his thoughts. He is remorseful - I imagine it's just certain naive statements by some fans that have got to him..especially knowing what he knows about other fighters being on juice that fans adore.

Dunno what more to say really..like I said, that's my boy so anything I say will be biased somewhat. He got caught doing something he shouldn't have and will pay the price for it..bottom line.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only seen him fight that fat plodder who had Tyson fury in trouble. Based on that, he may as well be allowed to wear no gloves and bring a crowbar into the ring were he ever to face anybody half decent. Seriously, A side meth should be legal to use for guys like that, it still wouldn't level the playing field by any means.

Got to feel kind of sorry for him if it was a random test though, 4 years?? What were the circumstances he got caught under?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
    <a href="http://news.boxrec.com/news/2012/exclusive-large-minority-boxers-are-doping-says-drug-cheat-larry-olubamiwo" target="_blank">Exclusive - 'A large minority of boxers are doping' says drug cheat Larry Olubamiwo | BoxRecNews</a><br />
    <br />
    Posting at 3.45am, Olubamiwo wrote: &quot;i felt i owed to the forum to say a few words when it wasnt busy as i dont wanna argue with anyone or create any bad feelings. yes i had been doping for 6 years but for most of u guys to think my opponents were not because of their physiques is quite ridiculous.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;although i will not mention any names the majority of the boxers u all love so dear are on stuff, fact and this is from me talking to them, seeing them buy stuff or talking to their training personnel. Cheating is when u are the only prson doing something and since i know that i wasnt the only person doing it, it cant be defined as cheating.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;a large minority if not majority of boxers are doping and the naivity of the public to think that mine is an isolated case is staggering. Also i am so surprised that i get so much stick but the guys i look up to in the sport like roy jones, shane moseley and james toney who have all been caught dont get as much stick.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;Also lets not forget the holyfield incident with evan fields story, vargas and even mayweather using banned painkillers. if u hate me for doping fine, but then be prepared to hate all ur fav boxers and indeed athletes.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;I appreciate the support I got from this forum and thats why i am coming on here and telling u this. Also i will not hide away as that is not my style and i will be back in boxing when the ban ends like it or not. Walk a mile in my shoes b4 u judge me.&quot;
    <br />
    <br />
    I do want to say as his friend I don't think he thought about that statement before writing it, emotions are obviously still running high for him. It didn't come across well or as he intended.<br />
    <br />
    He did follow it up with this :<br />
    <br />
    &quot;I wasn't suggesting I havn't done wrong I was just letting you guys know what my mindframe was at the time. accept I have done wrong but also want everyone to see the reality of all sports. I accept two wrongs don't make a right and if it felt Like my two posts were made to justify my actions then I apologise for that. I accept I have done wrong and will accept my punishment accordingly.<br />
    I wanted u guys to realise that its one rule for one and another rule for another with the roy jones, shane moseley and james toney situations. For instance James Toney has tested positive twice for steroids and if that was me I would have been banned for life now but somehow he is or was still boxing. So until this sort of thing is addressed, it will go on. Shane moseley has been known to use and doesn't get a ban. Same thing. Again I apologise to u guys for letting u down and thank you ofr the support.&quot;<br />
    <br />
    I'm not justifying any of what Larry has done - You pay to play and he is paying for his choice now. I will say that the media has sensationalised the shit out of it with the whole &quot;13 different Peds&quot;..I spoke with Larry last night and I'd say nearly half of the 13 things are definitely not &quot;performance enhancing&quot;. <br />
    <br />
    I don't know..I will obviously have a skewed perspective of this as he is a friend and I know he is a good person. <br />
    <br />
    Yepp, I fully expect the sarcasm &quot;A good person who takes Peds and tries to batter people in the ring?&quot; but if you ever had a friend in a similar situation, you'd understand. I guess upon reading the article, I just thought to myself &quot;This isn't Larry who they're describing&quot; but you guys make your own minds up.<br />
    <br />
    Also, some of the names he mentioned to me that the doping agency are keeping tabs on regarding juicing would blow your minds!!<br />
    <br />
    I do agree that people like Mosley, Toney, Vargas, Roy Jones, Holyfield got away scott free and some will even have a place in the hall of fame one day..Where as Larry the British level fighter gets made a huge example of. That's unfair but then again so is life. <br />
    <br />
    Overall, don't misunderstand. I feel the 4 year ban is justified but if they want this to be fair across the board, there needs to be a standard. Randomly testing certain fighters just isn't good enough.
    <br />
    <br />

This is a real shame for boxing and Larry being your mate must be pretty hard to take. If I had a close friend and this happened I would be very concerned about the issue obviously and it's good to see you being there for Larry, I am sure he supports you for posting stuff like this in his defence which is what friends are for really.

However, this really is a grey area in the sport, a lot of stuff has been going down recently in boxing which I do feel is harming the image of the sport. Larry hasn't taken a lot on the chin for this ban and has shown light on potentially other stars cheating too from what he has said. And as a boxing fan that really does annoy/upset me a lot because I do follow this sport closely. Hearing stuff like this does make you think there is a lot of work outside of the ring to be done IMO because PEDs should not be part of any sport, especially boxing where more than other sports, peoples lives are actually in danager.

A guy like big Larry having an unfair advantage with him being such a big guy does really put him in the spotlight IMO. I think Larry has been honest which is the main thing and shows he's a real man. However, I do feel with this happening and a lot of world wide contraversies happening recently in boxing, mainly stateside, I feel a change should happen in the sport in the near future. To improve the image of the sport and catch out people who ultimately are cheating for their own gain.

As a friend of Larry you clearly must be gutted, I am too on your behalf, but I do think something like this happening is really opening the eyes a bit more of the general public with the whole PEDS issue in boxing. Hopefully something can happen from this , will it? I don't know we will have to see, but it sucks hearing stuff like this.

I always looked out for big larrry because he was such a beast, but I do feel a bit let down with this happening. But it's clearly an issue which needs action to be honest. Hope Larry serves the ban gracefully and on his behalf and boxings behalf something is done about this. We will see though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing really is going down the pan ay? I mean, no one really seems to give enough of a shit to sort this sport out.

When a below average fighter admits to something as hiddeous as substance abuse and justifes it by claiming that everyone else is doing it, well then that suggests an element of chaos.

I don't think it was a particularly bad statement to make. Its an honest response and I admire that because he is opening the lid from the can of worms he was pulled from.

Although I don't think actually naming people will help, it just gives people a chance to defend themselves.
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 06-21-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
    <a href="http://news.boxrec.com/news/2012/exclusive-large-minority-boxers-are-doping-says-drug-cheat-larry-olubamiwo" target="_blank">Exclusive - 'A large minority of boxers are doping' says drug cheat Larry Olubamiwo | BoxRecNews</a><br />
    <br />
    Posting at 3.45am, Olubamiwo wrote: &quot;i felt i owed to the forum to say a few words when it wasnt busy as i dont wanna argue with anyone or create any bad feelings. yes i had been doping for 6 years but for most of u guys to think my opponents were not because of their physiques is quite ridiculous.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;although i will not mention any names the majority of the boxers u all love so dear are on stuff, fact and this is from me talking to them, seeing them buy stuff or talking to their training personnel. Cheating is when u are the only prson doing something and since i know that i wasnt the only person doing it, it cant be defined as cheating.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;a large minority if not majority of boxers are doping and the naivity of the public to think that mine is an isolated case is staggering. Also i am so surprised that i get so much stick but the guys i look up to in the sport like roy jones, shane moseley and james toney who have all been caught dont get as much stick.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;Also lets not forget the holyfield incident with evan fields story, vargas and even mayweather using banned painkillers. if u hate me for doping fine, but then be prepared to hate all ur fav boxers and indeed athletes.<br />
    <br />
    &quot;I appreciate the support I got from this forum and thats why i am coming on here and telling u this. Also i will not hide away as that is not my style and i will be back in boxing when the ban ends like it or not. Walk a mile in my shoes b4 u judge me.&quot;
    <br />
    <br />
    I do want to say as his friend I don't think he thought about that statement before writing it, emotions are obviously still running high for him. It didn't come across well or as he intended.<br />
    <br />
    He did follow it up with this :<br />
    <br />
    &quot;I wasn't suggesting I havn't done wrong I was just letting you guys know what my mindframe was at the time. accept I have done wrong but also want everyone to see the reality of all sports. I accept two wrongs don't make a right and if it felt Like my two posts were made to justify my actions then I apologise for that. I accept I have done wrong and will accept my punishment accordingly.<br />
    I wanted u guys to realise that its one rule for one and another rule for another with the roy jones, shane moseley and james toney situations. For instance James Toney has tested positive twice for steroids and if that was me I would have been banned for life now but somehow he is or was still boxing. So until this sort of thing is addressed, it will go on. Shane moseley has been known to use and doesn't get a ban. Same thing. Again I apologise to u guys for letting u down and thank you ofr the support.&quot;<br />
    <br />
    I'm not justifying any of what Larry has done - You pay to play and he is paying for his choice now. I will say that the media has sensationalised the shit out of it with the whole &quot;13 different Peds&quot;..I spoke with Larry last night and I'd say nearly half of the 13 things are definitely not &quot;performance enhancing&quot;. <br />
    <br />
    I don't know..I will obviously have a skewed perspective of this as he is a friend and I know he is a good person. <br />
    <br />
    Yepp, I fully expect the sarcasm &quot;A good person who takes Peds and tries to batter people in the ring?&quot; but if you ever had a friend in a similar situation, you'd understand. I guess upon reading the article, I just thought to myself &quot;This isn't Larry who they're describing&quot; but you guys make your own minds up.<br />
    <br />
    Also, some of the names he mentioned to me that the doping agency are keeping tabs on regarding juicing would blow your minds!!<br />
    <br />
    I do agree that people like Mosley, Toney, Vargas, Roy Jones, Holyfield got away scott free and some will even have a place in the hall of fame one day..Where as Larry the British level fighter gets made a huge example of. That's unfair but then again so is life. <br />
    <br />
    Overall, don't misunderstand. I feel the 4 year ban is justified but if they want this to be fair across the board, there needs to be a standard. Randomly testing certain fighters just isn't good enough.
    <br />
    <br />

This is a real shame for boxing and Larry being your mate must be pretty hard to take. If I had a close friend and this happened I would be very concerned about the issue obviously and it's good to see you being there for Larry, I am sure he supports you for posting stuff like this in his defence which is what friends are for really.

However, this really is a grey area in the sport, a lot of stuff has been going down recently in boxing which I do feel is harming the image of the sport. Larry hasn't taken a lot on the chin for this ban and has shown light on potentially other stars cheating too from what he has said. And as a boxing fan that really does annoy/upset me a lot because I do follow this sport closely. Hearing stuff like this does make you think there is a lot of work outside of the ring to be done IMO because PEDs should not be part of any sport, especially boxing where more than other sports, peoples lives are actually in danager.

A guy like big Larry having an unfair advantage with him being such a big guy does really put him in the spotlight IMO. I think Larry has been honest which is the main thing and shows he's a real man. However, I do feel with this happening and a lot of world wide contraversies happening recently in boxing, mainly stateside, I feel a change should happen in the sport in the near future. To improve the image of the sport and catch out people who ultimately are cheating for their own gain.

As a friend of Larry you clearly must be gutted, I am too on your behalf, but I do think something like this happening is really opening the eyes a bit more of the general public with the whole PEDS issue in boxing. Hopefully something can happen from this , will it? I don't know we will have to see, but it sucks hearing stuff like this.

I always looked out for big larrry because he was such a beast, but I do feel a bit let down with this happening. But it's clearly an issue which needs action to be honest. Hope Larry serves the ban gracefully and on his behalf and boxings behalf something is done about this. We will see though.
    The thing that annoys me most is that honesty is punished further where as being sly about things results in less punishment. Yeah, I realise it's ironic that I say he's being honest about it when it has come to light what he has taken over the 6 years but to have his record completely wiped and banned for 4 years is not consistent with guys like Margarito who put bricks in his gloves and just got the 1 year. Or Holyfield, Mosley etc who didn't get any punishment at all did they?

There needs to be a consistent punishment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps larry can go round the gyms and tell the children drugs don't work by showing them the John McDermott fight , and can althug or way ever your name is best mate with larry tell us the truth why somebody would admit to taken 13 different steriods over six years ?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trecco bay View Post
    Perhaps larry can go round the gyms and tell the children drugs don't work by showing them the John McDermott fight , and can althug or way ever your name is best mate with larry tell us the truth why somebody would admit to taken 13 different steriods over six years ?
    Yeah good one.. Those jokes have been done to death - Get some new material

He had his reasons..but the bottom line is that they are trying to make a massive example of him. Rather your average domestic fighter, than your elite level boxer who makes the state tons of income in tax right?

I can ask Larry if he would be willing to do a Q+A for you guys on here if anyone is interested? I can't guarantee he'll be up for it but I can have a word..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I've spoken to Larry and he has agreed. So, if you want to start this "Ask the Pro" thread thingy with a controversial corker, he's up for it. Let me know Saddo or whoever will be in charge.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

perhaps larry was caught at the wrong time but its more like a case of one rule for one and another for another
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Thread Information