Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Is Oscar a legend ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Oscar Delahoya a Legend ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Oscar Delahoya a Legend ?

Oscar is a sure fire hall of famer and a great fighter.

But is he a legend ?

Will he be remembered the same as Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard ?

I would say NO.

Oscar was a great fighter, but he missed becoming a legend.

In comparison I would say that Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones and James Toney are legends.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Oscar Delahoya a Legend ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Oscar is a sure fire hall of famer and a great fighter.

But is he a legend ?

Will he be remembered the same as Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard ?

I would say NO.

Oscar was a great fighter, but he missed becoming a legend.

In comparison I would say that Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones and James Toney are legends.
    Oscar is a legend because he revitalized the sport, he has the biggest PPV draws for anyone not being a HW and to top it off he is running one of the top promotion companies in the sport.

I'd say he'll go down as a legend .
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You could argue both sides, but yes he probably should go down as a legend. He pretty much fought the best, granted people will say he lost some of his biggest fights and got some gifts in others, well 2 of his big losses, tito and second shane, easily could be wins with different judges...Like onixx said he revitalized the sport drew interest from people that otherwise have no interest in boxing, and was always almost competitive while in his good years and up to 154 lbs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends on what your definition of legend is. He's done a lot for boxing and kept it in the mainstream a little longer in the '00s especially his fights with the current 2 top fighters. However I disagree on the fact he revitalized the sport as others here have said. To revitalize something means that you're bringing back a sport that was dead. Boxing was never dead in the 90's when Oscar hit the scene, especially considering that decade produced the 2nd greatest HW era behind the '70s. And the state of boxing in the mainstream has always been determined by how healthy the HW division is.

Oscar is a great fighter and in my eyes he's a legend, but barely makes it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Depends on what your definition of legend is. He's done a lot for boxing and kept it in the mainstream a little longer in the '00s especially his fights with the current 2 top fighters. However I disagree on the fact he revitalized the sport as others here have said. To revitalize something means that you're bringing back a sport that was dead. Boxing was never dead in the 90's when Oscar hit the scene, especially considering that decade produced the 2nd greatest HW era behind the '70s. And the state of boxing in the mainstream has always been determined by how healthy the HW division is.

Oscar is a great fighter and in my eyes he's a legend, but barely makes it.

Better said. A better description would be that he brough alot of attention to the lighter weight divisions.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in my opinion yes

he fought the best there was plus i also thought he beat mosley & trinidad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1st fighter in history to have 6 division world championships.
    Highest earning fighter in history.
    Probably best looking too.
    Yes he is a LEGEND.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    in my opinion yes

Yes but theres also a flipside to that, i thought he lost to Ike Quartey, Felix Sturm. And just about scrapped a draw vs a past his prime Pernell Whitaker.

But then again there's no real shame in that. Well except obviously Felix Sturm because he isn't obviously on same level as other 2 names. But he's still pretty decent fighter and ODLH was in horrible shape for that fight, and he never belonged at Middleweight so we can excuse him that.

As for being a legend, yes of course he is a legend. He was one of the most recognized names in boxing in the 90's. He won an Olympic gold medal, aswell as winning titles in 6 different weightclasses, aswell as fighting the whos/who of boxing.

What else could he have done ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    in my opinion yes

Yes but theres also a flipside to that, i thought he lost to Ike Quartey, Felix Sturm. And just about scrapped a draw vs a past his prime Pernell Whitaker.

But then again there's no real shame in that. Well except obviously Felix Sturm because he isn't obviously on same level as other 2 names. But he's still pretty decent fighter and ODLH was in horrible shape for that fight, and he never belonged at Middleweight so we can excuse him that.

As for being a legend, yes of course he is a legend. He was one of the most recognized names in boxing in the 90's. He won an Olympic gold medal, aswell as winning titles in 6 different weightclasses, aswell as fighting the whos/who of boxing.

yeah he defo lost the sturm fight cant remember who i had winning the ike fight tho?

think he got the gift with sturm fight cos he had the big fight with hopkins coming up?

ICB Guest

in my opinion yes

yeah he defo lost the sturm fight cant remember who i had winning the ike fight tho?

think he got the gift with sturm fight cos he had the big fight with hopkins coming up?
    Well even with the last round knockdown, Ike Quartey still won that fight. He busted up ODLH with his jab, and won the famous round where they traded knockdowns. He was 3 points going into the last round, and he fought back enough not to make it a 10-7 round.

So he won by 1 point on my scorecard, but the thing that is total bullshit. Is that even if ODLH wouldn't of knocked Ike Quartey down in the last round, he still would of won how BS is that honestly.

And yes he got the gift against Felix Sturm, because of the big pay day with B-Hop coming up. Still don't make it right though, but thats boxing for you. It can be an ugly sport at times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

....is there anyone who has even seen half of a boxing match that doesn't know his name. Hall of famer of course. His record and fights don't matter as much as what he's done for the sport as a whole.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in my opinion yes

Yeah just read Oscars book and he says he actually thought he lost the fight with Sturm and was in a way upset that he got the nod. Not many fighters will admit stuff like that so he gained some credit from at least me there anyway.

As for being a legend I'd say yes easily. Look at his record, I think he only ever fought one fighter with a losing record and was a world champ after I think it was 12 fights. He won world titles at 6 weights and has been involved in some of the biggest PPV fights in history.

I suppose it depends on how deep you want to go with legends though, if you only reserve the word legend for the likes of Ali, Louis and Robinson then maybe not but Oscar is the most popular fighter since Leonard outside the HW's and has never ducked anybody and 20 years from now I think you will struggle to find a fighter who has fought more fellow hall of famers.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In short: NO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Without a shadow of a doubt he is a legend. It should not need explaining why

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    1st fighter in history to have 6 division world championships.
    Highest earning fighter in history.
    Probably best looking too.
    Yes he is a LEGEND.

Simple as that. I really can't believe that this would even be discussed. Oscar's resume is one of the very best in boxing. A champion in six divisions (whether they were legit belts or not).

Thread Information