Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Scott Quigg v Jono Carroll

Bit of a masterclass from Carroll there, didn't put a foot wrong in the entire fight, he really has improved.
    Quigg on the other hand looked shot, pretty much retired himself during the interview after the fight, poor display from the corner because he should have been pulled out a lot earlier, Crolla looked desperate to get him out of there, yeah Carroll is feather fisted but there was no point in leaving Quigg in there for that long.

I do agree with Quigg after the fight though when he said that 3 or 4 years ago he would have beat Carroll.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Bit of a masterclass from Carroll there, didn't put a foot wrong in the entire fight, he really has improved.
    Quigg on the other hand looked shot, pretty much retired himself during the interview after the fight, poor display from the corner because he should have been pulled out a lot earlier, Crolla looked desperate to get him out of there, yeah Carroll is feather fisted but there was no point in leaving Quigg in there for that long.

I do agree with Quigg after the fight though when he said that 3 or 4 years ago he would have beat Carroll.
    Quigg was shot pity his corner could not have pulled him out about round 7 Scott to brave for his own good he was just a punch bag.🤕

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I almost had to watch it through my hands having always been a big Quigg fan. Dia is right he was too brave for his own good. Not been the same since tearing his bicep and various other injuries that seemed to have robbed him of the ability to hurt people like Caroll who he would have dealt with quite handily a couple years back. Not taking anything away form Carroll but the result may well flatter him and he will do well to take the next step up to world class. He has improved though and so maybe he will continue to do so. It can be such a cruel sport and it is easy to forget how sometimes you can repeatedly climb a hill to find nothing at the top.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scott Quigg was outclassed by Carroll but he has not fought in nearly 18 months and was stepping up to super-featherweight to face a world title contender. Quigg should have taken an easier fight to get back into ring. Hatton did the same thing when he did his comeback. If fighters are serious about their careers then he should have managed it better.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scott Quigg retires following loss to Jono Carroll

Former super-bantamweight world champion Scott Quigg has announced his retirement from boxing following his loss to Jono Carroll on Saturday.

Quigg – the WBA's belt-holder at super-bantam from 2013 to 2016 – stepped up to super-featherweight to face Carroll in Manchester, but the Englishman looked well short of his best as he was outclassed before his corner threw in the towel in the 11th round.

The 31-year-old strongly hinted at retirement in the immediate aftermath of the contest, stating: "This was a must-win fight. On this performance, I don't know what's left. If this is it, thank you."

Quigg [35-3-2] duly confirmed he would hang up his gloves in an Instagram post on Sunday, which read: "Unfortunately last night wasn't my night and it showed me it was time to call it a day!

"It's been a great journey & I couldn't of [sic] given the sport anymore and it's been a pleasure working alongside [promoter] @eddiehearn.

"I've achieved everything my desire, dedication and ability would take me to and I can walk away with my head held high! Thank you to everyone for the tremendous support over the years."

Arguably the finest win of Quigg's career came in July 2015 when he stopped Kiko Martinez in the second round of a stunning contest in Manchester.

However, he lost his unbeaten record seven months later, suffering a split-decision defeat to Carl Frampton in a long-awaited bout.

Quigg was never able to recapture his best form thereafter and suffered a second loss in February 2018, going down on points to Oscar Valdez after missing the weight for what would have been a WBO featherweight title bout.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/sco...195852123.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always liked Quigg; always turned up in shape, always gave his all and had a great wide eyed scary stare!

A fantastic career from an honest fighter who absolutely indisputably made the most of his talent and didn't squander any iota of it. Fell just short of 'World class' and no shame in that at all.

All the best in retirement!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information