Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao dictating the weight thing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pacquiao dictating the weight thing?

Should Pacquiao be allowed to dictate that Cotto has to weigh 145lbs when Cotto is the WBO world welterweight champion and pacquiao wants the belt at stake as well if he wants the title shouldn't the weight limit still be 147lbs and if he wants 145lbs then no title. I like Pac i really do but all because he beats an average fighter in David Diaz a weight drained De La Hoya and a shot Hatton Does it really mean he can basically dictate ?? And yes Hatton was shot really after Mayweather had done with him the Lazcano fight proved that yes he looked good vs feather fisted Mallinaggi but facts are he had declined really. He wants Cotto at 145lbs he wanted Mosley at 143lbs i know Pacquiao is the man of the moment but these guys are the champs if you want there titles its fight at 147lbs surely or otherwise its catchweight and no title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao dictating the weight thing?

I don't think it's really Pac dictating the weight.. It's obvious Pac has a better chance at a catch weight than to fight at another fighters full weight.. So he just entered into negotiations for the fight with an aim to give himself the best shot in the fight.. It's up to the opponent whether they wish to accept or hold off.. I suppose the ability to dictate comes from having many fighters wanting to take on Pac, and anyone that wants to fight him should probably take whatever opportunity they get. Even if it's a little more on Pac's terms... They can always say no.. Pac is probably the hottest thing in boxing right now for media etc, and there are probably 50 fighters out there that would let Pac dictate a few terms if they had the opportunity to get in the ring with him....
    He's just in a relatively strong position at the moment to put his preference forward and opponents can accept if they want.. I think Pac would have been happy to go to 147 for a big fight if things had of worked out that way... But I think both Pac and Cotto were happy with they weight the chose...

LOL did I make any point with all that Umm, I think dictate isn't quite the right word, but i'd just say that any fighter who is having his moment as the drawcard of boxing has the ability to pick his terms, and other fighters are happy to accept for they pay off they get for getting in the ring with them...

And personally i'd rather see a BIG fight happen between a 140 lb fighter and a 147 lb fighter at 143/144, than to have the same two fighters bicker over 140 or 147, and then the fight never happen... But for the belt, that's a really difficult one.... If you have the 147 pound Welterweight title, then move down to fight at light welter (140), should you lose your Welterweight belt? Certainly the light welter fighter cant take it from you fighting at 140 pounds..

Really really really thinking hard about it, I think for Cotto to earn a Welterweight belt, for someone to take it, they must face him at 147 pounds... It should just be a hard fast rule..... But if you were to relax it, then if Cotto agree's to put his belt on the line at 145 then I guess that could happen....

But if someone is holding a belt that you want, the oweness should be on you to move up to that weight and take it...
    Last edited by Dizaster; 09-05-2009 at 09:07 AM.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonbruno View Post
    Should Pacquiao be allowed to dictate that Cotto has to weigh 145lbs when Cotto is the WBO world welterweight champion and pacquiao wants the belt at stake as well if he wants the title shouldn't the weight limit still be 147lbs and if he wants 145lbs then no title. I like Pac i really do but all because he beats an average fighter in David Diaz a weight drained De La Hoya and a shot Hatton Does it really mean he can basically dictate ?? And yes Hatton was shot really after Mayweather had done with him the Lazcano fight proved that yes he looked good vs feather fisted Mallinaggi but facts are he had declined really. He wants Cotto at 145lbs he wanted Mosley at 143lbs i know Pacquiao is the man of the moment but these guys are the champs if you want there titles its fight at 147lbs surely or otherwise its catchweight and no title.

Its not rocket science, PAC brings the majority of the cards to the table the high ppv numbers the p4p number 1 slot, etc etc The reason he fought Dela Hoya at 147 because Dela Hoya was holding the cards he was the cash cow, so now hes the main man in this fight he is dictating what happens, Cotto will be getting paid the most he ever has by come margain, so it's upto him but his role in this fight is the man coming in to fight the main man, is it correct no probably not but thats the way boxing goes its all about money not some shitty WBO Belt.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    Its not rocket science, PAC brings the majority of the cards to the table the high ppv numbers the p4p number 1 slot, etc etc The reason he fought Dela Hoya at 147 because Dela Hoya was holding the cards he was the cash cow, so now hes the main man in this fight he is dictating what happens, Cotto will be getting paid the most he ever has by come margain, so it's upto him but his role in this fight is the man coming in to fight the main man, is it correct no probably not but thats the way boxing goes its all about money not some shitty WBO Belt.
    You hit the nail on the head. That's how boxing business is done. A few examples. JCC dictated the WBC welterweight title with Whittaker at you guessed it, 145 pounds. Ray Leonard dictated his LHW title fight with Lalonde at 168. Oscar dictated Hopkins fight at 158 for his titles. Why did JCC, Leonard, and Oscar dictate these terms? Because they can and they were considered to be the main man at the time.

Pac isn't doing anything new here. He's just following in the footsteps of JCC, Leonard, and Oscar. He be stupid not to since those 3 are the most successful of their era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

I hear what your saying totally and i understand that myself but if you want to be Welterweight Champion let the champion fight at his welterweight weight he wanted mosley to come to 143lbs he's the one stepping up for the title he you want to fight Cotto or Mosley let them be at there strongest weighing 147lbs then no excuses after about weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol Remember Pacquiao is a fighter that don't have weight class. Actually He can fight at any weight class from Featherweight to Welterweight. If he wants to he can still fight at Flyweight.

Pacquiao is a 10 division fighter in his resume. From 106 to 147lbs.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really speaks to the increasing irrelevancy of the belts some cheerleading fans put so much emphasis on.Manny is currently riding a huge wave of exposure and is holding the purse strings on the moola.I still feel that if you truly want to be 'the man' you should step up to an opponents best fighting weight and cut the haggling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

140 lbs division. Pacquiao is going up again 5 lbs more. Pacquiao last weigh in is 138lbs (+7)

and

147 lbs division. Cotto will go down 2 lbs. Cotto last weigh in is 146 lbs = (-1)

Do the MATH. I think its FAIR!

Marquez and Mayweather is fighting at 144lbs another catchweight too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Any fighter that isn't trying to gain an edge within the rules, in training, negotiations, any part of the mechanics of professional boxing, isn't trying hard enough.

No one is forcing anyone to fight Pac, or accept terms they see as unfit. They don't like it, don't take it. It's really not that difficult.

And I'm rooting for Cotto in this one.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Any fighter that isn't trying to gain an edge within the rules, in training, negotiations, any part of the mechanics of professional boxing, isn't trying hard enough.

No one is forcing anyone to fight Pac, or accept terms they see as unfit. They don't like it, don't take it. It's really not that difficult.

And I'm rooting for Cotto in this one.
    All true.It is all about the green But I'd prefer a Cotto-Mosley rematch.I don't doubt that Cotto believes he can whip Manny.But it strikes me as over blown parlor games or bartering over a used car sticker price.Shut up and fight!Either way I'm rooting for Cotto...but I think Pacquiao cuts him up badly down the stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weight thing is Bullshit any more. They weigh in the day before the fight and by fight time Cotto will weigh 155 pounds. It is a dead issue.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs down Re: Pacquiao dictating the weight thing?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    lol Remember Pacquiao is a fighter that don't have weight class. Actually He can fight at any weight class from Featherweight to Welterweight. If he wants to he can still fight at Flyweight.

bonehead.

the pacnut smiley is back
    bye-bye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will call you brain dead when Pacquioa finish Cotto for good in nov 14. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post

bonehead.

bye-bye

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bonehead.

bye-bye
    You sound an awful lot like someone else who used to post here all the time....

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

bonehead.

bye-bye
    You sound an awful lot like someone else who used to post here all the time....
    But i still wonder: Why is the Pacman dragging the biggest amount of trolls on the forum? And yeah, I think that we are more or less thinking the same thing about who could be this pacTroll...
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information