Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "He got exposed..."

I was just at boxingscene checking out an article on Donaire's excuses for his loss against Rigondeaux and I scrolled down and saw the usual "dude got exposed" comments. Is it just me or do others also get tired of hearing this shit. I'm not a Donaire fan and I thought Ridondeaux would win (though I did think it would be closer and that he'd get knocked down earlier) but it seems to me that anytime a good fighter loses to another these days he's suddenly "exposed". Now I can understand when a shitcunt hypejob like Rios robs Abril and people start chanting the word but it's as if the word is thrown without any actual thought. The best lose when they fight the best and sometimes by shutout or KO. Styles make fights, shit happens or whatever, it's a part of the game. One of the worst things about it though is that it takes away from the winner. No matter how anticipated the fight was suddenly the guy he fought was a bum all along. The crazy thing is that it can work in reverse, for example when Guerrero loses against Floyd some dickhead's going to say "wow dude got exposed". No he didn't he just lost like anyone with a brain knew he would. Now I hope that Floyd gets kayoed but come on we all know it's not going to happen. Is it that the 0 is seen as so important nowadays or the fact that yes most of the top guys are shitcunt hypejobs? Or maybe the all the hyping of shitcunts has made the 0 so important? Either way Duran was exposed by Hearns and should have hanged his gloves up, same with Robinson by La Motta and Marquez by Floyd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "He got exposed..."

Yep, plenty of dumb@$$es throw that term around nowadays; they don't even know what it means.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way it is with modern boxing these days. We can't go back to the golden years of boxing but back then they were willing to fight more regularly & against the top opposition on a consistent basis. Yeah there has been fighters who have been avoided but the sport was much more open on the whole in dem days.

Nowadays with so many titles that can be stripped for no reason or forced to face less than stellar opponents who somehow get top rankings. Different promoters aligned with different TV stations & unwilling to do business etc etc.

Donaire has done rather quite well & just came up against someone who had a style that troubled him, fuck man I've been in gyms (not fought competitive) where a guy had a style that was hard to fight against, the old cliche - styles make fights.

It looks like he's staying @ 122 so a rematch may come about & he could possibly win if he adjusts, stranger things have happened. Calzaghe schooled Lacy, that was on a scale but a loss nowadays means more to a fighter's credibility than many moons ago.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate that term, it is dumb, obviously someone gets exposed.

During every single loss in boxing history someone got exposed.

It's the equivilant of watching a football match and saying the losing keeper "didn't save"

Well yes, you moron.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^ See...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The power-punching Edison Pantera Miranda is what it means to be exposed. Long string of KOs against lower-tier and mid-tier fighters, he looked so good, terrific trash-talker, some thought he may be Bernard Hopkins' heir at 160, guys were ducking him, but ultimately when he stepped in against the top guys, all his skill limitations and lack of boxing intelligence were exposed. And he couldn't improve.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    The power-punching Edison Pantera Miranda is what it means to be exposed. Long string of KOs against lower-tier and mid-tier fighters, he looked so good, terrific trash-talker, some thought he may be Bernard Hopkins' heir at 160, guys were ducking him, but ultimately when he stepped in against the top guys, all his skill limitations and lack of boxing intelligence were exposed. And he couldn't improve.
    Absolutely. I was one of those who thought he had a bright future. Another example is Andre Berto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Speaking of Hopkins, have to throw Pavlik in the mix as well. His entire life went downhill after that class.

El Kabong Guest

See when I think "exposed" I think Michael Grant...big hype job, lots of guys saying "He's the next great American heavyweight" and then all the air went out of that balloon, the man is still trying to recover.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still think it is dumb.

When mayweather loses, everyone will say exposed.

Just stfu, half the fights we watch would have a different result if fought the next night.

Stop analyzing and start enjoying. Analyze after.

No one thinks your smart because you suggested someone may get "exposed"
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s another one of these boxing terms that means nothing at all in the way that it is used. Its turned into a put down of sorts. I do think that Donaire was a bit of a hype job because of some of his finishes but that does not mean he was exposed. He did look a little one dimensional in the fight but that's a credit to Rigo. I think a second fight looks much different and is most likely to happen unless mandatory's get in the way.

Exposure can mean taking advantage of a certain weakness (styles make fights) or at times one is totally outclassed by another leading the viewer to believe the loser had no business being there.

Max Baer exposed Primo Carnera as a lumbering oaf mob creation.
    Jack Dempsey exposed Jess Willard as a flailing big man of little skill
    Gene Tunney did not expose Harry Greb
    Bernard Hopkins exposed Kelly Pavlik's rinse a repeat style not Kelly the fighter
    Ray Leonard did not expose Thomas Hearns

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    It’s another one of these boxing terms that means nothing at all in the way that it is used. Its turned into a put down of sorts. I do think that Donaire was a bit of a hype job because of some of his finishes but that does not mean he was exposed. He did look a little one dimensional in the fight but that's a credit to Rigo. I think a second fight looks much different and is most likely to happen unless mandatory's get in the way.

Exposure can mean taking advantage of a certain weakness (styles make fights) or at times one is totally outclassed by another leading the viewer to believe the loser had no business being there.

Bernard Hopkins exposed Kelly Pavlik's rinse a repeat style not Kelly the fighter
    Calzaghe exposed Lacy. No denying.
    You say tomato,

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

Certainly, being "exposed" happens...is it over used? Yes of course it is. I don't think when you're on a really high level as a fighter and you lose but you continue to remain at that high level then you haven't "been exposed". For example, Shane Mosley has more than a few losses on his record but I wouldn't say he ever got "exposed" by anyone...his style didn't match well vs the Vernon Forrest/Winky Wright styles but he wasn't "exposed".

When I think "exposed" I think: We all thought this fighter was going to be a World Class fighter, but he didn't live up to his potential for one reason or another: Andrew Golota is a guy I think of, he was a few brain farts away from being a champion....Gerry Cooney or Tommy Morrison could have a case for being "exposed"....or if there's a "blue print" for how to beat a certain fighter then maybe it's fair to use it then, but Donaire was a champion, he will remain boxing at a high level, he just lost....that's not "being exposed".

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

He most certainly did and in the he had no business being there kind of way.

El Kabong Guest

He most certainly did and in the he had no business being there kind of way.
    Yes BUT I don't think we can say Winky Wright "exposed" Felix Trinidad because Tito was a hell of a fighter in his day and fought at the very highest level vs some very good opponents.....Winky handed his ass to him, but I wouldn't go as far to say Trinidad was "exposed" simply due to how good he was before that fight. Same with Roy Jones Jr. & Tarver or Johnson.

Jeff Lacy was on the brink of being World Class and got the shit hammered out of him and never regained his former glory, never came close. I was one of the guys that bought into the Lacy hype too. I was so hyped for the potential of a Taylor vs Lacy bout and when it finally came, I was like "meh...I guess they might as well, but I'm not all that interested".

Dominick Guinn got exposed, Audley Harrison got exposed...those guys were at the very least supposed to be really good contenders and they even managed to fuck that up.

Thread Information