Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Powerless

Hey dudes, my mother became very sick and I'm feeling helpless as she is in another state. Its really troublesome as I'm trying to get to the bottom of things and I keep getting the run around from the medical community. Its like they are too scared to say they might have made error. I was just going to take her on vacation but I can't bring it up nto her as I fear she will feel guilty about ruining the trip but I don't give a shit about her ruining the trip it is the least of my concerns. Don't you hate to see family members suffering. Tbh I'm very pissed right now as I've speaken with some doctors I work with and they ate alluding to the fact that a medication error may be at play but won't come right out and say it. I don't know about you but I would much rather see myself suffer than dear old mom. I was trying to talk to her today and she couldn't talk for more than a minute. I need to watch my anger as I was at work yesterday and had to bite my tongue as I was ready to flip on people. Now tonight I start my other job unless I need to travel to see her but things are not well right now. Thanks guys just needed to get that off my chest.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Powerless

Just do what you can to help your Mum. Don't be afraid of just trying to get some info when you see her. It's only for her health and welfare. My Mother is someone I know I have to be ready to help at some stage and that's why I live my life the way I do. It is much harder when that person thinks nothing like you do too.

El Kabong Guest

That's rough and life never seems to just give you a time out to make sure you can give your complete focus to what is most important to you at the moment.

For your own sake try not to project or displace your anger and frustration onto others as that will of course make them feel bad and in hindsight you'll feel bad about that and also it won't help anything. If you need a chance to yell and vent and get everything out then take a short break from work and do that just so you're not dragging others down, you're not digging a hole for yourself, and you're not wasting emotions on events other than what you are actually worried about or wanting to focus on.

I do hope things turn around for your mother soon. I hope you are able to feel better and yes there is a sense of powerlessness, but you can only control so much of your own life...other people's health isn't something you can affect unless you're a doctor. You CAN affect other people's attitudes and a good positive attitude is one of the best weapons you can have in a medical situation, it's not the end all be all, but it's better, easier, and treatment is more effective with a happy patient than a depressed one, so stay focused, stay strong for your mother, and maybe let your co-workers know what is going on if they will be supportive of you (and I know not all work forces are supportive).

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope your Mum is better soon.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My best wishes to you and your family , I hope your mother gets better soon.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its sucks when doctors aren't forthcoming and even shittier when one suspects they don't want to admit to an error they may have made. Covering their asses is not what they should be doing now. Like I told you Wednesday try to keep calm as it will keep your mom upbeat. Things will calm down soon and answers will be there. Best of luck with it all @walrus

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys your kind words are appreciated. It appears it was a medical error either the doc wrote it wrong or the nurse read it wrong. I have calmed down and can now deal with it rationally. El kabong your words were helpful and I appreciate all of you who commented. In the end none of us are perfect, these docs and nurses do much more good than harm so I am no longer on the war path.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Understanding and clear direction forward is very hard long distance and more frustrating can be getting clear information from an often rotating medical staff. Its essential to have a network..family member(s) in the area? to tag team it until you can get your eyes on her and sort it out. We have our parents meds listed weekly as changes...idiot relief Doctors upping or discontinuing some meds without actually knowing full history..can cause as many issues than the initial problem! Frustratingly though it all comes down to mom keeping her appointments and as they told US when we were kids, taking what we're supposed to when we're supposed to. I hope she's on the road to recovery bud.

Thread Information