Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Do You Have More Than One Boxing Style ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Do You Have More Than One Boxing Style ??

I have two my first one is boxing on outside using footwork and snappy jab and combos my 2nd one is putting my hands near my face sort of like Mike Tyson style with bobbing and weaving i find that style very good for landing hard body shots and solid left hooks to the face i was just wondering if you guys and girls use more than one style.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do You Have More Than One Boxing Style ??

When you think about it ,a fighter when he is gettting things in the ring going his own way, can start to utilize all that he knows in freedom and can incorperate many different styles that he fancies or has practiced hopeing to create that finish or create that opening to finish,because he is moving in comfort and has no fear of the opponents power.

Some guys you see try to change styles mid fight when they are in trouble to see if they can interupt their stronger opponents rythem and get a handle on the fight again.

Others can do as you say and know the strengths and weaknesses of different styles and time it correctly for their use in most fights.

I think and hope there are fighters being born or who are comming up now who can be completley free flowing becuase they understand why certain moves work in certain situations and others dont work due to a style or situation .
    Then we will get to see a multi style fighter who can turn on a dime and plant and sting when it counts, use the ropes to advantage, miss time someone, because they ment to, Switch and hit when its only correct to do so,disrupt balance and or timing off an opponments elbow point,use disruption of movment before a finishing shot so they lean into the shot etc etc.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would learn how to fight in,and or out,with any style,rather then changing
    That way when you do switch,you cant be baited or pressured in to mistakes

ICB Guest

Good points fellas ccs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All these things, styles, tactics, and strategy can be trained.

I think when it comes down to training you ought to rehearse all the situations, moves, counter moves in your mind. How to fight on the inside, off the ropes, setting them up. This can be applied in sparring, bagwork, and shadow boxing. Different styles can cause different problems, and it's a good idea to spends some time going over them so that you have a pretty good idea what to expect when you have a serious opponent infront of you whose looking to win.

Tommy Loughran, whom was a very clever fighter back in his the day said he could sucker a guy into about anything when it came to boxing. When he trained and especially when he shadowboxed he was very meticulous and observant in what he was doing. He'd shadowbox in a mirror with the idea that from that he would know exactly what he looked like to his opponent. So he because of this meticulous training of his and the body awareness that came if it he knew exactly his opponent saw. He really was able to put to his advantage.

A mirror is great for a lot of reasons such as I just mentioned. This is a great reference tool especially if you're trying out something new, you can see the moves for yourself and that feedback will help you make the changes necessary and benificial to what you have in mind. You can practice anything, the various shifts, and moves. Work to have a reason behind what you're doing so that once your mind kicks into autopilot mode you'll be doing all the right moves for the right reasons. Same applies for all your training, whether it is the speedbag, heavybag or w/e. You can pit yourself against any imaginary opponent and play all their moves and tendencies in your mind, are they punching between your combinations, how are they jabbing, and upon studying your own shifts and sleights in front of a mirror and putting thought into it you maybe able to recognise them in your opponents and use that insight to your advantage.

Now if you want to set your opponent up you put yourself in situations that lead to those situations.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose for me it would depend who i am sparring and how well i know them
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    I have different styles I can use,but I try tailoring my use of them to the fighter
    Not an infighting outfighting situation
    Your setting yourself up to be faked out,your better being able to fight the complete style your in at the moment
    Now if I know a go likes to infight alot,or is taller then me,I might go to a Philly spread,but I also want to make sure I can fight it away if I have to if Im in that stance.
    I'll even change mid fight,but thats more to create confusion in my opponent rather then worrying about a specific,ok,we're in,Ill change to this,we're out,I'll change to that,back in,change again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When im on the inside i work pretty nicely with any sparring partner to be honest..

When the faster ones jump on me it really pays off to follow up with my shots and when i miss the strait right come back with the left hook or just step into him with a left hook as i take punches and more often then not i can land a big shot that way..Of course its not always the wisest decision..

Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    Even if you don't know them very well before hand you can learn a lot about them while you're fighting them. Pay attention of how they throw their jab, are they quick with it or do they commit with it any way. Notice how they react to your own punches, what are kind of blocks/parries do they use the most? How do they fight, on the inside, in a clinch, off the ropes? Are there flaws in there punches, do they need to get set for a punch, etc.Things like that are important to pay attention to, and a good opponent would do the same.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information