Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: In years to come which fighter will be seen as the greatest of this decade? Vote then add your reaso

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will be seen as the greatest fighter between 2001-2010

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who will be seen as the greatest fighter between 2001-2010

Come on guys i want some good reasons. Have i forgot anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who will be seen as the greatest fighter between 2001-2010

It's probably a bit premature, so correct me if I'm off base, but Pavlik could prove to be one of the best of this decade. He started in 2000, but I know it's really only his last 2 fights that he's starting to prove himself. Though by 2010, if he keeps doing what he's doing, I think he could be considered a great of this decade. So far I'd have to go with Floyd or Pac.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man I think Cotto may end up being the best of the decade. There are tons of good fighters around welterweight that he can compete with to build resume, hypothetically that is better than the others on the list.

I don't think that PBF can beat Cotto or the elite guys at 147 nor do I think he wants to. I dislike PBF and will not hide my bias. I think he cherry picks and will continue to do so (as evidenced by his fight with Hatton instead of Cotto).

Ricky Hatton can't fight effectively (ever) at 147 against real full fledged welterwieghts. Having said that, as good as Ricky is at 140, he could stay there and reign with a legacy similar to KT (although not with the longevity of KT).
    Calzaghe is old and only has 3 fights at the most remaining. Assuming he beats Kessler, he will have the best by far of any resume of those listed.
    Manny Pac is tied with Joe on achievements I believe, but Joe has reigned for a long time (which I wieght heavily). Pac Man can easily fight some more future greats to secure himself as the greatest, as Morales and Barrerra fights are nothign to pass over. It remains to be seen how good Pac-Man can continue being, however I think he could have a nice looking resume, esp with the match-making that has gone on to date. JMM is a question that Pac should prove, but doesn't equate business sense.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 2000s have been a long retirement party for the great fighters of the 90s. I dont think there is a real standout fighter yet that could be seen as the greatest. I guess you would have to say Mayweather or Pacquiao as of now but that could easily change.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While they may not all be appreciated…here are my picks…divisionally.

Heavyweight : Wlad Klitschko
    Cruiser : ?
    Light Heavyweight : Hopkins if he continues.
    Super Middleweight : Calzaghe & Kessler.
    Middleweight : Pavlik.
    Light Middleweight : Floyd or Martinez or Dzinziruk
    Welterweight : Floyd…where I think that he belongs. Cotto also…even if he loses.
    Light Welter : Hatton or Witter. Maybe Gavin Rees.
    Light weight : Juan Diaz or Katsidis…but Kats won’t last long with his style.
    Super Feather : Pacquiao first, Juan Manuel Marquez, & then Guzman.
    Featherweight : Linares. Really REALLY sold on this cat!!! Totally destroyed Larios in a big gotdam way!!!
    Super Bantam : Rafael Marquez.
    Bantam weight : Honestly…I aint sure bout this one. Maybe Penalosa.
    Super Flyweight : Cristian Mijares
    Flyweight : Honestly…nobody right now.
    Light Flyweight : Calderon of course…Solis after.
    Minimum weight : Now that Calderon is gone…I have no clue.

Hands down the people that I have the most hope in are Kessler, Pavlik, Linares, Cotto, Diaz, & Calderon.

Honeslty can't wait for 2008...& I really want to get past the Cotto Mosley bout...it's killin me!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right now I have to go with Jeremy Bates. Sure he has lost a few hotly disputed battles lately, but I feel he is on the verge of greatness!

On a more serious note, I think PBF has at least solidified his name in the short list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I forgot to add in my pick. I think if PBF beats Hatton and then another top WW guy he will have a resume that others will struggle to match. Maybe if Pac beats JMM and a good lightweight (Juan Diaz or Casamayor) he could be the man.
    So in line.
    PBF
    Pac
    Cotto (if he defeats Mosely)
    Also Joe C will be up there if he defeats Kessler and Hopkins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    I forgot to add in my pick. I think if PBF beats Hatton and then another top WW guy he will have a resume that others will struggle to match. Maybe if Pac beats JMM and a good lightweight (Juan Diaz or Casamayor) he could be the man.
    So in line.
    PBF
    Pac
    Cotto (if he defeats Mosely)
    Also Joe C will be up there if he defeats Kessler and Hopkins.
    Agreed...the thing is...I won't count Cotto, Kessler, or Calzaghe out...they can pick up the pieces & rule on after their losses. Theyr'e facing the BEST of the best & a loss to the best leaves them to rule after their opponent moves up in class.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rafael Marquez. I see him winning the rubber match with Vazquez than going on to beat Daniel De Leon and Celestino Caballero. Which will than be followed by moving up to Featherweight and winning a title there. He does that, than he'll be the greatest of the last 10 years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PBF
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Rafael Marquez. I see him winning the rubber match with Vazquez than going on to beat Daniel De Leon and Celestino Caballero. Which will than be followed by moving up to Featherweight and winning a title there. He does that, than he'll be the greatest of the last 10 years.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    PBF
    Yup.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    PBF
    Yup.
    If he does all of the above you can put an "S" on his chest and a cape around his neck.
    Alot of maybes but Marquez Is a testament to courage and Skills.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally there is one contender for this title that is head and shoulders above the rest, and that's Floyd Mayweather. 5-weight champion, has fought more former champions and champions who lost their straps to him, and I just feel that with a win over Hatton, and maybe one more against a big name, and Mayweather can retire an all-time great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good pick on Marquez. Who do u think would win out of him and Linares in say 2009?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather and Pacquiao are easily above everyone else.

Pacquiao for moving up in weight from 106lbs. to 130lbs. and somehow knocking everyone out along the way. Doesn't have the same boxing skill as Mayweather though. He was the most exciting figure in boxing in a time when boxing was just mundane at best. And beating Barrera and Morales twice who are arguably the greatest Mexican boxers of all time...

Mayweather also moved up the weightclasses and continued to dominate but doesn't posses the power Pacquiao does when he moved up in weight. He's just the perfect example of how not to get hit in a sport that focuses on hitting one another.

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in the pound-for-pound rankings remind me of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal at how they both remain at #1 and #2 in the world and are way in front of #3 in the rankings...

Thread Information