Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If you trained AJ..or Wilder?

They still both seem a tad green to me in certain areas..and this x2 fights a year for AJ will do him more harm than good.

He has the muscles, the looks and the country behind him...but the Charles Martin fight was awful and he should have had a much harder introduction into a world title.

I still think a fit, lean Fury would outbox him in the decision..probably.

If you were training AJ, what weaknesses in his game would you concentrate on?

Wilder is just wild.

A basketball physique looking player with serious power..still looks a bit unsteady on his feet.

Both the above are world champions and perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but I think they're both a few fights away from really finding themselves and stepping into their real primes.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: If you trained AJ..or Wilder?

Good question. From the start of their careers I'd have to say Wilder, I think he's got some crazy reach and if he was able to learn the Manny Steward style he'd be damn near unbeatable. Right now, AJ, he's more polished, he's got a better grasp on the basics, he just needs to tighten up the defense a bit more.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder is a grown, street thug-man. Joshua seems like a very good, strong athletic kid. The differences in their mentality is the key here. If pound for pound they are equal, give me Wilder because he understands the totality of the stakes. I just think AJ is one Hollywood Whore and a bad night at the Strip Club away from a humiliating defeat he need not have! jmo...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ is by far the superior technician, likeable and more likely long term champion. AJ will get better and fought the 2nd best active fighter on the planet.

Wilder needs to cash in and take on AJ before he gets even better or do a Adonis Stevenson and hide behind mandatories for as long as he is able to.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know the training is lacking for Wilder when camp lets a Charlie Z get beat down by him in his gym. And it's filmed. Huge difference I see between the two is professionalism and simple composure. Self awareness and genuine confidence in skills. Wilder sounds more confident in KO than he does his skill set, AJ confident all around. The crazy thing is that even to this day we have zero idea what Wilder does, can do, once he's cracked and forced to make adjustments. Hindsight 20-20 AJ has at least proven trainable in big picture.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder boxes really well against Stiverne but has since looked terrible. His power is legit but against someone he can't stop I see him falling apart. AJ is more well rounded. Needs to work on defending against the right hand but seems committed to improving.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A couple fights will make no difference for Wilder, he is what he is. If anything he gets more susceptible each fight because his hands get worse and worse. There’s a reason Wilder wants the AJ fight now and AJ wants it later.

Both have massive flaws but their strengths are overwhelming. So it’s not so much changing what you are but playing to your strengths. While they don’t fight similarly their strengths are largely similar. Stupid power, overwhelming size and athleticism. One’s more polished, one’s more scary. Polished wins more times than not, but when scary wins it’s spectacular.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know that Wlad was past his prime but the way that AJ approached that 11th round knowing that he had to KO Wlad was impressive.

AJ seems to have more potential to improve and is the A side on the negotiating table.

AJ is not as robotic like Bruno but would benefit from a bit of the Lennox Lewis jab in his game.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It doesn't matter who trains Wilder, he's a 30+ fight experienced former Olympian that hasn't changed in years. His team have done a good job keeping him unbeaten, but it's also the reason he's a nobody in America with no respect.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It doesn't matter who trains Wilder, he's a 30+ fight experienced former Olympian that hasn't changed in years. His team have done a good job keeping him unbeaten, but it's also the reason he's a nobody in America with no respect.
    ^^^
    This

And Wilder can't understand why he's not a draw.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would normally argue that Wilder, like all delusional fighters, doesn't see what everyone else sees. However, he wont even entertain facing Dillian Whyte for a career high payday.

Of all the plodder heavyweights out there Wilder defends his title against Molina? Szpilka? Duhaupas? Where did they get these guys from? Washington? All these guys became known in boxing because of Wilder and all got whupped straight after.

Wilder hasn't been matched to learn from experience he's been matched to keep his title (granted he would have faced Povetkin during this time)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would normally argue that Wilder, like all delusional fighters, doesn't see what everyone else sees. However, he wont even entertain facing Dillian Whyte for a career high payday.

Of all the plodder heavyweights out there Wilder defends his title against Molina? Szpilka? Duhaupas? Where did they get these guys from? Washington? All these guys became known in boxing because of Wilder and all got whupped straight after.

Wilder hasn't been matched to learn from experience he's been matched to keep his title (granted he would have faced Povetkin during this time)
    I find the ducking of Dillian whyte strange, that is a missed opportunity.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

I find the ducking of Dillian whyte strange, that is a missed opportunity.
    I believe Wilder is wanting that AJ fight to cash out. There's a strong possibility he'd lose to Whyte.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You all realize Wilder told Hearn to put what he says into the contract right? Hearn says fight Whyte for a shot at AJ, Wilder told him “put it in the contract and I’ll fight Whyte” the ball is in and has been in Hearns court.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    You all realize Wilder told Hearn to put what he says into the contract right? Hearn says fight Whyte for a shot at AJ, Wilder told him “put it in the contract and I’ll fight Whyte” the ball is in and has been in Hearns court.
    I agree, I think Wilder would beat Whyte and would not be carried to take that fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information