Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liam Neeson in racism storm after admitting he wanted to kill a black man

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Liam Neeson in racism storm after admitting he wanted to kill a black man

Actor Liam Neeson is facing a major racism storm after admitting he once set out to kill an innocent black man.

He said he walked the streets with a weapon for a week years ago, hoping to take out his anger after someone close to him was raped by a black man.

The Hollywood star said he was ashamed of his actions, but his remarks have sparked widespread outrage.

Neeson hasn't commented further since the interview was published by The Independent on Monday.

He was speaking to promote his new film Cold Pursuit, a thriller about a man who seeks retribution after his son is murdered.

'I'm not racist,' says Liam Neeson
    Asked how his character turns to anger, the actor replied that "something primal" kicks in when a someone close to you is the victim of violence.

He said: "God forbid you've ever had a member of your family hurt under criminal conditions. I'll tell you a story. This is true."

Neeson said the alleged rape took place a long time ago and he found out about it when he came back from a trip abroad. The actor went on to use racially offensive language about the attacker.

He said: "She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way.

"But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

Neeson has been subject to huge criticism for the comments.

The journalist who did the interview, Clémence Michallon, told BBC News: "Anyone hearing the thoughts that he's reporting here would be shocked and appalled in many ways, and he himself says he is ashamed to think of the way he used to think and says it's awful, so of course that shock set in really quickly."

In an accompanying article in The Independent , columnist Kuba Shand-Baptiste wrote: "What immediately struck me when reading about his revelation was how deeply the white supremacist trope of the 'black brute' versus the 'helpless woman' appears to have permeated society."

Los Angeles Times columnist Carla Hall wrote that his conduct was "despicable", adding that she now wants him to talk about whether he has dealt with "whatever racism he still harbours".

She wrote: "Was he a racist or just a tightly wound man capable of vindictive violence? Or was he both? Of course, he was a racist. He was roaming the streets trying to find a random black man to kill.

"And he gave every indication of being capable of violence. That's a pretty explosive combination. And his revelation about himself is deeply disturbing. The question is, how much has he changed since then?"

On Twitter, Frederick Joseph, who works for better representation in the media, wrote that Neeson's story "just shows how meaningless and inconsequential black lives are to some".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...-arts-47117177

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Liam Neeson in racism storm after admitting he wanted to kill a black man

Don't expect Neeson to starring in any future Spike Lee movies....

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Liam Neeson in racism storm after admitting he wanted to kill a black man

Attached Images
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Barnes.

Former footballer John Barnes has said Liam Neeson should be “applauded” for revealing he went out looking for a black man to kill in revenge for the rape of a friend.

The former Liverpool and England midfielder praised the Irish star for confronting an uncomfortable truth about his past in and exclusive interview with The Independent.

“Liam Neeson was talking about revenge, it doesn’t do anyone any good,” Barnes told Sky News.

“What he went onto say is that he was ashamed and horrified by what he felt. He’s not ashamed at wanting to commit the act of revenge. He’s ashamed and horrified because that is what he thought about all black people. After a week he realised he was wrong. That is what he said.”

The 55-year-old - who infamously faced continued racist taunts from opposition supporters during his career - suggested the context of Neeson's interview had been “spun”, and blamed the media for racist stereotyping.

He said: “You cannot blame him [Neeson] for thinking that [all black people are criminals]… because of the influence the media has.

"You cannot blame people for thinking that Muslims – because of Muslim grooming gangs, Jamaican yardie gangs – then people look at Jamaicans and Muslims in a negative light, and he is admitting that this is the way he viewed it.

“So for this one black person who raped this woman, he then looked at it as all black people are rapists.

"Now, what he’s actually saying is, ‘This is what I thought, this is what I saw, and I am ashamed and I am horrified, and after a week I thought to myself what am I doing?’

“And that is the reality of it. As much as people are now jumping on this bandwagon of how terrible it is, what he’s done is he’s come out and told the truth.

"He [Neeson] should be applauded for saying, 'Yes, I was an unconscious racist and after a week I realised I was'. And people are going to be afraid of admitting it now because of what's happened to Liam Neeson."

In the interview, Neeson said his immediate reaction to being told a friend had been assaulted was to ask “did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.”

The 66-year-old added: “"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

The admission prompted anger on social media, where Neeson – who was promoting his new film Cold Pursuit – was widely condemned.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainm...cid=spartanntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know what so many times I start typing out long ass posts on here and then just think "fuck it" I can't be arsed.

Does anyone have the power to resurrect Denilson just for this thread though, that'd be funny.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Neeson was asked and simply said how he felt at that moment in time , based on events which had happened, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

Who ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

40 years ago? He volunteered it and was honest about being a racist asinine young man prone to violence. More importantly admits the errors of his ways, regrets and pulled his head outta his arse now. If a man cant admit fault and change, we're in a bad spot. Plenty of current day clowns walking around who deserve the scrutiny.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

Who ?
    He's a funny guy.

Romesh ..that is.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who ?
    He's a funny guy.

Romesh ..that is.
    Yes but doesn't Neeson have a Very Special Set of Skills , which can be a nightmare for someone like him or you ?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who ?
    He's a funny guy.

Romesh ..that is.
    Yes but doesn't Neeson have a Very Special Set of Skills , which can be a nightmare for someone like him or you ?

Like him or me? Does he have a meat samosa masquerading as a savoury in a vegan buffet or a wheel clamp that can lock down caravans while he inserts pork scratching into bagels?

Anyway I think you may be mistaken

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who ?
    He's a funny guy.

Romesh ..that is.

Like him or me? Does he have a meat samosa masquerading as a savoury in a vegan buffet or a wheel clamp that can lock down caravans while he inserts pork scratching into bagels?

Beanz you Dunderhead , its a quote from the film TAKEN , Neeson says it to the Kidnapper.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who ?
    He's a funny guy.

Romesh ..that is.

Beanz you Dunderhead , its a quote from the film TAKEN , Neeson says it to the Kidnapper.
    Never seen it. The Romash tweet was very funny.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    40 years ago? He volunteered it and was honest about being a racist asinine young man prone to violence. More importantly admits the errors of his ways, regrets and pulled his head outta his arse now. If a man cant admit fault and change, we're in a bad spot. Plenty of current day clowns walking around who deserve the scrutiny.
    Nothing wrong with sharing his thoughts and feelings but I do not believe him when he claims he would have acted in the same way if his friend's assailant had been white.

I do not see him trying to go out and kill "an Irish, Scot, Brit or a Lithuanian".
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Nothing wrong with sharing his thoughts and feelings but I do not believe him when he claims he would have acted in the same way if his friend's assailant had been white.

I do not see him trying to go out and kill "an Irish, Scot, Brit or a Lithuanian".
    It is what it is , get over it.

Thread Information