Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The best boxing match to be made in 2020

The best boxing match to be made in every weight class this year, including Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Canelo Alvarez.

Boxing fans will be hoping 2020 proves fruitful for the sport after a mixed bag last year.

In 2019, very few of the sport’s biggest and best possible match-ups were made, however plenty of entertaining contests emerged from unexpected sources.

Naoya Inoue vs Nonito Donaire was predicted as a one-sided blowout, but instead proved to be Fight of the Year.

Thankfully, 2020 is off to a great start with the Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury cross-promotional rematch finally being confirmed.

But in many cases, promotional and broadcast disparities are at the heart of the issue, with multiple top boxers now signed/aligned exclusively to one side.

A prime example of this is in America with Eddie Hearn’s stable on DAZN, Al Haymon’s on FOX/Showtime and Bob Arum’s on ESPN.

The below list removes these irritating boundaries and simply names the best possible fight that could be made in each of boxing’s 17 weight classes at present.

Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury - Heavyweight (200lbs+)

With the Wilder vs Fury rematch already confirmed, the best fight that can possibly be made is for unified champion Joshua to challenge the winner. Given that most felt Fury won first time around, he’s the frontrunner as things stand. However, Wilder can change all that on February 22.

Mairis Briedis vs Yunier Dorticos - Cruiserweight (200lbs)

The World Boxing Super Series tournaments have been a godsend for boxing, but are not without their issues. Briedis vs Dorticos is set as the final of the latest cruiserweight competition but is yet to be officially confirmed and announced. Hopefully this will be resolved shortly.

Artur Beterbiev vs Dmitry Bivol - Light-Heavyweight (175lbs)

Last year was drastically different for these two light-heavyweight champions. Beterbiev knocked out Oleksandr Gvozdyk in a thriller to unify titles, while Bivol somewhat stagnated with unanimous decision defences. In order for the division to thrive in 2020, the two clear top dogs must face one another.

Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders - Super-Middleweight (168bs) Should be Callum Smith

It was tough to decide which division to place Canelo in, but he looks likely to have his next fight at super-middleweight. All of the four current champions are all still unproven to some extent – Saunders probably leads the pack with wins over Chris Eubank Jr, Andy Lee and David Lemieux. His elusive style would also provide an interesting challenge for Canelo.

Gennady Golovkin vs Jermall Charlo - Middleweight (160lbs)

With a Canelo trilogy continuing to elude him, GGG must look elsewhere for notable clashes in the latter stages of his career. Fellow champion Charlo fits the bill perfectly as the hard-hitting American desperately needs a big fight.

Julian Williams vs Jermell Charlo - Super-Welterweight (154lbs)

The ever-changing super-welterweight landscape now has two clear top dogs who both enjoyed fantastic 2019s. Williams dethroned Jarrett Hurd while Charlo dramatically regained his title from Tony Harrison. A three-belt unification would be a fantastic fight to make this year.

Errol Spence vs Terence Crawford - Welterweight (147lbs)

A match-up between unified welterweight king Spence and three-weight world champion Crawford is one of the best that can be made in the entire sport. Both are in the pound-for-pound top ten and both hold titles at 147lbs. A potential all-American clash for the ages.

Josh Taylor vs Jose Ramirez - Super-Lightweight (140lbs)

Taylor and Ramirez sit in a rare position where they are both unified champions in the same division. The exciting super-lightweights have two belts each and must meet to establish an undisputed champion.

Vasyl Lomachenko vs Gervonta Davis - Lightweight (135lbs)

The lightweight division has a thriving crop of young US fighters preparing themselves to challenge the current unified king Lomachenko. 22-year-olds Teofimo Lopez and Devin Haney will both be worthy challengers for Loma, but 25-year-old Gervonta might provide the toughest test at present.

Leo Santa Cruz vs Miguel Berchelt - Super-Featherweight (130lbs)

Santa Cruz is now a four-weight world champion, but has never had a unification bout. Fellow all-action Mexican warrior Berchelt would provide the perfect challenge for him in 2020. Both men are in their primes and in need of career-defining fights.

Gary Russell Jr vs Josh Warrington - Featherweight (126lbs)

Russell Jr’s title reign has generally consisted of him just fighting once per year against an overmatched opponent. In an ideal world he would be thrust into a clash with unification-seeking Warrington, who is rarely in a dull contest.

Daniel Roman vs Emanuel Navarrete - Super-Bantamweight (122lbs)

Navarrete burst onto the world stage with five title bouts in the space of a year from December 2018-December 2019, during which time Roman unified belts. The pair are now both dominant forces at 122lbs and a meeting between them would undoubtedly deliver fireworks.

Naoya Inoue vs John Riel Casimero - Bantamweight (118lbs)

Japanese star Inoue has taken yet another division by storm as he conquered the bantamweight World Boxing Super Series tournament last year. The 26-year-old now holds two of the four world titles and is hunting down the others, with newly crowned Casimero in his sights.

Juan Francisco Estrada vs Jerwin Ancajas - Super-Flyweight (115lbs)

Ancajas often excites with his performances dominating his challengers, but is badly in need of a notable contest. Fellow champion Estrada rejuvenated himself with revenge victory over Srisaket Sor Rungvisai last year and currently sits atop the super-flyweight tree.

Kosei Tanaka vs Julio Cesar Martinez - Flyweight (112lbs)

Martinez grasped his place on the world stage last year as a sequence of explosive fights with Andrew Selby, Charlie Edwards and Cristofer Rosales left him as champion. Tanaka stands as an already established three-weight belt-holder and current flyweight king.

Kenshiro Teraji vs Hiroto Kyoguchi - Light-Flyweight (108lbs)

Teraji and Kyoguchi are two more of Japan’s rising stars from the smaller weight classes. The former has put together a nice run of wins, although the latter is a two-weight champion.

Wanheng Menayothin vs Knockout CP Freshmart - Minimumweight (105lbs)

The champion with the best numerical record in all of boxing is Thailand’s 54-0 Wanheng. The 33-year-old brought attention to a much-ignored division in 2018 as he topped Floyd Mayweather’s famous 50-0 slate. He’s held his belt for four years, but is yet to unify – step forward fellow Thai Freshmart.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...n-fury-canelo/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The best boxing match to be made in 2020

Be very interesting to look back in 12 months to see how many of those fights actually get made.
    As for the Supermiddleweights,
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 01-05-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with some. At super middleweight I would rather Canelo fight Benavidez probably. I wouldn’t mind a BJS fight if he comes in prepared.

At lightweight Loma is the best but I would love a fight between Haney/Lopez/Davis in any combination. I think after both performances, I’m more interested in Lopez fighting Loma instead of Davis.

I agree with super featherweight, but it’s unfortunate that some of these fighters have moved up to lightweight instead of fighting Berchelt. Santa Cruz is too small for Berchelt I think.

Bantamweight I would much rather have Inoue against Nery. If Nery moves up, I would pick Oubalii.

And if Nery did move up, a fight against him and Navarrete would be nice.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought you had written that post at first Master. I was impressed.

You are the best cut and paster of all time maybe.

Anyway at leat two fights between the top 3 heavies for me. I don’t have a problem with AJ v Usyk either.

To be honest I’m not much up on other weight divisions these days - my forever dwindling knowledge of the sport....

Another match up I’d like to see is EA announce another Fight Night game....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Estrada vs. Ioka is the best fight for 115 Ibs

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I thought you had written that post at first Master. I was impressed.

You are the best cut and paster of all time maybe.

Anyway at leat two fights between the top 3 heavies for me. I don’t have a problem with AJ v Usyk either.

To be honest I’m not much up on other weight divisions these days - my forever dwindling knowledge of the sport....

Another match up I’d like to see is EA announce another Fight Night game....
    Unfortunate because heavyweight is about the worst division in boxing and has been for more than a decade. It’s just unfortunate that casuals love that weight so much. There are so many better fighters at lower weights and better fights.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guess that’s what I am these days - a casual fan.

Knew them all 20 years ago.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Terence Crawford urges ‘dumb’ Errol Spence to quit making ‘weak excuses’ and face him in super fight

Terence Crawford has snapped at welterweight rival Errol Spence and urged him to quit making “weak excuses” and face him in a super fight to unify their world titles.

The Americans are considered the two best fighters in the world at 147 pounds but there is no imminent sign of the pair meeting in the ring to prove who is the best.

Promotional divisions have caused issues in making the fight, with Crawford represented by Bob Arum’s Top Rank and Spence part of the PBC brand and associated with Al Haymon.

Spence, who escaped mostly unscathed from a serious, high-speed car crash at the end of last year, laughed off recent suggestions from Arum that he will not return to the ring soon (despite the fighter declaring as much before Christmas on Fox) - adding that he does not “duck” anybody.

But an uncharacteristically enraged Crawford hit out at his “dumb” rival, vowing to knock him out and make him cry.

“Keep defending him (Spence) because I’m tell all y’all now and I mean what I say, when that day comes when I knock him [out], all I want is all of y’all to keep that same energy because he is going to cry in the car,” Crawford said.

“He wasn’t built for this s***, I got over here just watch me show the world.

“And stop using the f***ing promoters, managers and advisors for that weak a** excuse you’re all doing. They work for us.

“You’re all dumb mf. If you really want a fight, you tell them. I don’t give two f****. That’s who I want to fight. Let your nuts drop. You say you your own boss Errol Spence Jr.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ter...115200241.html

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m glad that Crawford is being active in calling out Spence now. This is what I said he had to start doing or else I was going to stop giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he understands that he is on the wrong side of the street and has to start making some real noise.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jay Harris: Welsh flyweight gets first world shot against Julio Cesar Martinez

Julio Cesar Martinez will make the first defence of his WBC Flyweight title against Welshman Jay Harris on 29 February in Frisco, Texas, USA.

Swansea's Harris, 29, took his record to 17-0 by beating Paddy Barnes for the IBF Inter-Continental Flyweight title in his last outing in October.

Harris, who has also won the European and Commonwealth belts, now gets his first tilt at a world crown.

Martinez (15-1) stopped Cristofer Rosales to claim his title in December.

The 24-year-old Mexican's ninth-round win was the first time that Rosales had been stopped in his professional career.

The Martinez-Harris bout will take place on the Mikey Garcia versus Jessie Vargas undercard at The Star.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50987290

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I already said in another thread that Jaron Ennis/ Vergil Ortiz is the fight to make at 147.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

moruti mthalane v kosei tanaka at fly
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearn expects Canelo v Golovkin III to happen in 2020

They have already shared 24 rounds together over two bouts, but the rivalry between Mexican superstar Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Kazakhstan's Gennady Golovkin is still going strong.

Most observers had Golovkin winning their first clash in September 2017, only for it to be scored a draw. The much anticipated rematch, also a close affair, was won by Canelo a year later.

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn says there is a "clear strategy" for a third fight to take place in September.

"I just feel like you're going to see that fight in 2020," Hearn told the SI Boxing with Chris Mannix podcast.

But most fight fans are not too bothered about seeing it again…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50999876

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Hearn expects Canelo v Golovkin III to happen in 2020

They have already shared 24 rounds together over two bouts, but the rivalry between Mexican superstar Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Kazakhstan's Gennady Golovkin is still going strong.

Most observers had Golovkin winning their first clash in September 2017, only for it to be scored a draw. The much anticipated rematch, also a close affair, was won by Canelo a year later.

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn says there is a "clear strategy" for a third fight to take place in September.

"I just feel like you're going to see that fight in 2020," Hearn told the SI Boxing with Chris Mannix podcast.

But most fight fans are not too bothered about seeing it again…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50999876
    Canelo is such a wuss. Feel like you can make a bet it will be at a CW and come out a winner. Can see Golovkin having his farewell tour this year.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd Alvarez/ Golovkin fight. The 2nd fight was fantastic, Golovkin/ Derevyanchenko was fantastic, there is potential for a 3rd fight to also follow suit. I feel Alvarez will make Golovkin move up to 168 if he wants the fight.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information