Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Verdejo's coming out party

Last night IMO Verdejo/Najera outdid Walter's performance, and Verdejo looked spectacular in easily beating a tough undefeated prospect, showed power, punch variety, and boxing skills. The kid is the future of the lightweight division and higher.

And on a side note, Jose Pedraza won the IBF Super Featherweight title, by completely dominating Andrey Klimov for 12 lopsided rounds, looking equally impressive

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Verdejo's coming out party

Amen, brother.

About the only negative things to come out of the fight was the fact that Verdejo's left hand was hurt. They mentioned he'll be having surgery and shouldn't be out of action for too long. I certainly hope he doesn't have the dreaded brittle hands syndrome. It could derail what is sure to be a super stellar career.

Pedraza was impressive also. In the fight thread people were beginning to get impatient because Pedraza wasn't going for the knockout.... but they're overlooking the fact that Klimov is a tough, durable opponent who had never been down, much less stopped. Pedraza hit him with everything but the kitchen sink. Matter of fact, the commentators remarked how Pedraza did more damage to Klimov than Crawford did.... and that's saying a lot.

All I know is I'm happy having another world champion for our little island.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought he stole the show. Fights way beyond his years. It may be a little cliche but he reminded me very much of the earlier 147 Tito. The fact that he had an injured hand prior to the fight, aggravated it and still caught Najera to drop him twice with it shows a ton of heart. I thought his D was pretty sound also although Najera did find a home for the right hand a few times. Thats boxing. Everybody gets hit. The way he came back from a nice shot to deliver the same or worse was very Titoesque also. Great punch selection also and accurate like Gonzalez.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Verdejo looks better and better every time I see him. I think he could win titles at a few weightclasses. Definitely the future of Puerto Rico.

Pedraza looked like he could do more. Opponent is tough and durable, but he was done and Pedraza had opportunities and didn't take them. @TitoFan I accept the skill is there, but when a fighter can do more I'm not gunna be appreciative of coasting when his opponent is done.

Side note @ElTerribleMorales, you can't name a thread that after Orlando Cruz

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Verdejo looks better and better every time I see him. I think he could win titles at a few weightclasses. Definitely the future of Puerto Rico.

Pedraza looked like he could do more. Opponent is tough and durable, but he was done and Pedraza had opportunities and didn't take them. @TitoFan I accept the skill is there, but when a fighter can do more I'm not gunna be appreciative of coasting when his opponent is done.

point taken lol

but in Pedraza's defense IMO he looked more impressive against Klimov than Crawford even was, and I was at that fight, it was on the undercard of Cotto/Rodriguez

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post

point taken lol

but in Pedraza's defense IMO he looked more impressive against Klimov than Crawford even was, and I was at that fight, it was on the undercard of Cotto/Rodriguez
    Klimov looked weight drained at 130. He looked very weak. I'm reserving judgement before getting excited about him.

Thread Information