Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Master's Tournament

Hello, I've been working out for a year now. I have a really good trainer who has been teaching the sport well.

I'm in my mid 30's and can't fight amateur anymore. However, I'm really enjoying the sport and am sparring with the youngsters. They've been a lot of fun and I've held my own against kids who have anywhere from 5 to 20 amateur fights.

My trainer teaches very good defense (catch and shoot) to combat any style that comes after me.

What I was wondering is are there any masters tournaments in Texas and are these guys gym rats that just want to pound on people or are they really classed properly?

I have a feeling if I get in there I might do very well.

I weight 195lbs and am 6 ft tall. However, I think my weight should be around 185 to 180. I have big shoulders so it might be tough to get down further.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Master's Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by brptrojan View Post
    Hello, I've been working out for a year now. I have a really good trainer who has been teaching the sport well.

I'm in my mid 30's and can't fight amateur anymore. However, I'm really enjoying the sport and am sparring with the youngsters. They've been a lot of fun and I've held my own against kids who have anywhere from 5 to 20 amateur fights.

My trainer teaches very good defense (catch and shoot) to combat any style that comes after me.

What I was wondering is are there any masters tournaments in Texas and are these guys gym rats that just want to pound on people or are they really classed properly?

I have a feeling if I get in there I might do very well.

I weight 195lbs and am 6 ft tall. However, I think my weight should be around 185 to 180. I have big shoulders so it might be tough to get down further.

Thoughts?
    I'm in your exact situation. Your best bet to try competing might be "smokers" if your gym ever hold them or going to other gyms. They are basically exhibitions, but you throw for real. I know there is a tournament in the summer with Masters. I think it's in Kansas City. In Massachusetts, the starts around the beginning of the year and they have a masters division hear, so I bet they have one in Texas. Your trainer is really the best person to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ringside is your best bet of actually getting a match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not go pro?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because I don't have a single amateur fight and that seems stupid to jump right in the pros.

Besides, I'm in sales and I can't have a busted up face for 3 weeks due to not having any head gear.

I will tell you, going pro IS a joke. Some of them don't even know footwork. They definitely don't know defense and some jump into fights with 2 weeks notice and have 2 to 3 month layoffs. I don't call that a professional.

I work out in a gym where we have world champions and I see their commitment and the fighters that don't. They should have perameters for people who are pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    That's the one in the summer that I was talking about, I think. I looked into it last year, but I couldn't go.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post
    That's the one in the summer that I was talking about, I think. I looked into it last year, but I couldn't go.
    Ringside World. Hoping I can get there too this year if money permits or if can hitch a ride with a club that is going. Lots and lots of matches there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is that for the old guys like me?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sourpuss knows it well, so if she says it has masters in Kansas City, then it is so.

I like Rozzy's thoughts on getting in some exhibitions too. Sounds like a good way to get some ring experiece. I know of a guy around here, a past coach, who had done it well into his 50's. He'd like to fight a santioned card and tried on our last show, and thing is I know he'd do well, but was too much age diff. and doctors wouldn't allow it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Sourpuss knows it well, so if she says it has masters in Kansas City, then it is so.

I like Rozzy's thoughts on getting in some exhibitions too. Sounds like a good way to get some ring experiece. I know of a guy around here, a past coach, who had done it well into his 50's. He'd like to fight a santioned card and tried on our last show, and thing is I know he'd do well, but was too much age diff. and doctors wouldn't allow it.
    Thanks Youngblood! I have a unique style that's been presented to me that I'm really enjoying. The guy helping me learned from an olympic coach in Fort Hood, TX and he has taught me to catch punches without having to move my head much. I've gotten to the point where I'm almost playing defense the whole time because I can just catch the punches and fire back shots while staying balanced. Holyfield used to use that technique earlier in his career(from what I remember).

This style seems to confuse the heaving offensive guys and allows me to catch, shoot and then pivot out to resent. I'm loving it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't do exhibitions here in the states. I swear USA Boxing is secretly trying to kill boxing. We're not even allowed to go to an event and spar in the ring with someone from another club before the show starts. It's like they don't want anyone but their little club of favorites to get any experience. **sorry, rant over**

Ringside, in Kansas City is your best bet. They have a master's division within the tournament. If you are of average weight and age you're almost guaranteed a bout. Here is a link to their fact sheet:

Ringside.com

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't do exhibitions here in the states. I swear USA Boxing is secretly trying to kill boxing. We're not even allowed to go to an event and spar in the ring with someone from another club before the show starts. It's like they don't want anyone but their little club of favorites to get any experience. **sorry, rant over**

Ringside, in Kansas City is your best bet. They have a master's division within the tournament. If you are of average weight and age you're almost guaranteed a bout. Here is a link to their fact sheet:

Ringside.com
    Really? We have done a fair number of them here. Ours are In House fights tho, so maybe that is the difference? I have seen lots of people doing it in the states too, both interclub spars (which I consider exhibition) and smokers. So are they doing them against the rules of USA amateur boxing?

*edit: come to think of it, we have exhibitions on carded shows all the time, often when someone can't make weight or whatever but they still want a match.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 03-10-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ringside.com
    Well who says USA boxing has to know about the exhibition? Especially if your gym is associated with a MMA or Kickboxing gym that has gym wars or exhibitions and some of those gyms also have conventional boxers? Not that I've ever heard of things like that happening...

Speaking of Ringside...can you go if your gym isn't a "USA Boxing" affiliated gym? What if you can make the trip but your coach can't? Can you register as an individual? Is it possible to link up with a corner down there or would I have to find a coach who is going and ask (perhaps pay) them to work my corner and/or have you fight with there team?

The website isn't clear and it seems that it's set up for gyms with links to USA boxing to come as a team, but I could be wrong. I would love to go, but there is no way my coach is making the trip. Maybe he knows people in another gym that are, but I don't know how it works. From what I've heard, I won't have trouble as a Masters 35-50 LHW getting a match at ringside. It might be harder at the local GG next winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can go as an individual but I wouldn't recommend it. It's complete chaos there. If you can find a gym that is going and hopefully has gone in the past, it would really help. You need to tag along with someone who knows the ropes there or you'll be completely overwhelmed.

Thread Information