Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Post-Cancer & boxing

Hey All,

Was wondering if any one has personal experience with Testicular Cancer, or any type of Cancer and getting back into boxing.

Have to avoid gyms because of a weakened immune system, but a 1/2 hour to 1 hr of exercise is recommended.

Been watching youtube videos on footwork, shadow-boxing, etc.

I'm 6'4" 170lbs w/orthodox stance...what pro boxers would be best to emulate? W/O being in a gym I don't want to develop bad habits, so I spend a lot of time in the mirror...sometimes I find myself zoning out tho and not being able to picture an opponent in front of me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...especially what boxers are similar to my body style.

Hope my fellow Yanks have a happy and safe 4th of July God Bless

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Post-Cancer & boxing

Back in 2008, a doctor thought I had testicular cancer. I was fortunate, and it was 'only' a rupture that had become infected, necessitating the removal of my left testicle. I'm 6'3" and while I now weigh 188, I weighed from 155-170, way back when...
    A guy named Edwin L Haislet wrote a book on how to box years ago...It is the best instruction of how to box that I am aware of, and my understanding is that there are places on-line where it can be down-loaded for free. That would be something to look into, and to practice from. If you follow it, you won't get bad habits, and you'll find it so easy, because he is right.
    A guy with a similar body style would be Bob Foster, 6'3" and his best weight was 171-173, a dominant light heavy, one of the very best, and a devastating puncher. Maybe sandy Saddler, Tommy Hearns, Little Red Lopez. They were all tall thin guys, as well.
    When you are in front of the mirror, imagine fighting yourself. Where would you hit that guy? The mirror is where you get yourself tight. Then step away from the mirror and fight a guy that you make up, that is trying to exploit the weaknesses that you saw in the reflection.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Slightly off topic but Bruce Lee only had one.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ginseng will boost your immune system and Raw Manuka honey will back it up.
    They are natural so easily absorbed by your system as opposed to man made stuff that claims the same but never delivers,also they still have life force energy in them because they havent been heated. Same goes for spirilina or barley grass which are all air dried so they boost your natural energy in the way nature intended and the benefits remain in you longer and aren't passed through fast like some man made vitamins which are a waste of cash. You need to avoid processed shit as much as possible. Fresh raw organic vegetables cut by you and juiced by you will have many benefits as well. As would a small hand full of pumkin seeds and sunflower seeds each day or so which both help fight off prostate cancer via their high zinc and other natural vitamin sources they have. Also when you eat an apple make certain you eat the seeds and chew them up. They are bitter and a nice measured dose of another kind of cancer fighting agent as they are a poison.

Raw Manuka Honey | Raw Active Manuka Honey | Manuka Honey Active | Organic Manuka Honey | Manuka Raw Honey
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Slightly off topic but Bruce Lee only had one.

so did hitler
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find my biggest hurdles are that with a long torso, I am very susceptible to body shots. They were always my nemesis the few times I did spar. I rotate me palms in just a bit, to tuck in the elbows.

With left hooks and such how does one properly protect the organs? Also, with my height what defensive skills should I focus on? Seems like slipping and parries obvious, but how many ppl at my height could I potentially meet that would need me to weave and roll under shots? I still practice regardless...but my previous coach always yelled at me to work my jab, keep em at a distance, and stand tall

I love the 1-2-roll-2 & 1-2-3-roll-3-2

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's right, at 6 4 at 170 your jab is your best defence... Keep changing angles and keep busy with the jab, doubles, triples, even if its not landing it'll keep guys busy and give them fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wanted to thank you all for your support and posts.

Unfortunatley my 1st four rounds of Chemo got my tumor marker almost to a normal range, but now the course of action is a autlogus bone marrow transplant + more aggressive Chemo. I'll be in the hospital 3 weeks, home a while, then back in the hospital another 3 weeks

Sucks, I was getting back into better health. Was at the gym again and had a renewed vigor for boxing...for life in general. Now, I feel like my opponent is one I can't even see, so how do I fight it?

The tests, the pain, the exhaustion, the depression. Sometimes I just want to say fuck it and let it be what it's gonna be. The thought of not having kids of me own one day to teach to box. To love nature, be a good person.

I'm at my wit's end mates. I feel like the fight has been sucked out of me through the longest rounds of my life, that never give much time for rest.

Where can I find me inspiration. To fight. To not surrender to this blood thirsty disease that takes us all before we are ready. The prime of my life, and that's what I'm fighting for.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Focus on the future and your loved ones. Life is always worth fighting for. There are no magic words I can offer but none the less I wish you well. Many people beat this terrible disease and overcome great adversity so it can be done. This morning I played with my grandson, 21 years ago his Nan gave birth to his mother whilst in an intensive brain injury unit at a local hospital. All the doctors said the baby and My Mrs would not survive and yet they did and that is why I call my grandson the magic boy. Hopefully you can draw some inspiration from this and I am sure everyone at Saddos is right behind you mate. Good Luck and keep us updated.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkinny87 View Post
    Hey All,

Was wondering if any one has personal experience with Testicular Cancer, or any type of Cancer and getting back into boxing.

Have to avoid gyms because of a weakened immune system, but a 1/2 hour to 1 hr of exercise is recommended.

Been watching youtube videos on footwork, shadow-boxing, etc.

I'm 6'4" 170lbs w/orthodox stance...what pro boxers would be best to emulate? W/O being in a gym I don't want to develop bad habits, so I spend a lot of time in the mirror...sometimes I find myself zoning out tho and not being able to picture an opponent in front of me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...especially what boxers are similar to my body style.

Hope my fellow Yanks have a happy and safe 4th of July God Bless
    You are a hero, pal!
    With such power of will why not?

I guess you can shadowbox, learn the technique, no problem.
    I knew a guy with diabetes, who box quite seriously (amateurs)

Thread Information