Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jr. Welters- 1980 vs. 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Monroe Brooks and Bruce Curry did not like one another and they had a war at the Olympic Auditorium.
    Who won?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    1)Pryor was a hell of a fighter, you cantell by how many things he does wrong(nearly everything) but he gets away with because he was so damn good.

2)anyone that believes Ray Leonard was afraid of Pryor should have supervision for their protection because they are not fit.
    Have supervision for protection? Against whom, for what? That sounds kinda weird. Ray Leonard was a fighter for sure, but he is the epitome of a cherry picker's idol.

Ray's 1st defense not a calcuated decision? Cherry Picking? Just as it was mentioned with Arguello whose best fights were LW & below. So, too was Duran. A LW for 10 years @ 5'7 with a 66 inch reach-. Please let's do to Ray what we do with today's fighters like Mayweather & crew. Per boxrec: Duran beats Willington Wheatley who is 7-2-1 to get a shot @ Ray? (a fighter moving up from LW).

Now I understand that it was Dundee who stated; let Ray vs Hitman build for a year. NP. After saving himself from a decision loss by superb brawling- it would take him 8 years b4 giving Hearns the much deserved rematch. Does that mean he was afraid? Not really.

But he goes on to fight Bruce Finch- a guy that Cosell called a (club fighter fighting nobodies) seconds later Ray drops Finch. "An (A) class fighter vs a club fighter- a terrible mismatch." Was Cosell not telling the truth?
    Leonard's purse was $1.3 million, while Finch got $85,000. [had to look this up]

Does that sound like a fighter whose worthy of a title shot? Not even ranked top3? He cant get 100K for fighting for a belt? 10x less than the champ? Ray retires at end of year- claim: retina-

Yet he comes back 1 year later to fight Howard who had lossed 2 of his last 4 fights. Decks Ray in the 4th with a counter right & doesnt get decked- as Merchant stated " Yes he was hurt, but he was upright, the fight was stopped prematurely." Does it mean Ray took Howard because he was afraid? Wrong word- to me he took it on because was looking for fighters he felt he could beat with relative ease.
    Most of the crowd couldnt sit down because they bood their asses off to the stoppage Ray got against Howard. No booties to hit chair- cause they booed their buttocks off.

So Ray retires-*again* Doesn't contemplate boxing until he & actor Michael J Fox are at the Haglar vs Mugabi fight. There Ray said- He saw a (chink) in Haglar's armour- for that reason- he comes back to fight. Not that he was medically proven capable. He didnt see any chinks in Hearns- so no 2nd fight for 8 years..
    Meanwhile Pryor defeats legends Antonio Cervantes, Alexis Arguello, Sang Hyun Kim. Undefeated Aki Kameda, Dujan Johnson. Yet Ray claims he couldn't fight Pryor because he was unemployed? Couldnt fight hearns in a rematch...for 8 years? But he could fight Donny Lalonde?

here is a quote from Ray about not fighting Pryor:
    “That’s a good question,” said Leonard. “I wouldn’t say that I lost anything other than time. I lost the time to have fought an Aaron Pryor, or some of the other guys who were around. Every once in a while I’ll hear someone say I dodged this guy or that guy.

“I didn’t dodge anyone – I was unemployed.”

Unemployed.

Ray was charasmatic, underated power, sturdy chin, but he was a cherry pickin' mofo. Unretired when he felt he could exploit Terry Norris' chin- he got outboxed, then got his ass whooped-for 12 rounds. Oh, he could fight a short fat Duran again & again & again. Or a Camacho who started @ Super feather- boy was that embarrassing to watch. Ray didnt take on Camacho because Macho was the baddest mofo when they met- he took a calculated risk. The term we use today for that is called: cherry picker.

El Kabong Guest

Aaron Pryor was a cheat....he had good old Panama Lewis in his corner

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Yeah. He made sure Panama would say "Gimme that bottle, the one that I mixed." Yup All Pryor!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Monroe Brooks and Bruce Curry did not like one another and they had a war at the Olympic Auditorium.
    Who won?
    Gonna watch this later.... @greynotsoold

Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roberto no mas Duran had old Panama too.

I guess he was a cheater as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Yeah. He made sure Panama would say "Gimme that bottle, the one that I mixed." Yup All Pryor!
    did he have the bottle in the rematch??

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by corvette View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    did he have the bottle in the rematch??
    Ask the person who made the allegation, not the one who responded to the allegation.

Thread Information