Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Darnell Boone-Why has this journeyman been so troublesome for top guys?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Darnell Boone-Why has this journeyman been so troublesome for top guys?

Darnell Boone - Boxer

Darnell Boone: “I can beat any of the top ten ranked fighters” - Doghouse Boxing News Report

He dropped Andre Ward.

He stopped Adonis Stevenson. (Who recently rematched and TKO'd him)

He lost a split decision to Sergey Kovalev (who later rematched n TKO'd him)

What is it about this 19-21 fighter that has caused rising stars and future champions so many problems?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Darnell Boone-Why has this journeyman been so troublesome for top guys?

That is a great question both specific in the case posed and in general. I do not recall it ever being asked in my years of wandering around forums. It cant just be a case of being taken lightly can it? Perhaps its a mixture of being taken lightly and the journeyman being totally amped to over achieve.
    There was a time when McCall was considered a journeyman. Fine line I suppose between Jman and gatekeeper. Ward also gave better fighters then him fits as did that Augustus character. They kind of represent the school of hard knocks and one wonders how many champions they actually made. The Moyer brothers are two more examples from earlier times.

Again interesting question.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Darnell Boone-Why has this journeyman been so troublesome for top guys?

It could be a number of things.

He may be an underdog fighter, and steps up and gives more when the spotlights on him.
    He may have just been underestimated by his opponents.

Either was he's definitely what I would call a good journeyman.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They probably take him for granted upon viewing his record. With only 9 KO wins in 18 wins, they assume he can't punch and with his shitty record, they assume he can't box a lick.

I agree with poster above, he's the definition of a solid journeyman.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    That is a great question both specific in the case posed and in general. I do not recall it ever being asked in my years of wandering around forums. It cant just be a case of being taken lightly can it? Perhaps its a mixture of being taken lightly and the journeyman being totally amped to over achieve.
    There was a time when McCall was considered a journeyman. Fine line I suppose between Jman and gatekeeper. Ward also gave better fighters then him fits as did that Augustus character. They kind of represent the school of hard knocks and one wonders how many champions they actually made. The Moyer brothers are two more examples from earlier times.

The sad thing is I figure that if Boone had been carefully managed and matched as many of the prospects hes' fought then HE may have won a world title or at least become a true contender.

I am very confident that Emmanuel Augustus had the talent to be a World Titlist if not champion.

I suspect Boone has a good deal of talent as well.

Instead these two went a different route with far less pay and less glory. Taking fights on short notice and not training properly is a recipe for journeymanville.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

The sad thing is I figure that if Boone had been carefully managed and matched as many of the prospects hes' fought then HE may have won a world title or at least become a true contender.

I am very confident that Emmanuel Augustus had the talent to be a World Titlist if not champion.

I suspect Boone has a good deal of talent as well.

Instead these two went a different route with far less pay and less glory. Taking fights on short notice and not training properly is a recipe for journeymanville.
    Bold = Aint that the truth.

Just look at Vanes. He's another guy who beat Boone in a sixer and has found himself in a cash pot seemingly eternal contender position by being handled precisely the way you pointed out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guys like him are the foundation of the sport of Boxing...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh Boone is cut from the have gun will travel cloth, another in a long history who are pretty much foundation of the sport. Hard plugger who has pulled a couple of surprises with visibility and grabs oppurtunity when the phone rings as a result. Damn the short notice, short pay and the shine coming off the 'rising next star' in the opposite corner. There are guys who answer calls just to pay the rent, learn to except the role.. and then there are those who still swing for that new house, Boone comes across as the second for sure.

Thread Information