86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Wards use of the head

1 I have a lot of respect for ward
    2 I thought he nicked it against kov

Does he need to be stopped from using the head as he does?

IMO it is excessive, he leads with it and then every single clinch he is pushing it into his opponents face, I personally think he could have had a point or two taken off on Saturday
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wards use of the head

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    1 I have a lot of respect for ward
    2 I thought he nicked it against kov

Does he need to be stopped from using the head as he does?

IMO it is excessive, he leads with it and then every single clinch he is pushing it into his opponents face, I personally think he could have had a point or two taken off on Saturday
    Here are the Marquess of Queensberry Rules:

To be a fair stand-up boxing match in a 24-foot ring, or as near that size as practicable.
    No wrestling or hugging allowed.
    The rounds to be of three minutes' duration, and one minute's time between rounds.
    If either man falls through weakness or otherwise, he must get up unassisted, 10 seconds to be allowed him to do so, the other man meanwhile to return to his corner, and when the fallen man is on his legs the round is to be resumed and continued until the three minutes have expired. If one man fails to come to the scratch in the 10 seconds allowed, it shall be in the power of the referee to give his award in favour of the other man.
    A man hanging on the ropes in a helpless state, with his toes off the ground, shall be considered down.
    No seconds or any other person to be allowed in the ring during the rounds.
    Should the contest be stopped by any unavoidable interference, the referee to name the time and place as soon as possible for finishing the contest; so that the match must be won and lost, unless the backers of both men agree to draw the stakes.
    The gloves to be fair-sized boxing gloves of the best quality and new.
    Should a glove burst, or come off, it must be replaced to the referee's satisfaction.
    A man on one knee is considered down and if struck is entitled to the stakes.
    That no shoes or boots with spikes or sprigs be allowed.
    The contest in all other respects to be governed by revised London Prize Ring Rules.

Other rules:

Boxers are prohibited from hitting below the belt, holding, tripping, pushing, biting, spitting on or wrestling their opponent. Boxers typically wear shorts or trunks with the waistband raised so the opponent is not allowed to strike the groin area. They also are prohibited from kicking,head-butting, or striking with any part of the arm other than the knuckles of a closed fist. They are prohibited as well from hitting the back, the back of the head/neck (commonly called a “rabbit-punch”), or the kidneys. They are prohibited from holding the ropes for support when punching, holding an opponent while punching, or ducking below the level of the opponent's belt. If a “clinch” – a defensive move in which a fighter wraps his/her arms around those of the opponent and holds on to create a pause – is broken by the referee, each fighter must take a full step back before punching again. Alternatively, the referee may direct the fighters to “punch out” of the clinch. When a boxer is knocked down, the other boxer must immediately cease fighting and move to the furthest neutral corner of the ring until the referee has either ruled a knockout or called for the fight to continue; however, once a fighter is knocked down, the referee must count to eight seconds before the fight can continue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marque...ensberry_Rules

Some thoughts:

Both fighters fought a relatively dirty fight if we go by guidelines of the sport. Though I could see the holding by the neck, and rabbit punches from Kovalev as a counter to Ward's method of coming in leading with his head.

Whenever Kovalev connected with a strong lead punch or counter, Ward's tactic was to clinch in order to keep Kovalev from putting shots together. His whole game plan was to clinch to neutralize distance. Though there's a difference between the skill of in-fighting and blatantly clinching with illegal tactics. We can probably look at some videos of past great fighters who fought with an inside style and see if they launch themselves head first into their opponents guard. Maybe we can make some comparisons here.

Also how come Ward did not use his right hand much? I don't tend to watch Andre Ward's fights too often. But is he a southpaw fighting out of the orthodox stance? It seems to me like all he did was throw the left hand, and whenever he threw the right he got countered. That's how he got knocked down in the 2nd round. Maybe using your lead left for the majority of a bout is a good way to neutralize a fighter with a strong right hand? I'm not sure, can anyone in this forum go more into depth about this?

What about this too? Kovalev seems to throw stiff jabs while landing with his palms sometimes? He's got the reach to get away with that, but can any one tell us if that's a punching strategy or a technique issue?

Oh and about the fight. Well I can't decide on a winner. The fight was so close that the winner of the fight is up to the viewer's bias and beliefs. Though I believe that the fight should've been called a draw to protect the stock of both fighters.
    Last edited by wanderingfighter; 11-21-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is one of the reasons I don't think it was a terrific fight. In boxing today it is almost as though we are meant to turn a blind eye to blatant cheating. Some even seem to laud it as a 'skill' and it shouldn't be that way. To be fair though Kovalev was doing it too whence we got an ugly fight and no proper warnings. Clinches and butts shouldn't be allowed. I will never forget Ward/Kessler. Son of God? Son of Goat more like.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im not sure kov was guilty of it

I think he was reacting to what ward was doing

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Kov used the clinch too, but no use of the head from him.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think 2 kovalevs in there it would have been a fight of punching, I think 2 wards would have been a fight of grabbing
    Last edited by erics44; 11-21-2016 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

kov did clinch but ward punching then coming him gave him little choice

I think 2 kovalevs in there it would have been a fight of punching, I think 2 wards would have been a fight of grabbing
    Those would be close fights too imo.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well said Eric and P4P. I am in hearty agreement with these statements.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kov vs Kov would likely be a robbery though, I bet Ward would get a draw being the home fighter.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ha

Kov is never gonna be accepted in America, not even against kov, coz kov is Russian

kov kov

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

carry on the sequence

one kov

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfighter View Post
    Some thoughts:

Both fighters fought a relatively dirty fight if we go by guidelines of the sport. Though I could see the holding by the neck, and rabbit punches from Kovalev as a counter to Ward's method of coming in leading with his head.

Whenever Kovalev connected with a strong lead punch or counter, Ward's tactic was to clinch in order to keep Kovalev from putting shots together. His whole game plan was to clinch to neutralize distance. Though there's a difference between the skill of in-fighting and blatantly clinching with illegal tactics. We can probably look at some videos of past great fighters who fought with an inside style and see if they launch themselves head first into their opponents guard. Maybe we can make some comparisons here.

Also how come Ward did not use his right hand much? I don't tend to watch Andre Ward's fights too often. But is he a southpaw fighting out of the orthodox stance? It seems to me like all he did was throw the left hand, and whenever he threw the right he got countered. That's how he got knocked down in the 2nd round. Maybe using your lead left for the majority of a bout is a good way to neutralize a fighter with a strong right hand? I'm not sure, can anyone in this forum go more into depth about this?

PRECISELY! Some key points are made here in a very objective, unbiased manner:

1. Both fighters engaged in a lot of dirty fighting. Difference being, Kovalev was responding to Ward's dirty tactics.

2. There is a DEFINITE difference between skilled in-fighting and clinching and mauling and launching yourself into your opponent head first..... 10,000-word theses notwithstanding.

3. Ward DEFINITELY did not use his right hand much. In addition, his use of the left included a lot of useless and annoying pawing, which of course gave the impression that he was (ahem)... busy.

And there's probably a reason why you don't watch Andre Ward's fights too often.............. they SUCK.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward does use his head a lot and he doesn't necessarily play it all by the book. But if anyone saw his fight with Kessler amongst others would know this. Is it Excessive? well, yeah, it is because it is against the rules of boxing. Is Ward a dirty Fighter? again, Yeah he probably is to a degree, but is he the first Boxer ever to break the rules? No.
    Boxers will do what they have to do to get the job done. They all break the rules and they all want to win. It's just that some do that more than others.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ha

Kov is never gonna be accepted in America, not even against kov, coz kov is Russian

kov kov
    Why not just type"I've never been to America" because acting like you know how americans feel is not working for you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Using the head and clinching is kind of like flopping in basketball or football (soccer). People do it because they can get away with it. If refs didn't call them, or they would penalize them for it, it would stop.

Certain fighters use the head because it's effective and they never get called for it. I understand even though i disagree. So the fighter isn't the problem. The problem is that the refs aren't being told to crack down on it.

Thread Information