Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How do they decide who goes on The Contender??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How do they decide who goes on The Contender??

Just wandering what the selection process is like, because i was reading on another site British Champion Jamie Moore was in the mix to be on the up coming show, does anyone know anything about this or how they pick there contenders??

Have any other well known Professionals had a go at being on the up coming show??

Jamie Moore would of beat the majority of the last class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do they decide who goes on The Contender??

the show is basicly a place for up and coming "prospects" to showcase the abilities they may or maynot have... they try to find boxers with legit records that havent fought tomato cans to pad records. I dont think J.M. would be a good candidate for the show, although a great boxer. they're looking for more obscure talent. im from providence so i was extatic to see peter manfredo make it to the finals...(lost the finale... won the rematch) The contender is a great place for local heros in there own respects with electric/interesting personalities to "get a shot".
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who knows.. Probably the same way they select people for a sitcom or a TV commercial... Plenty of different racial and religious backgrounds.. Contrasting personalities.. It has just as much to do with that crap then actual talent, perhaps more so. I heard Paulie Malignigi was considering being on the next season, he would be a good pick for TV rating I guess, get the little 12 year old girls watching, but I guess he and 98 degrees are going to do the reunion tour instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

VERY TRUE... AND AS FAR AS PAULIE GOES. GOOD BOXER. BETTER $HIT TALKER. BUT THERES SO MUCH FRINGE ON HIS SHOES IT LOOKES LIKE HE'S WEARING CHEERLEADING POMPOMS ON HIS FEET.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From what I read they have tryouts in various big cities, where people show up do a workout for the them. I know with the first season they sparred Sly's brother in the ring, and I read that this season they were just doing a workout (heavy bag, etc.). They also go through an interview process, they go through all of this in various stages;like workout first, get a call back for interviews, etc. At least this is what I have read and heard.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.contendercasting.com/Down...pplication.pdf

Thats the application form they fill out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think first they wine and dine Oscar, and he hands out a single boxing glove to all the contestants on day one. Then they profess their love for him and he takes the three finalists for one on one sparring sessions in a secret location. They are then serenaded by Mayweather Sr. and taught the "Judah shuffle" by Zab himself.

After that, I'm not sure how Oscar picks the winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well after the interview session, the workout session, then would come the most intense session where you would have to have display some freakshow qualities, that is how brent cooper made the cut he said he is boxing because this is the fastest way for him to meet jesus christ, since suicide is a sin, and no one can forget that cartoon character BHONSANTO saying stupid shit like "Now my kids are here, I cannot lose ." and then he goes and get knocked out hahahahahahah. also while fighting ishe smith, he suddenly became attracted to him so he picked him in an effort to hump him only realizing that he was on national tv that he put him down.

man I hope if the contender returns they make sly the full time commentator he was so horible he made me laugh. Toe to Toe! WHOA, good right hand Rematch!, i want to see this one again! Toe to Toe! WHOA! another good right hand! Man i need to see this rematch! and this was said in every round. also they need to get rid of thos challenges which have nothing to do with boxing but what was funny was how they would describe the challenge with sugar ray saying " gentleman this will test your versatility"
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

based on the fact they were gonna have magalini on, they want someone who is undefeated reguardless of ability

magalini is a joke

he will loose to cotto

Thread Information