Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What is the Art of boxing?

What is the Art of Boxing to you?

I appreciate the rough and tumble fighters like everyone else and love a good scrap..but like fine wine or a priceless painting what is the essence of boxing?

What fight, boxer or event set the scene to you and made you realise this is a professional sport with so many fundamentals..how can throwing x6 different punches be so special?

My heart strings will always pull on any boxer that has the ability to hit and not get hit and when watching in slow motion you can see the true beauty of boxing..

What makes it special for you?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What is the Art of boxing?

boxing is this: punches are just shapes moving through space in the same way that chess pieces are just representations of shapes moving on a chess board. these shapes join up and form into patterns, and, these patterns too, form into shapes. those patterns, and the shapes they take on, merge and mesh with other patterns and their shapes to occasionally produce collisions. to box is to take all of your shapes and all of your patterns and design out of them all a collision course. done properly, you will only need to make one.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watch Ali, Robinson, or Monzon. they will show you what art is.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me, the Art of boxing is overrated; while it is an art (think Ali, Robinson, Leonard, Mayweather) it is far too often random, lucky, spontaneous openings that appear, and the dumb luck of being, say, out of position or on the wrong foot, which allowed you to score a KO when it never wouldve happened had you been in the "correct" position at that moment. I have seen far too many flukes/miracles/inexplicable, beauteous, spontaneous actions and reactions in fights, that there would be NO WAY to practice it or plan for it. THAT is what boxing is for me, not so much an art (of course I am not discouraging the fundamentals of defense and footwork and training and learning the combinations or how to throw/adjust a jab, feints, etc.) but all that goes out the window "the minute the first punch is thrown" (I think we remember which all time great said that!)

The Art of Boxing for me is not a corny "to hit and not get hit" (it's like telling someone the secret of success is to save money.......duhhh......Captain Obvious there), but rather it is SENSING IN THE SPLIT SECOND WHAT IS UNFOLDING, and CAPITALIZING ON IT. And THAT, my buddies, cannot be TAUGHT.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

John T Ochs wrote a fabulous trilogy documenting the life of boxing legend Jack Hurley. The first book, The Fargo Express, focuses on Hurley and his most notable fighter, Billy Petrolle.
    Towards the end of his career Petrolle fought a young guy that was known for his powerful right hand. The plan was to lure the guy into throwing his best punch, making him miss and countering with a right.
    In the first round the plan worked and Petrolle scored a knockdown. After that the other guy boxed carefully, and was very careful about how he used his right hand. Until the 7th round when he saw an opening and fired one.
    Petrolle slipped the punch and knocked the guy out.

After the fight Petrolle went to the other fighter's dressing room and found him crying. Petrolle consoled him, telling him it had been a good fight and that the Garden would have him back. The other fight shook his head.
    "Its not that", he said."I feel so stupid because I knew all the time that you were trying to bait me into throwing a right hand. But you made it look so good I couldn't help it."

That is the art of boxing.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    For me, the Art of boxing is overrated; while it is an art (think Ali, Robinson, Leonard, Mayweather) it is far too often random, lucky, spontaneous openings that appear, and the dumb luck of being, say, out of position or on the wrong foot, which allowed you to score a KO when it never wouldve happened had you been in the "correct" position at that moment. I have seen far too many flukes/miracles/inexplicable, beauteous, spontaneous actions and reactions in fights, that there would be NO WAY to practice it or plan for it. THAT is what boxing is for me, not so much an art (of course I am not discouraging the fundamentals of defense and footwork and training and learning the combinations or how to throw/adjust a jab, feints, etc.) but all that goes out the window "the minute the first punch is thrown" (I think we remember which all time great said that!)

The Art of Boxing for me is not a corny "to hit and not get hit" (it's like telling someone the secret of success is to save money.......duhhh......Captain Obvious there), but rather it is SENSING IN THE SPLIT SECOND WHAT IS UNFOLDING, and CAPITALIZING ON IT. And THAT, my buddies, cannot be TAUGHT.
    Yeah, the art of boxing was on display by Moorer against Foreman until...
    To this day I say Rumble in the Jungle would never be duplicated-laying on the ropes waiting to tire a foe out isn't really that scientific.
    I also think Leonard vs Duran wasn't so much about the art or science-as he never forced a guy to walk away after that.

Another great example of the art of boxing for me is Winky Wright vs Sam Soliman. After winky decimated a great of his era (Tito) with just a jab...by the end of his fight with Soliman, Winky was swollen red, much to Larry Merchant's chagrin, "Winky...you look like you've been in a fight"

Of all the guys that made him look normal was a guy who seemed to fall into landing punches and fall out of the way of getting hit.

Another one for me is when Nate Campbell was commentating an Ali Funeka fight...he cracked me up when he stated- "See guys like him, long and wiry looking, it looks like he is falling out of the way of a punch, not some specific move you can pinpoint. When I fought him it look like he would throw a punch way out of range, then somehow lands it, not because he is skilled. Guys who don't throw straight punches are hard to predict where it will land, based on where he launches his punches.- or guys who don't really master the art.

As far as the phrase itself, I'm ok with it. Guys like Floyd Mayweather overall is a textbook fighter who does it (everything) with precision, accuracy, timing, footing. He knows distance, can gauge his foe's speed, positioning. Which punches his foes throws that generates power- is it his hook or his uppercut.

I think Floyd is a computer-thinker in that sense which I could say he is an example of a fighter who knows the art of boxing.
    To counter, so, too, does Bernard Hopkins, but he know some shady shit to do that -if done at the right time and position out of range for the ref-to see...well could that be called the art of boxing as well?

Final example for me of a fighter who knows the art-but doesn't always translate to victories is Tim Bradley What a great Ring IQ he has, balance, speed. Yet all those muscles...and no one fears getting in the trenches to which is why Provodnikov to him to the brink...workman like performance put the ARTIST in his bathroom urinating blood.

Glencoffe is probably my All time favorite -in terms of a guy who can spoil a boxer's technique, by outworking, outhustle.

Heck I think a 190lb Marciano beats the highly skilled Usyk-by blue-collar beatdwon. Sometimes skills, talent aint enough.
    Sometimes the art of boxing is spoiled by intangibles.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 06-10-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Yeah, the art of boxing was on display by Moorer against Foreman until...
    To this day I say Rumble in the Jungle would never be duplicated-laying on the ropes waiting to tire a foe out isn't really that scientific.
    I also think Leonard vs Duran wasn't so much about the art or science-as he never forced a guy to walk away after that.

Another great example of the art of boxing for me is Winky Wright vs Sam Soliman. After winky decimated a great of his era (Tito) with just a jab...by the end of his fight with Soliman, Winky was swollen red, much to Larry Merchant's chagrin, "Winky...you look like you've been in a fight"

Of all the guys that made him look normal was a guy who seemed to fall into landing punches and fall out of the way of getting hit.

Another one for me is when Nate Campbell was commentating an Ali Funeka fight...he cracked me up when he stated- "See guys like him, long and wiry looking, it looks like he is falling out of the way of a punch, not some specific move you can pinpoint. When I fought him it look like he would throw a punch way out of range, then somehow lands it, not because he is skilled. Guys who don't throw straight punches are hard to predict where it will land, based on where he launches his punches.- or guys who don't really master the art.

As far as the phrase itself, I'm ok with it. Guys like Floyd Mayweather overall is a textbook fighter who does it (everything) with precision, accuracy, timing, footing. He knows distance, can gauge his foe's speed, positioning. Which punches his foes throws that generates power- is it his hook or his uppercut.

I think Floyd is a computer-thinker in that sense which I could say he is an example of a fighter who knows the art of boxing.
    To counter, so, too, does Bernard Hopkins, but he know some shady shit to do that -if done at the right time and position out of range for the ref-to see...well could that be called the art of boxing as well?

Final example for me of a fighter who knows the art-but doesn't always translate to victories is Tim Bradley What a great Ring IQ he has, balance, speed. Yet all those muscles...and no one fears getting in the trenches to which is why Provodnikov to him to the brink...workman like performance put the ARTIST in his bathroom urinating blood.

Glencoffe is probably my All time favorite -in terms of a guy who can spoil a boxer's technique, by outworking, outhustle.

Heck I think a 190lb Marciano beats the highly skilled Usyk-by blue-collar beatdwon. Sometimes skills, talent aint enough.
    Sometimes the art of boxing is spoiled by intangibles.
    Precisley. And exactly my point. Intangibles. Beautiful post bro.

And yes, 190 Blockbuster gives a BLUE COLLAR BEATDOWN (what a phrase!) to Usyk and everybody else at that.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    What is the Art of Boxing to you?

I appreciate the rough and tumble fighters like everyone else and love a good scrap..but like fine wine or a priceless painting what is the essence of boxing?

What fight, boxer or event set the scene to you and made you realise this is a professional sport with so many fundamentals..how can throwing x6 different punches be so special?

My heart strings will always pull on any boxer that has the ability to hit and not get hit and when watching in slow motion you can see the true beauty of boxing..

What makes it special for you?
    The art of boxing to hit and not to be hit sums it up spot I would say.đź‘Ť

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

prediction is faster than handspeed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sensing in the split second not to get hit and then counter to hit your opponent is capitalising on their mistake.

Tell Mayweather that’s corny..Duh

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what the art of boxing Is but try not to over think things?!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post

prediction is faster than handspeed.
    That is what they say, timing beats speed.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    thats right.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    thats right.
    That's why Marciano was 49-0.
    Slowest guy I ever saw, shortest reach I ever saw, but he landed, and landed I would say pretty well.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sensing in the split second not to get hit and then counter to hit your opponent is capitalising on their mistake.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what the art of boxing Is but try not to over think things?!
    What I meant by corny is that we should try to use our own words to describe that strategy rather than just repeat the same old words we have always heard about it and not get hit

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I am not over-thinking anything I am saying to think less is better. as Mike Tyson famously said all the best laid strategies and plans and techniques in the world go right out the window the minute the first punch is landed

@imp that's what I was saying.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I meant by corny is that we should try to use our own words to describe that strategy rather than just repeat the same old words we have always heard about it and not get hit

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I am not over-thinking anything I am saying to think less is better. as Mike Tyson famously said all the best laid strategies and plans and techniques in the world go right out the window the minute the first punch is landed

@imp that's what I was saying.
    Cool.

Thread Information