Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Bute damage goods?

Can he recover from the beating he took from Carl Froch? I know he's good enough but, is he tough enough?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Bute damage goods?

Good question. I think he is and its upstairs more then anything physical. Carls a 21st century Denny Moyer. Anytime, anywhere, anyplace. Bute was stopped in the amateurs before but nothing like that. History is on Carls side. Most rematches end up a worse beating the the original. Most. I have this feeling Bute is mentally wrecked.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i agree, when rematches are so soon after the first the result is very rarely reversed, especially when its so one sided in the first

my honest opinion is is that bute was massively over rated before the first froch fight, he hadnt fought anyone at world class really

johnson yes but johnson rarely wins at the lofty heights anymore
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopefully carl knocks him out sooner.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, totally. He was crushed by Froch who really doesn't crush people at elite level and then looked god awful and gun shy in a very lacklustre comeback bout. Froch will keep him in Canada for good after this completely pointless rematch.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm canadian and a huge Bute fan, but I think he's finished on the elite level. Some guys get stronger after a humilitating beating, but I don't think he's one of those guys. He'll always be a solid fighter, but I don't see him competing with the big boys anymore.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    yeah i agree, when rematches are so soon after the first the result is very rarely reversed, especially when its so one sided in the first

my honest opinion is is that bute was massively over rated before the first froch fight, he hadnt fought anyone at world class really

johnson yes but johnson rarely wins at the lofty heights anymore
    @erics44 you always forget Bika.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm such a die-hard Bute fan that I'm biased in his favor so take this with a grain of salt.

I liked that last round against Grachev. It has me thinking Bute still has it. However, the Grachev fight as a whole made me think twice about him; I must admit. However, a point can be made that Grachev is tougher than advertised and has a style that is comparable to Froch's. He was the exact opponent Bute needed to face and that he ended the fight strong is a good omen. Is he over at the top level? Maybe. Could he beat Arthur Abraham, Robert Stieglitz etc.? Yes.

People say Bute was overrated. I just don't get it. Pre-Froch fight, when you compare his performances against common opponents, Bute performed better at every instance. Watch Froch against Johnson or Ward against Miranda and Bika. Bute did better. He stopped Miranda and dominated Bika and Johnson. Froch took a split decision against Johnson and Ward had difficulty with Bika and couldn't put down Miranda.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I'm such a die-hard Bute fan that I'm biased in his favor so take this with a grain of salt.

I liked that last round against Grachev. It has me thinking Bute still has it. However, the Grachev fight as a whole made me think twice about him; I must admit. However, a point can be made that Grachev is tougher than advertised and has a style that is comparable to Froch's. He was the exact opponent Bute needed to face and that he ended the fight strong is a good omen. Is he over at the top level? Maybe. Could he beat Arthur Abraham, Robert Stieglitz etc.? Yes.

People say Bute was overrated. I just don't get it. Pre-Froch fight, when you compare his performances against common opponents, Bute performed better at every instance. Watch Froch against Johnson or Ward against Miranda and Bika. Bute did better. He stopped Miranda and dominated Bika and Johnson. Froch took a split decision against Johnson and Ward had difficulty with Bika and couldn't put down Miranda.

I'm a die hard to but that Grachev fight was the kicker for me. Who knows maybe that was the kind of fight he needed to have but to me he's got some major head issues/confidence.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, I think it was silly for people to say he was overrated. It's not like he didn't fight tough opposition.

I really hope he can come back, but I saw the look in his eyes and his body language when things got tough in the Froch fight. I saw that in a lot of other guys who fizzled out.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I agree, I think it was silly for people to say he was overrated. It's not like he didn't fight tough opposition.

I really hope he can come back, but I saw the look in his eyes and his body language when things got tough in the Froch fight. I saw that in a lot of other guys who fizzled out.

Confidence is vital for a fighter, Bute has lost a little and I think it started with the first Andrade fight. I know he won both Andrade fights but he looked ready to run in that first fight. Like you said he had that look in his eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First rule of boxing is not to judge a fighter by comparing common foes. After all, Mundine caused Kessler problems over 12 rounds, Ottke knocked him out with one punch. Should we suppose Ottke is better and hits harder?

People don't get that Bute was overrated? it's silly? The dictionary definition:-

To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

Bute was bookies favorite, and almost all experts picked a close fight, or win for Bute. Ring magazine had 22 experts polled. 10 picked Froch, 12 Bute. None picked Froch KO. The only warnings were that Bute has not fought anyone as good as Froch, whereas Froch has faced as good or better than Bute.

The result was Bute not only being beaten, but being easily outclassed. Given the experts and bookies pre- fight predictions, it makes Bute the very example of overrated by the definition above.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthepen View Post

First rule of boxing is not to judge a fighter by comparing common foes. After all, Mundine caused Kessler problems over 12 rounds, Ottke knocked him out with one punch. Should we suppose Ottke is better and hits harder?

People don't get that Bute was overrated? it's silly? The dictionary definition:-

Bute was bookies favorite, and almost all experts picked a close fight, or win for Bute. Ring magazine had 22 experts polled. 10 picked Froch, 12 Bute. None picked Froch KO. The only warnings were that Bute has not fought anyone as good as Froch, whereas Froch has faced as good or better than Bute.

The result was Bute not only being beaten, but being easily outclassed. Given the experts and bookies pre- fight predictions, it makes Bute the very example of overrated by the definition above.
    I was responding to a post that said Bute was massively overrated before the fight, which is rubbish since at that time all we had to go on were (1) common opponents and (2) experience. With regard to common opponents, Bute did better hands down. With regard to experience, when Froch fought elite opponents, he lost (e.g. Kessler and Ward). Looking at it with 20/20 hindsight after the fight is always easy, but at the time of the fight to say he was overrated doesn't make sense. Also, it takes credit away from Froch for winning what is arguably the best win of his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthepen View Post

I was responding to a post that said Bute was massively overrated before the fight, which is rubbish since at that time all we had to go on were (1) common opponents and (2) experience. With regard to common opponents, Bute did better hands down. With regard to experience, when Froch fought elite opponents, he lost (e.g. Kessler and Ward). Looking at it with 20/20 hindsight after the fight is always easy, but at the time of the fight to say he was overrated doesn't make sense. Also, it takes credit away from Froch for winning what is arguably the best win of his career.
    You have it the wrong way around. He isn't massively overrated now, because we know the level he is at. The fact that he was a)Stepping up in class for the first time and b) expected to win by most and got destroyed is exactly the definition of overrated if you think about the meaning of the word i.e. rated higher than his true level.
    It's not like he had any pedigree at the highest level. With Froch we knew what we got, and though he has lost at elite level, they were tough matches (the Kessler one could have gone either way).
    As you say, we rated him on his experience to date, and got it wrong. No shame, or 20/20 hindsight needed. I thought Bute was a lot better than he is. I overrated him.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We will find out in the long run but he did not take a systematic beating so should have a few more miles in the clock yet.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information