Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The next Floyd...hardly

There is obviously a huge lesson to be learned for Broner after this fight: you cannot expect great things (success/fame/accomplishments) to just be handed to you. You need to work extremely hard to be a GREAT fighter and you need the mental strength/discipline to maintain that success. Broner thought he could just be the next Floyd...p4p king, flamboyant, and super rich. Floyd was born into boxing...it's his craft...and for all of his excess....he respects this craft tremendously. He was already a brilliant fighter before he became "Money." And he realizes that if he is not on top of his game consistently...it could all come crashing down. The hardest part for Broner wont be his defeat on Saturday...the hardest part will be trying to adapt his lifestyle/personality/dedication to try to piece it all together. I personally don't see it happening...his post fight reaction and quotes don't inspire confidence.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All you can do is hope that Broner gets it together. There is no doubt he is a great fighter with great speed and punching power. I don't know if he will stay at WW, but my advice would be to drop back down a couple of weight classes.
    If he would stop acting like a clown I could see myself cheering the guy on. If he wants to be respected, he has to respect the people around him and drop his obsession with Floyd.
    Time will tell, it usually does.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The next Floyd...hardly

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    There is obviously a huge lesson to be learned for Broner after this fight: you cannot expect great things (success/fame/accomplishments) to just be handed to you. You need to work extremely hard to be a GREAT fighter and you need the mental strength/discipline to maintain that success. Broner thought he could just be the next Floyd... @p4pking, flamboyant, and super rich. Floyd was born into boxing...it's his craft...and for all of his excess....he respects this craft tremendously. He was already a brilliant fighter before he became "Money." And he realizes that if he is not on top of his game consistently...it could all come crashing down. The hardest part for Broner wont be his defeat on Saturday...the hardest part will be trying to adapt his lifestyle/personality/dedication to try to piece it all together. I personally don't see it happening...his post fight reaction and quotes don't inspire confidence.
    just made a little edit
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are a lot of parallels between Floyd and Broner. Similiar record, style, and people forget that when Floyd was Broner's age, he also jumped up in weight and had big trouble against Castillo, a fight that a lot of people think he lost. Obviously that wasn't a complete beatdown like Broner took against Maidana, but it presented a crossroads in Floyd's career where he had to go back to the drawing board and adapt.

There are obviously a lot of differences though. Obviously Floyd was a lot more technically sound at that age, he was a lot more mature in the ring, and his boxing IQ was astronomically higher. He also had a lot more discipline; we never heard about Floyd getting fat between fights.

Broner will either adjust his style and learn from this, or he'll stay the same and drift into mediocrity.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    All you can do is hope that Broner gets it together. There is no doubt he is a great fighter with great speed and punching power. I don't know if he will stay at WW, but my advice would be to drop back down a couple of weight classes.
    If he would stop acting like a clown I could see myself cheering the guy on. If he wants to be respected, he has to respect the people around him and drop his obsession with Floyd.
    Time will tell, it usually does.
    Im sorry brother but Broner is not a 'great' fighter. His speed is smothered and comes in choppy volleys, not fluid. His power didn't make the flight when he jumped divisions and his defense is basically shielding with the shoulder and trying to ride a lot shots without using his feet. His approach and mentality of entitlement makes me believe he's too far ahead of himself to strip down to the framework, retool the fundamentals and become what he had fantasies of being and certainly on a Floyd level. They are nothing alike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I think the comparisons are ridiculous, Floyd Mayweather is a once in a generation fighter. If Broner takes anything from his time with Floyd I hope its how to look after yourself away from the ring, he looked in terrible shape at the first Madina press conference whilst Floyd can go ages away from boxing and still stay in great shape.
    Excuse my spelling Hidden Content

Thread Information