Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Don't really know how to ask this

So ill just come right out and ask it: This maybe a stupid or obvious question but, if I am of relatively good fitness but have very very little experience fighting, what would 5 months of pure dedicated training (with a personal boxing trainer) get me? When others first started, how did you all go after 5 months of training? Is that enough to hold your own against people on the street or even step into the ring? I honestly don't know how all of it works but I really do want to get into boxing.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Don't really know how to ask this

The average person on the street would not last 3 minutes in a ring with an amateur boxer.

Being fit is a good start but need boxing skills, commitment , durability when getting hit from the top of my head.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The average person on the street would not last 3 minutes in a ring with an amateur boxer.

Being fit is a good start but need boxing skills, commitment , durability when getting hit from the top of my head.
    That was inspiring. Defiantly time to start investing. Ill stick around and lurk and learn.

Thanks for the advice.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let us know how you get on, especially the sparring.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

everything you can do in the gym you can do in your garage, but one thing, and that is having a body in front of you. in all of your training, as much as you can, you will want to have another human body in front of you. you will want to feel punches coming at you. you will want to feel the way a punch enters into your slip space, the space next to your ear and over your shoulder, and comes back out. when emanuel steward worked the pads he said he liked to catch your jab and then return a jab. that teaches you not just how to throw a punch, but how to think about the way all punches interact as a whole. many new fighters, concerned with only how to throw punches, will beat themselves up about not being able to land their first punch, not realizing that the first punch is what sets up the second or third punch. what is not being understood is that all punches are important, not just the ones you throw, and especially not just the ones you land. sandy koufax said that he became a good pitcher when he stopped trying to make hitters miss the ball and started trying to make hitters hit the ball. the same principle is true in boxing. when you think about boxing, try not to think about what you are doing, but how what you are doing, and how what the other guy is doing, all come together to form something larger than both of you. if you can see that, then you can start to manipulate the entire process as it is as a whole, and use it to produce the effect you want.
    Last edited by Yuzo; 07-07-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

roadwork will give you an edge, especially on the street. like yuzo said, sparring lets you gain some comfort with having someone come at you
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    roadwork will give you an edge, especially on the street. like yuzo said, sparring lets you gain some comfort with having someone come at you
    that is true, but before you start sparring, you will just want to have a person standing in front of you throwing punches. you can get your trainer or one of the guys at the gym to help you with that.

that is what will get you used to punches coming at you.

good padwork gets you not just used to throwing punches but it should also get you used to punches coming at you.
    Last edited by Yuzo; 07-07-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Let us know how you get on, especially the sparring.
    Shall do mate, might even get the camera out to record a bit of my progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    everything you can do in the gym you can do in your garage, but one thing, and that is having a body in front of you. in all of your training, as much as you can, you will want to have another human body in front of you. you will want to feel punches coming at you. you will want to feel the way a punch enters into your slip space, the space next to your ear and over your shoulder, and comes back out. when emanuel steward worked the pads he said he liked to catch your jab and then return a jab. that teaches you not just how to throw a punch, but how to think about the way all punches interact as a whole. many new fighters, concerned with only how to throw punches, will beat themselves up about not being able to land their first punch, not realizing that the first punch is what sets up the second or third punch. what is not being understood is that all punches are important, not just the ones you throw, and especially not just the ones you land. sandy koufax said that he became a good pitcher when he stopped trying to make hitters miss the ball and started trying to make hitters hit the ball. the same principle is true in boxing. when you think about boxing, try not to think about what you are doing, but how what you are doing, and how what the other guy is doing, all come together to form something larger than both of you. if you can see that, then you can start to manipulate the entire process as it is as a whole, and use it to produce the effect you want.
    You know, I never thought about it like that. This is definatly the way to go. Would make me more fluid and help me build up muscle memory etc. I like this. cheers guys.

that is true, but before you start sparring, you will just want to have a person standing in front of you throwing punches. you can get your trainer or one of the guys at the gym to help you with that.

good padwork gets you not just used to throwing punches but it should also get you used to punches coming at you.
    This as well. Cheers for the advice.

I might buy a bag for home to practice on but yeah, I will focus a lot on sparing for sure.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i was watching an old clip of floyd mayweather doing pad work with his dad. its an old clip i wish i could find it again. he was just a kid. had to be around maybe 11 years old i guess. they were up in the ring and his dad starts throwing shots at him. the kind of stuff that, if it hit him, you could tell it would hurt pretty bad. he, very calmly, made all of that miss. is something like that child abuse? i realized that floyd mayweather, from a very young age, probably younger than he was there, was totally at peace with punches flying by his head. if you can get it into your head that the other guys punches arent a bad thing and they are actually a good thing that you get to use to your advantage, then you can really start boxing.
    Last edited by Yuzo; 07-08-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i was watching an old clip of floyd mayweather doing pad work with his dad. its an old clip i wish i could find it again. he was just a kid. had to be around maybe 11 years old i guess. they were up in the ring and his dad starts throwing shots at him. the kind of stuff that, if it hit him, you could tell it would hurt pretty bad. he, very calmly, made all of that miss. is something like that child abuse? i realized that floyd mayweather, from a very young age, probably younger than he was there, was totally at peace with punches flying by his head. if you can get it into your head that the other guys punches arent a bad thing and they are actually a good thing that you get to use to your advantage, then you can really start boxing.
    I had an extensive look myself and couldn't find it. I did however spend the rest of the afternoon looking at Mayweather Sr clips of him doing padwork.

@Master, now I see what you mean about people on the street not lasting 3 mins against an armature boxer.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i was meaning someone throwing when i said coming at you, otherwise you may as well just use a bag. you'll never lose the butterflies but should develop a certain level of comfort
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

any updates on this thread? I would like to see some of his sparring videos like he was talking about. This was a great thread lettuce continuous now updates

Thread Information