60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Khan v Saul Alvarez

Quote Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Just watched it. Went exactly as I and most thought. Was never going to stay away for 12 rounds.

Strange post fight from Hunter turning it on Alvarez to step up.

Yes he was bigger but Khan still got caught. A decent 147 pounder landing same on Khan would have same outcome.

Think Khan will have one more pay day and out. He'll avoid Brook
    I'm not sure about a 147 giving Khan a one punch ko he's took some monster shots before from people in his weight class and always gets up, the weight advantage really showed last night that was a brutal ko
    I think Brook could Ice him with the exact same punch Canelo landed with. Canelo Brook at 154 would be decent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    It went the way pretty much as I expected
    Khan boxed really well and got caught with a devastating punch and it was good night.
    He did show some balls taking the fight, Khan is a fine boxer but his chin is a big factor in his fights.
    Hopefully if Khan fights on he will face Brook he still is a big draw and a fight I would like to see.
    he boxed really badly, did not throw any leather, just couple bursts in counter attack. I expected him throwing more quick 1-2-3 like against Alexandr, he would have lasted longer ....
    The extra weight affected his quickness and punch output. He would avoided that ko shot at 147.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amir Khan's world-middleweight title dreams ended in the heartache of defeat in Las Vegas when WBC champion Saul Alvarez stopped him with a heavy knockout in the sixth round.

The 29-year-old had made a promising start to the fight he required by capitalising on his speed to build an early lead.

However, he ultimately proved too small and not elusive enough to evade the bigger fighter for the 12-round distance.

Amir Khan says he has no regrets after being knocked out by Saul Alvarez.

The Bolton-based boxer’s ambitious WBC middleweight title bid ended in the sixth round after Canelo connected with a brutal right hook.

Khan was sent crashing to the ground after he was caught on the chin by the huge hit, but had claimed victory in the opening rounds after utilising his renowned boxing skills.

“I’m a natural 147 (pounds) fighter, but this challenge came and it was very hard to turn down,” Khan told host American broadcasters HBO after the fourth defeat of his 35-fight career.

“I want to be the best, I want to fight the best and that’s why I took this fight.

“I’m one of those fighters that will step in the ring with whoever.

“I showed my bravery by getting in the ring with Canelo, but this is boxing.

“I wanted to go out there as a champion.”

So what next for Canelo?

He has now been challenged to fight the unbeaten Kazakhstani Gennady Golovkin, the current WBA and IBF world champion who was ringside at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Alvarez said: “I invited him to come to the ring.

“We don’t come to play in this sport, I fear no one in this sport.

“As I said in the last fight, I’ll put on the gloves again right now.”

The Brit impressed in the first four rounds, but his Mexican opponent floored him with a huge right hand to retain his WBC middleweight belt

Amir Khan's world-middleweight title dreams ended in the heartache of defeat in Las Vegas when WBC champion Saul Alvarez stopped him with a heavy knockout in the sixth round.

The 29-year-old had made a promising start to the fight he required by capitalising on his speed to build an early lead.

However, he ultimately proved too small and not elusive enough to evade the bigger fighter for the 12-round distance.

You can re-live the action as it happened below.

Amir Khan knocked out by Alvarez in sixth round

Reaction: Khan defeated in Vegas

Report: Brutal blow defeats Khan

Khan reassures fans en route to hospital

Khan insists "I showed my bravery"

Amir Khan says he has no regrets after being knocked out by Saul Alvarez.

The Bolton-based boxer’s ambitious WBC middleweight title bid ended in the sixth round after Canelo connected with a brutal right hook.

Khan was sent crashing to the ground after he was caught on the chin by the huge hit, but had claimed victory in the opening rounds after utilising his renowned boxing skills.

“I’m a natural 147 (pounds) fighter, but this challenge came and it was very hard to turn down,” Khan told host American broadcasters HBO after the fourth defeat of his 35-fight career.

“I want to be the best, I want to fight the best and that’s why I took this fight.

“I’m one of those fighters that will step in the ring with whoever.

“I showed my bravery by getting in the ring with Canelo, but this is boxing.

“I wanted to go out there as a champion.”

Canelo calls out Golovkin

So what next for Canelo?

He has now been challenged to fight the unbeaten Kazakhstani Gennady Golovkin, the current WBA and IBF world champion who was ringside at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Alvarez said: “I invited him to come to the ring.

“We don’t come to play in this sport, I fear no one in this sport.

“As I said in the last fight, I’ll put on the gloves again right now.”

It was always an uphill task for Amir Khan, but the ballsy Brit gave it his all in Las Vegas against his heavily-fancied Mexican opponent. And he gave a great account of himself in the opening few rounds, consistently beating Canelo to the punch and racking up a lead on the scorecards of most neutral observers.

But there was always the danger of him getting caught with one big shot that could sway the tide of the fight the way of the flame-haired champion - and that’s exactly what happened.

A lazy jab from Khan and a rocket of a right hand from Canelo was enough to end an absorbing contest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing...nocked-7922844
    Last edited by Master; 05-08-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last edited by Master; 05-08-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just got round to watching this. Yeah, Khan was ahead , but he wasn't connecting with a lot.
    He did enough to stop people berating him for the £9 million purse he was paid.
    Canelo looked pretty shit in my book , worst I've seen him apart from when Floyd schooled him.
    Somebody said earlier "if everyone thinks GGG beats him, why do they want to see the fight?" And you know what, that's absolutely true. The problem is that the WBC have let that prick DLH create a whole new weight division. Every top MW should now just boycott Canelo and let him carry on making these Circus fights.
    As for where it leaves GGG , his detractors will keep criticising him till he moves up. He wants all the belts first, so it is what it is.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt the fake can get out of fighting the Kazak after last nights full court press. Even Oscar said he's be calling K-2 today. Of course he'll just say 155 or no fight but at least he called lol. If they say something like 158 perhaps the Kazak will take it but he should not have to. I have a feeling they are going to get Lemieux to starch out. Still even the Mexican fan base are going to get sick of this.

Alvarez was 177 last night. That means he gained 22 pounds overnight. That's more then Chavez Jr gained.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How do you know what he weighed last night? I thought he didnt get on the scales for the weigh in on the night?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From several people at the fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even though we know that GGG will beat Canelo, we still need to see it for the sake of linage middleweight title and the fact that we want the corporate created manufactured champion battered by the blue collar guy.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson said it best: "Everybody's got plans. Until they get hit."

Amir Khan was almost alone in his belief he could jump two weight divisions and beat one of the most fearsome fighters on the planet in Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.

Even his trainer didn't sound convinced. Most people thought it would play out like it did: Khan would frustrate Alvarez for a few rounds before walking onto a big one.

Virgil Hunter, the man charged with hatching a plan to keep Alvarez at bay for 12 rounds, was distancing himself from the fight the moment it was announced. What madness is this? If you really must. It was your idea, in case anyone asks…

Hunter knew what most people knew, namely that Khan would be able to run but he wouldn't be able to hide.

Alvarez's promoter, Oscar de la Hoya, crudely characterised the fight as "speed versus power". But Alvarez is a little bit more than a club-wielding caveman. The Mexican made adjustments, cut down the ring, found his range, executed his feints and eventually went KABOOM!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/36240559
    Last edited by Master; 05-09-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But just because you told Khan so, there is no need for triumphalism. What Khan did in Las Vegas on Saturday was brave beyond belief and should not be sneered at. If only there were more like him, boxing would be all the brighter.

"Amir Khan is one of the bravest fighters in the world," said De la Hoya. "Maybe he's too brave for his own good but he's willing to be great."

What fight two of the three judges were watching is anyone's guess. One, Glenn Feldman, had the champion 3-2 ahead and another, Glenn Trowbridge, 4-1 ahead when the hammer of Thor brought proceedings to a sudden conclusion. Just about everyone in press row had Khan at least three rounds up.

Maybe the knockout was for the best: had Khan boxed Alvarez's head off for 12 rounds and lost the decision, the pain would have been even worse.

There will be plenty of pain for Khan, and not just physical. Having spent the past two years being teased into thinking he was going to fight first Floyd Mayweather, then Manny Pacquiao, and consequently wishing some of the best years of his career away, this was maybe Khan's last pitch for greatness.

The good news for Khan, and British fight fans, is he can walk straight into a match with Kell Brook, the IBF welterweight champion and his bitter cross-Pennine rival.

For several years, Khan has claimed Brook is not at his level. But that argument becomes more difficult to sustain when there are pictures flying around the world of him flat on his back having been knocked cold for a third time.

Khan might have lost against Alvarez, but he showed enough in defeat to make a fight against Brook compelling. The suspicion is the outcome would be similar.

As for Alvarez, the Mexican boxing royalty sitting ringside - Julio Cesar Chavez, Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez - would surely have approved. There were those in Mexico who doubted Alvarez's potential to join that list of greats, especially after he was outclassed by Mayweather in 2013.

But Alvarez has improved and with more knockouts like that on his show reel, the critics won't - just like Khan on Saturday - have any legs to stand on.

What a way to christen the magnificent new T-Mobile Arena and what a relief for De la Hoya. A couple of years ago his Golden Boy Promotions outfit was in choppy waters and looked like sinking.

But with Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao having announced their retirements following their hugely anti-climactic fight last year, De la Hoya has the face of boxing on his books again.

It's a face De la Hoya knows well, because for many years it was his own. But now De la Hoya faces a dilemma: risk his golden goose against the rabid Gennady Golovkin this autumn or let their beef marinate a little longer?

Kazakhstan's Golovkin, who has a frightening record of 32 knockouts from 35 contests and is the WBA and IBF middleweight champion, was ringside for Alvarez's demolition of Khan and would appear to be up for the fight.

De la Hoya and Alvarez appear to be keen as well. But De la Hoya's assertion that "we have four aces and they have a pair of twos" in the negotiation stakes does not quite ring true.

After beating Khan, Alvarez, a natural light-middleweight, said he was happy to fight Golovkin at the proper middleweight limit of 160lbs, instead of a catch-weight 155lbs. But only a few days ago he poured cold water on the idea of fighting Golovkin, saying the Kazakh hadn't earned the fight. Let's just wait and see how those talks pan out.

For the moment, boxing should reflect on a job well done. It all went just to plan on Saturday, at least for most of us. Khan was bold as brass and rolled the dice, while Alvarez provided the fireworks. Just what Vegas is all about.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Britain's Amir Khan says he has no regrets after his bid for the world middleweight title was ended with a sixth-round knockout by Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in Las Vegas.

Khan, a natural welterweight fighting beyond 147lbs for the first time, started well but was floored by a huge right hand from the defending champion.

The defeat was the 29-year-old's fourth of his 35-fight career.

"This challenge came and it was very hard to turn down," Khan said.

"I want to be the best, I want to fight the best and that's why I took this fight.

"I showed my bravery by getting in the ring with Canelo, but this is boxing. I wanted to go out there as a champion."

Khan jumped two weight divisions to challenge Mexican Alvarez and was bidding to become only the third former light-welterweight world champion to win a middleweight world title.

"I was unfortunate that I didn't make it to the end," he added. "I tried my best and I want to say thank you for the support, but I will probably go down to 147 now."

Alvarez, who has won 33 of his 47 career victories by a knockout, said patience was key to his victory.

"He was a very fast fighter and I knew things would be complicated at the beginning," he said. "But I knew the time would come in my favour.

"Many people talk about my power but I've got many more qualities in the ring. People see that and that's what happened in the ring.

"Someone who comes in to box obviously gives you more trouble.

"But someone who comes in to press and attack you gives you the opportunity for a nice fight."

Thread Information