Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: So who's the next "great American hope" in boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So who's the next "great American hope" in boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Come on Fenster, couldn't you be wrong just this once, please?!
    Wrong about what exactly?

I said Floyd is the most popular fighter in boxing based on facts and figures. How can the most watched and followed fighter not be "fan friendly?" Fans clearly love him.

I never called him an "all American hero." But he clearly has more fans than anyone else.

Some of you seem to have lost the point when the distinction between hardcore and casual fans was made. It really isn't that complex, but I think some people struggle to differentiate between the views of the mass public and their own personal perceptions.

If guys like Floyd and Tyson were so hated (50/50), then explain why they were not booed out of the arena at every fight?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post
    I think Broner is more of a gobshite than Mayweather was at the same stage. Mayweather has reached the pinnacle of his sport we have to expect him to be full of himself.

Broner had a tough fight against Ponce de leon (I think) that some people argued he got a gift from the judges, I haven't seen that fight but one judge gave it to him by 8 points. My point is when people said that Mayweather was lucky against Chavez years ago he rematched him and won convincingly. This would have done wonders for his confidence and skills. Broner hasn't done that.

Broner acts like a prick, I don't see him being held in high regard the same as the Mayeather, JMM's and Pacs are held today. I see him becoming unstuck before then, he'll be dragged in to a relentless pressure fight and will give his 0 away.

The way he got on his knee and made it look like he was going to propose to his girlfriend then asked her to brush his hair. What a twat.
    *castillo

I stand corrected, can't believe I put Chavez

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're right, Spicoli... personality sells as much as ability. Boxing is not wrestling, but unfortunately the same principle applies. Maybe "Money" Mayweather is not such a bad guy deep inside, and he's just using his bad boy personna to sell tickets. He's got the ability to go along with the personality, so good for him. But like IamInuit said and I agree... there's been a slow, steady shift throughout the years where now we expect our heroes to be controversial bad boys. In and out of jail.... etc, etc. To be sure, there's been tremendous fighters (i.e. - stars) that haven't needed any of this B.S. to be universally liked and successful. You mentioned Mosley. There's a good example. Save for his issues with PED use, which a lot of fans won't forgive him for...... Shane always came across as a "good guy." When did you ever see Shane embroiled in a weigh-in push and shove contest?

I keep mentioning Sugar Ray Leonard. Maybe it's because back then... you didn't NEED any of these shenanigans to be popular with the masses. You just had to be good and exciting to watch.

You mentioned Ward. He's a wonderfully gifted fighter, with some impressive wins on this record. Why isn't he a household name, like Floyd? I dunno.... maybe it's the weight division he resides in.... maybe it's the lack of big names around him.... maybe it's his bland personality. Who knows?

Unlike some people here, I don't measure boxers solely on their PPV numbers. It's a matter of personal choice. I'll respect those who choose to use that as a measuring stick.... but I'll stick to my own criteria.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sugar Ray Leonard is not a typical character, American or not with which to compare other boxers. His clean cut image, insistence on getting a good education and virtually having to be convinced to turn pro after a glittering amateur career are anything but commonplace amongst his fighting brethren. It is also not necessary for the USA to provide a new boxing superstar for the sport to thrive internationally.

The sad fact is the shallow and dumb money mayweather caricature that Floyd employs is admired and respected by many equally blinkered wannabe flash Harry's who do pay to watch him fight, hoping that he wins and legitimises their own belief that money trumps everything.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While it's "not necessary for the USA to provide a new boxing superstar for the sport to thrive internationally".... it is necessary in order to raise the popularity of boxing in the US, which is a major player in the global boxing world. Not to mention the country with the biggest financial power in the boxing world. But you and Fenster probably need for someone other than myself to say that..... so I'll invite some of the other posters, such as Lyle, who you probably believe more than myself, to say the same thing.

I never claimed Sugar Ray Leonard was a "typical character". I said Sugar Ray Leonard was a household name back in the day when boxers didn't need to have the "bad boy" image to attract fans. But again, please don't take my word for it. Ask someone else you DO believe.

And yes.... Floyd's flashy character is a model for wannabes who want to emulate him in and out of the ring. Ergo your Broners, your Judahs, etc, etc. It's what sells nowadays.

I stick to my original point. When will the next American superstar arrive that will lift boxing in the U.S.? Americans are hungry for such a person. Floyd sells a lot of PPV.... but fans would embrace another Sugar Ray Leonard just as much, if not more.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

And I'll accept my obvious lack of common sense as well.

Thanks.

Fixed it for you.

(Note to self: Remember to ask Saddo about his declining standards for choosing his forum mods.)
    And i'll ask Saddo to check out your post history to see the amount of people you argue with and insult on this board.

Please don't ruin yet another thread.

Thanks.

Go ahead. Maybe you'll even get him to ban me.

Fact is..... you're an abrasive, cyber-abusive twerp who hardly gets along with anybody yourself. @Violent Demise and I have only one thing in common in life. We both dislike your arrogant ass. We dislike each other also, but that's another story.
    Speak for your fucking self. We have nothing in common. I disagree with Fenster. About half the time. Doesn't mean I dislike him (he's 3/12 too). It just means I don't agree with half the shit he says. There's a diffrence.

The fact that you don't like me doesn't mean I dislike you. It don't work that way. I don't acknowledge you enough to give a fuck about you. So how am I going to dislike you? You wanna take the effort to like and hate certain posters on a "online forum", go right ahead

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While it's "not necessary for the USA to provide a new boxing superstar for the sport to thrive internationally".... it is necessary in order to raise the popularity of boxing in the US, which is a major player in the global boxing world. Not to mention the country with the biggest financial power in the boxing world. But you and Fenster probably need for someone other than myself to say that..... so I'll invite some of the other posters, such as Lyle, who you probably believe more than myself, to say the same thing.

I never claimed Sugar Ray Leonard was a "typical character". I said Sugar Ray Leonard was a household name back in the day when boxers didn't need to have the "bad boy" image to attract fans. But again, please don't take my word for it. Ask someone else you DO believe.

And yes.... Floyd's flashy character is a model for wannabes who want to emulate him in and out of the ring. Ergo your Broners, your Judahs, etc, etc. It's what sells nowadays.

I stick to my original point. When will the next American superstar arrive that will lift boxing in the U.S.? Americans are hungry for such a person. Floyd sells a lot of PPV.... but fans would embrace another Sugar Ray Leonard just as much, if not more.
    Why is every thing a confrontation with you ? I am quite aware what a household name Leonard was and don't need to take anyone's word for it? The fact is you probably will not get another SRL because those days are gone. SRL along with many boxers of his generation had far less competition for the publics attention and boxing itself will never hold that type of grip on the publics imagination again. The saviour you hope for would find a largely apathetic audience more interested in team sports, videogames and reality TV stars than following his career trajectory, coupled with opponents eager to avoid him and sanctioning bodies and Tv companies doing their darndest to prevent him from unifying and taking on all comers.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks.

Fixed it for you.

(Note to self: Remember to ask Saddo about his declining standards for choosing his forum mods.)
    And i'll ask Saddo to check out your post history to see the amount of people you argue with and insult on this board.

Thanks.

Fact is..... you're an abrasive, cyber-abusive twerp who hardly gets along with anybody yourself. @Violent Demise and I have only one thing in common in life. We both dislike your arrogant ass. We dislike each other also, but that's another story.

And if we're going to count the people that "argue with" and "insult" other people on this board..... start by looking in the mirror. Then I suggest you have a calculator handy, because I doubt you can count that high.

Stop trolling my threads. You dislike me because I ridicule your obsession with the likes of Princess Naseem.... and probably because you don't like opinionated non-British characters. That's YOUR problem.

Every time you come into one of my topics intending to ridicule me with your cute "one-liners"..... I'll respond in kind and expose you for the ignorant, condescending asshole you really are.

@TitoFan man you are the most offensive weaner on the whole forum by a country mile.
    You are also Racist
    Homophobic
    and condascending to the nnth degree

Hope this helps.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post

Thanks.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks.

And if we're going to count the people that "argue with" and "insult" other people on this board..... start by looking in the mirror. Then I suggest you have a calculator handy, because I doubt you can count that high.

Stop trolling my threads. You dislike me because I ridicule your obsession with the likes of Princess Naseem.... and probably because you don't like opinionated non-British characters. That's YOUR problem.

Every time you come into one of my topics intending to ridicule me with your cute "one-liners"..... I'll respond in kind and expose you for the ignorant, condescending asshole you really are.

@TitoFan man you are the most offensive weaner on the whole forum by a country mile.
    You are also Racist
    Homophobic
    and condascending to the nnth degree

Hope this helps.

And you have your head up so far Fenster's ass, you need 4 feet of hose just so you can breathe. And if you're going to throw around accusations, asshole, I expect you to back them up. Show me one fucking post where I've demonstrated to be homophobic. ONE. Racist? You don't know the meaning of the word.

But condescending? Absolutely. That's the only way I bother to address an insignificant twerp such as yourself.

BTW, I have very little respect for someone who shamelessly asks for help and support from other posters by using the "mentions". But since you can't carry an argument by yourself, you have to "tag" your little friends (or friend, in this case), to help you throw insults at me.

And also BTW, you started on this forum as an abrasive, insulting, asshole who pissed everybody off. But you changed your tune to a blatant brown-noser, kissing up to the veteran posters so they could come to your defense. You also troll my threads and jump into arguments where you don't belong. THEN you have the nerve to accuse ME of trolling.

You're a fucking joke.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I use mentions because it is courteous to make people aware when you are discussing them. I don't use them for backup. My posting style has not changed one iota, from the start. I have had arguments with Miles and Bilbo because I disagreed with them and mainly with Bilbo because he became personal, trite and offensive with his pseudo intellectual approach. You are condescending with ANYBODY who fails to agree or suck up to you. Irony and sarcasm go completely over your head and everything becomes a personal insult in your eyes. You project a blind nationalistic biased tint onto posts by British and Mexican forum members that simply isn't there and then use homoerotic imagery as though adults quite secure in their own sexuality are going to be offended and respond in kind. No one is biting mate, maybe you should get off your high horse or at least try stepping down a couple rungs before jumping to conclusions.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I use mentions because it is courteous to make people aware when you are discussing them. I don't use them for backup. My posting style has not changed one iota, from the start. I have had arguments with Miles and Bilbo because I disagreed with them and mainly with Bilbo because he became personal, trite and offensive with his pseudo intellectual approach. You are condescending with ANYBODY who fails to agree or suck up to you. Irony and sarcasm go completely over your head and everything becomes a personal insult in your eyes. You project a blind nationalistic biased tint onto posts by British and Mexican forum members that simply isn't there and then use homoerotic imagery as though adults quite secure in their own sexuality are going to be offended and respond in kind. No one is biting mate, maybe you should get off your high horse or at least try stepping down a couple rungs before jumping to conclusions.

Quit speaking for the whole forum and speak for yourself. Get some backbone and borrow a set of balls if you don't have any. You blatantly beg for support whether you realize and accept it, or not. Like I said in another thread... there are some very obvious cliques here. You've made damn sure to be inducted in one of them. You think because this is mainly a British forum, that everyone is going to come running to your aid when you cry for help. You also think it gives you a license to be abrasive and condescending, the very things you accuse me of. Then... as is your M.O., you go off and post some "Isn't life beautiful" thread somewhere else so people can develop sympathy for you. "Blind nationalistic biased tint"? Don't be so naive, kid. Many people on here suffer from the same disease, including yourself. I also asked you to produce one post which proves I'm "homophobic". You can't, because other than the sexual jokes many people throw around, there isn't anything I've ever said that proves I'm homophobic. Again... if you're gonna throw around accusations, back them up. Show me one fucking post where I've said I'm homophobic or racist. You can't, can you? Maybe your little friend can help you with that one.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@TitoFan seeing as you clearly have issues maybe you would care to start a thread somewhere other than here on BOXING talk in which to vent them. I apologise for using the mention feature @TitoFan as so excellently suggested by @CutMeMick but I did so in order to make it clear it was not resevervd for posters like @Fenster with whom you seem to think I am I'm collusion along with @Violent Demise or anyone else who does not blow smoke up your...

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@TitoFan seeing as you clearly have issues maybe you would care to start a thread somewhere other than here on BOXING talk in which to vent them. I apologise for using the mention feature @TitoFan as so excellently suggested by @CutMeMick but I did so in order to make it clear it was not resevervd for posters like @Fenster with whom you seem to think I am I'm collusion along with @Violent Demise or anyone else who does not blow smoke up your...

Apology accepted.
    Now please refrain from any other posts on this thread that do not pertain to the subject originally intended.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre Ward. If he knocked people out he might be able to sell out his home arena but if he was exactly the same fighter he is now but had a Mayweather/Broner-style mouth on him he'd be a PPV fighter now. Without the hype and the headlines boxing is just two guys beating each other up and to turn fights from two guys beating each other up into events that people will discuss around the water cooler and pay fifty plus dollars to watch you've got to have braggadocio, controversy, arrogance, bad behaviour and so on.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not disputing what you're saying... but don't you think the promoting side bears some responsibility as well? I think promoters in general have done a piss poor job in promoting someone like Andre Ward. I also think the division itself doesn't help, in the sense that there's lesser known quality at that weight than at a more popular weight, like welter or middle. But yeah... unfortunately Andre's personality doesn't help promote him. It's refreshing to see someone like Andre, but many fans aren't going to tune in unless he starts acting like a jerk and calling people out.

Thread Information