Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default About Cotto

I know his going to beat Tony, Cotto is the best welterweight hands down even including floyd. we all know floyd is very skilled but is that really enough? well thats why we have the fight. What happens next for cotto though after he beats tony, who else is there? floyd? well if floyd does not fight him. can cotto move up? to 154? maybe a big fight with oscar? I do not think he has any weight issue. Will it benefit cotto legecy wise to move up and or keep moving up like great p4p fighters? or should he stay at 147 for the rest of his career? will that be the best for his legecy or will we see a middleweight cotto in the future. honestly the thought of a middleweight cotto is scary. his still young and i hope his still growing and getting better. Cotto may be stuck fighting lesser oppenents in the future if nobody steps up and gets better. 147 does not seem to be gaining anymore stars in the future, 154 does not really have anybody. well 160? that may be way to far up for cotto, but maybe in 2 years. he is in fact still young. I think cotto is the future p4p king.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: About Cotto

Why would he move from welterweight, one of the most stacked divisions in boxing, where he is a very impressive fighter to the baron wastelands of 154 and 160? Unless it was for an Oscar fight, it doesn't make sense. A middleweight Cotto is scary? A welterweight Cotto is scary. It's not like the lower weights where you can keep going and going, many, many welterweights have failed when they attempted to move up to 160 and it's because the guys are so big there.

Paul Williams, Andre Berto, Mayweather (possibly) and I'm sure more will come along. But that's at least and probably more if he can score Mayweather, a year's worth of work there.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Why would he move from welterweight, one of the most stacked divisions in boxing, where he is a very impressive fighter to the baron wastelands of 154 and 160? Unless it was for an Oscar fight, it doesn't make sense. A middleweight Cotto is scary? A welterweight Cotto is scary. It's not like the lower weights where you can keep going and going, many, many welterweights have failed when they attempted to move up to 160 and it's because the guys are so big there.

Paul Williams, Andre Berto, Mayweather (possibly) and I'm sure more will come along. But that's at least and probably more if he can score Mayweather, a year's worth of work there.
    No kidding. There are so many good fights if he just keeps winning at Welter, as compared to absolutely nobody at 154 and some big, big punchers like Pavlik and Abraham at middle. I think Ray Leonard was the last guy to fight at Welterweight and actually become the undisputed middleweight champion? Could very well be wrong but I'm really not drawing any names at the moment even before that. Obviouly SRR but who has done it between the two?, anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say Cotto should clean the Welters then get a title at 154 for his 3rd division championship if feasible before he retires BUT definitely stay away from 160.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Floyd should have fought Cotto but like he says there is always someone else to beat. I hate it when great fighters get knocked when they are doing there own thing showing style and skill yet get called punks ever single time a guy comes up that can punch. Im not labeling Cotto as another fighter but people jump ship everytime a young guy comes along that can bomb and the nearest (in weight terms) great champion all of a sudden lacks heart, would get killed, has no punch......

Boxing fans are the most fickle of any sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course I am rooting for Cotto next Saturday. However, I have butterflies a week before the fight because this will be the first time that Cotto will be facing an opponent who has the edge physically over him. I know boxing is more than physical ability such as power, strength, and stamina, and I know Cotto is no slouch in these departments either, but Margarito is definitely going to push Cotto to put on his best performance ever. Margarito is the one who is going to make the fight, meaning, Cotto's response (box or brawl) will be based on Margarito and what he brings into the ring that night physically. If Cotto can take Margarito's power, then he will brawl. If Margarito hits too hard, then Cotto will box more. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Win or lose for both of these fighters will just better them IMO, and fight fans will appreciate them for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto will have to find a way to get and stay inside. I don't know if Cotto has been hit by anyone as Tony hits. Cotto is the best from 160 down and it will show at the fight. 6-7 rd. ko for Cotto still undefeated.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    Win or lose for both of these fighters will just better them IMO, and fight fans will appreciate them for it.

They're both proud warriors... and they both leave it all out in the ring. Both Puerto Rico and Mexico can be proud of being represented by fighters such as those.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Instead of moving up a weight why not back down? Ricky Hattons there and that is where he is at his most affective. People are shunning the fight saying that Hatton is not a good welterweight well i'm pretty sure with the right diet Cotto can still make 140 and take on Hatton in what would be a very lucrative fight for both fighters. Just a thought but he has to get past Tony first which will not be an easy fight by any stretch of the imagination but I voted for him 2 weeks ago to win by decision and i'm sticking by it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Instead of moving up a weight why not back down? Ricky Hattons there and that is where he is at his most affective. People are shunning the fight saying that Hatton is not a good welterweight well i'm pretty sure with the right diet Cotto can still make 140 and take on Hatton in what would be a very lucrative fight for both fighters. Just a thought but he has to get past Tony first which will not be an easy fight by any stretch of the imagination but I voted for him 2 weeks ago to win by decision and i'm sticking by it.
    Cotto was "killing" himself to make 140 toward the end of his stay there. There's no way he'd go back. I think the days of Cotto-Hatton have gone by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mexirican View Post
    Cotto will have to find a way to get and stay inside. I don't know if Cotto has been hit by anyone as Tony hits. Cotto is the best from 160 down and it will show at the fight. 6-7 rd. ko for Cotto still undefeated.

Why would Cotto stay inside against a guy whos only real hope of winning is to fight on the inside?

Cotto will box Marg.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post

Why would Cotto stay inside against a guy whos only real hope of winning is to fight on the inside?

Cotto will box Marg.
    I think it's a little of both. Cotto needs to get inside to punish Margo to the body, since we all know how hard Tony's chin is. Tony's punches are long, which means Cotto can smother his punches when working on the inside. On the other hand, Cotto needs to mix it up, 'cause Tony would probably find a way to sneak in an uppercut if Cotto stays inside too long. Cotto needs to: a) attack the body early, and b) mix it up with his speed and jab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Cotto will box Marg.
    I think it's a little of both. Cotto needs to get inside to punish Margo to the body, since we all know how hard Tony's chin is. Tony's punches are long, which means Cotto can smother his punches when working on the inside. On the other hand, Cotto needs to mix it up, 'cause Tony would probably find a way to sneak in an uppercut if Cotto stays inside too long. Cotto needs to: a) attack the body early, and b) mix it up with his speed and jab.

I see Cotto using his speed and skill to outbox Marg in this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto will box Marg.
    Markus , how can you say that Cotto that has less reach will going to outbox Margaro with 5-6 inches more of reach , that doesnt have sense my friend , that is what im trying to explain on previous post , if Cotto mix some of his skills boxing is OK , but we never can imagine him outboxing Margaro in all fight bro , either in backwards movements , that could be an advantage for Margaro , if you want to punish your opponent with your great body punches with less reach , how can you hit that opponent ? on outside ? Think on that Markus..........................

And i dont know how can you give more possibility to Margaro winnning on inside , Cotto has more advantage by his shorts reach , it would be more effective than Margaro shots......................
    Last edited by Macho; 07-20-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Thread Information