Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Aftermath and repercussions of Obama victory

You know.... a woman running over her husband because he didn't vote against Obama is one thing.
    But this talk of secession by some butthurt states?? It's freaking ridiculous.
    And YET..... secession talk is child's play compared to THIS:

Coal company fires 150 workers in response to Obama re-election - Business on NBCNews.com

You have GOT to be fucking KIDDING ME!!!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The reaction to Obama's reelection has been unprecedented. States talking of recession... companies laying off employees in some sort of sick, twisted, vengeful manner... etc, etc, etc.

Seriously, how is a President supposed to get a fair shake in an attempt to direct the country on the path to prosperity? The President is calling for unity, and he's got half the country trying to defect. WTF is wrong with people nowadays?

Lyle, I'm sure you'll have some witty response as to why all of this is ok... but it still reeks to the rest of us. WTF is this?
    Seriously.

Whatever happened to the democratic process? You have elections... the people vote for their candidate... the candidate with the most electoral votes wins... the country MOVES ON. It's been this way since the Stone Age. Why the epic butthurt... to paraphrase @Youngblood ?

Is any of this supposed to help fix the country? I thought the U.S. was bigger than that. You know that TV commercial where the white guy named Michael Jordan gets a bunch of disappointed "oh"s from pizza delivery guys, restaurantiers, limo drivers... who were expecting the "real" Michael?

Well.... that's about the same reaction the rest of the world must be having to these silly, stupid antics by the butthurt rightists.

"Oh."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's all quite tragic.

America is a messed up place and rather than uniting on the issues that matter you have a bunch of muppets making the most oddball proclamations and acting in quite bizarre ways.

It just makes me laugh really, but I know I shouldn't.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only a few thousand signatures? Get back to me when it's a few million and it's seriously being discussed by those state's legislatures. This is chicken little the sky is falling stuff.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I think secessionist talk is silly but I don't find it surprising. As a nation we are becoming less and less homogeneous in all aspects of culture and policy while having more and more broad national policies. It seems pretty normal to me for portions of this country to feel completely disconnected from others. With people in California getting up in arms over Wisconsin labor laws, people in Pennsylvania wringing their hands over Arizona immigration laws, someone in Michigan bitching about Florida gun laws and people in Texas talking about what Bloomberg is going to ban next, what we really need is for people to mind their own damn business and for the feds to respect the 10th amendment.
    There's no need to worry, even Texas is going to become Democratic soon :

Could Texas Become a Blue State? : The New Yorker
    I'm not sure what you think soon is. It is possible for a shift but neither you nor the author seem to be all that familiar with Mexican culture in Texas. I think to count the Hispanic vote in Texas as a foregone conclusion for the Dems is pretty ignorant. It could swing that way but once the issue of immigration is put to bed there won't be a divisve issue to leverage. If the GOP steps on their dick on immigration then they will have a serious problem on the horizon. If they are able to provide a coherent non-antagonistic message then I'd expect a return to Bush type voting numbers for the Hispanics in Texas. Culturally Hispanics in Texas are very family oriented, religious, hard working and have a strong entrepeneurship streak. These qualities aren't a gimme for either party but are similar to other GOP voting blocks.
    It's not me and it's not the author, it's top GOP officials in Texas who are saying this. They're saying it's a foregone conclusion. I'm sure you read the article. I know Lyle didn't as it contains a lot more than 140 characters. There's also this, by a Texas newspaper that says Democrats are currently shaving five and a half points off the Republican majority every four years and will win by 2024.

Exclusive analysis: If trends hold, Texas will be a toss-up state by 2024 | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

Jeb Bush says Texas will be a blue state in four years. That's obviously going to make a huge difference at national level but also at state level as Tejanos vote for better local services and tax increases to pay for them. ¿As a Tejano, how does that make you feel? ¿Would you think about moving to another state?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyway, Texas and all of the southern states will be voting Democratic in the next presidential election. We're going to fix it so that the GOP can't get back in and fuck the economy up ever again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think secessionist talk is silly but I don't find it surprising. As a nation we are becoming less and less homogeneous in all aspects of culture and policy while having more and more broad national policies. It seems pretty normal to me for portions of this country to feel completely disconnected from others. With people in California getting up in arms over Wisconsin labor laws, people in Pennsylvania wringing their hands over Arizona immigration laws, someone in Michigan bitching about Florida gun laws and people in Texas talking about what Bloomberg is going to ban next, what we really need is for people to mind their own damn business and for the feds to respect the 10th amendment.

I'm not sure what you think soon is. It is possible for a shift but neither you nor the author seem to be all that familiar with Mexican culture in Texas. I think to count the Hispanic vote in Texas as a foregone conclusion for the Dems is pretty ignorant. It could swing that way but once the issue of immigration is put to bed there won't be a divisve issue to leverage. If the GOP steps on their dick on immigration then they will have a serious problem on the horizon. If they are able to provide a coherent non-antagonistic message then I'd expect a return to Bush type voting numbers for the Hispanics in Texas. Culturally Hispanics in Texas are very family oriented, religious, hard working and have a strong entrepeneurship streak. These qualities aren't a gimme for either party but are similar to other GOP voting blocks.
    It's not me and it's not the author, it's top GOP officials in Texas who are saying this. They're saying it's a foregone conclusion. I'm sure you read the article. I know Lyle didn't as it contains a lot more than 140 characters. There's also this, by a Texas newspaper that says Democrats are currently shaving five and a half points off the Republican majority every four years and will win by 2024.

Exclusive analysis: If trends hold, Texas will be a toss-up state by 2024 | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

Jeb Bush says Texas will be a blue state in four years. That's obviously going to make a huge difference at national level but also at state level as Tejanos vote for better local services and tax increases to pay for them. ¿As a Tejano, how does that make you feel? ¿Would you think about moving to another state?
    I think that Cruz and the like are doing a lot of handwringing over the election. Who cares what Jeb Bush thinks either? How is he an authority on Texas voting. The guy has nothign to do with politics in Texas. I think the Texas GOP see the importance in not antagonizing our Hispanic population and are vastly overstating the issue in hopes to change the message. I think Dems in Texas a getting excited that possibly they won't be a complete after thought in the Lone Star state and want to promote some marginal gains. I seriously doubt that Texas votes blue in 2016 regardless of what happens politically and even if your suggested scenario comes true I have no intention of leaving Texas (unless the Army tells me to). The best thing about Texas is we have a weak Governor and our legislation only meets every 2 years. GOP or Dem they don't get a lot of opportunity to screw things up. People here tend to be a Texan first regardless of political affiliation so even a blue Texas won't look anything like the failures you see in other blue states. I'll say it again though, you are counting your eggs before they have hatced to assume a definitive Hispanic voting block for the Dems moving forward or to assume that Texas Democrats closely resemble the national party.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightpole? :-)

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    You know.... a woman running over her husband because he didn't vote against Obama is one thing.

Coal company fires 150 workers in response to Obama re-election - Business on NBCNews.com

Obama said he was going to bankrupt the coal industry. "If someone wants to build a coal powered plant they can, but it will bankrupt them" his own words, his own policies.....don't act surprised when he told everyone what he was going to do and the coal company is just preparing for Obama to make good on his promises.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Cruz and the like are doing a lot of handwringing over the election. Who cares what Jeb Bush thinks either? How is he an authority on Texas voting. The guy has nothign to do with politics in Texas. I think the Texas GOP see the importance in not antagonizing our Hispanic population and are vastly overstating the issue in hopes to change the message. I think Dems in Texas a getting excited that possibly they won't be a complete after thought in the Lone Star state and want to promote some marginal gains. I seriously doubt that Texas votes blue in 2016 regardless of what happens politically and even if your suggested scenario comes true I have no intention of leaving Texas (unless the Army tells me to). The best thing about Texas is we have a weak Governor and our legislation only meets every 2 years. GOP or Dem they don't get a lot of opportunity to screw things up. People here tend to be a Texan first regardless of political affiliation so even a blue Texas won't look anything like the failures you see in other blue states. I'll say it again though, you are counting your eggs before they have hatced to assume a definitive Hispanic voting block for the Dems moving forward or to assume that Texas Democrats closely resemble the national party.
    I think these guys know what they're talking about. I'm no expert on Texas politics and demographics but I'm willing to take the word of a GOP Senator and the chairman of the Texas GOP when they say Texas becoming Democratic is a foregone conclusion.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course you do Kirk. I've lived here my whole life but hey some post election political projections must be the gospel.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course you do Kirk. I've lived here my whole life but hey some post election political projections must be the gospel.
    Those guys have lived in Tejas all their lives and they do polirtics and demographics for a living, right?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No they haven't lived here all their lives. Regardless, a sky is falling article post election isn't exactly a hard and fast study. I got it though, as usual you found some articles that support your world view and my personal experience is anecdotal.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Obama said he was going to bankrupt the coal industry. "If someone wants to build a coal powered plant they can, but it will bankrupt them" his own words, his own policies.....don't act surprised when he told everyone what he was going to do and the coal company is just preparing for Obama to make good on his promises.

So chief exec Murray decided to do a preemptive strike on the poor bastards that worked for him?
    Sounds like a sound, business, humanitarian move to me.

Never mind trying to outplace these people. Never mind their needs. I'm fucking pissed off that Obama won... so I'll show HIM... I'll just fire all my own people.

"The hurricane is coming and it may damage my house... so I'll just blow the fucking thing up and not give the hurricane the satisfaction of blowing it down".

Give it up, Lyle. You know this is a bullshit move, just like all the bullshit secession talk that's going on.
    Just like @Youngblood said...... epic butthurt.

El Kabong Guest

So chief exec Murray decided to do a preemptive strike on the poor bastards that worked for him?
    Sounds like a sound, business, humanitarian move to me.

Never mind trying to outplace these people. Never mind their needs. I'm fucking pissed off that Obama won... so I'll show HIM... I'll just fire all my own people.

"The hurricane is coming and it may damage my house... so I'll just blow the fucking thing up and not give the hurricane the satisfaction of blowing it down".

Give it up, Lyle. You know this is a bullshit move, just like all the bullshit secession talk that's going on.
    Just like @Youngblood said...... epic butthurt.

LOL, you don't get it do you? As the owner of the business that is directly in the crosshairs of the President he probably tightened the belt in order to prepare his company to survive for the next 4 years. You don't run a business do you? I've met with friends and they had deals that were surefire things go belly up after the election....is it because the people are racist? Are they bitter? Well they might be bitter at the thought of a lost opportunity but they wouldn't cut off their nose to spite their face because at the end of the day their job as owner of a business is to MAKE MONEY.

But hey, I'm glad you liberals think it's all just a case of "butthurt", if that makes you feel better and keeps you feeling all warm & fuzzy on the inside as the economy slows to a grinding halt then that's fine. You call me out for generalizing when I show the guy gaming the welfare system but you're telling me that this guy who owns the Coal company and everyone else not making deals after the election is just on account of "butthurt".....that's rich man, quite funny.

Thread Information