Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighters between the 30's and 80's- better physical shape!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters between the 30's and 80's- better physical shape!

Max Power clearly watches the bodies far more than I do, or anyone else here for that matter. I digress!!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Max Power clearly watches the bodies far more than I do, or anyone else here for that matter. I digress!!
    You may be onto something there.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    That has to be a fact. I can't tell you how disappointed I am, particularly with the Super Middleweights and up, to see how non chiselled and less toned these guys are.

Geez... has anyone seen that? Guys from that era if fighting and training in these days and times would cream anyone from this era just on the sheer physical conditioning.

Have you ever seen a guy like Sonny Liston train?? Training and calisthenics are insane. He had great agility, and back then he was seen as one of the least agile and mobile heavyweights of that time. No wonder why he was a champion, when you see him train BACK THEN!!

Guys like Chavez Jr., Andy Ruiz, Tyson Fury, Clifford Etienne, Chisora, Riddick Bowe, DeGale, Maidana, etc... are just depressing.

Best in shape guys these days that appear non-steroidal are Mayweather Jr., Bryant Jennings and GGG.

But, Pac, Mosely, Wilder, etc.... look roided up man.
    Its always puzzled me. All this talk abound the inroads and changes/improvements made to the sport and athletes. Like what?

Nutrition. An overblown lump of coal. Designed more around effective weight loss and stability then to the engine.
    17 divisions instead of 8- Claimed to be a counter to the size disparity of the species but in reality it was to increase sanctioning fee collections and give fighters in many cases an unfair weight advantage.
    Day before weigh ins- This allows the 17 divisions to operate as intended and the weight cheats to operate with impunity. People showing up 20 or 30 pounds heavier then their weight class the night of the fight is bullshit plain and simple.
    Better training and science- Another crock. The same training that worked then works now and all the technology and fancy devices are window dressing and that's why most fighters that have success use the same methods from past eras.
    More belts-The theory....to long a waiting list for those waiting for a shot. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What has it actually done? Its watered down a drenched system to the point of root rot. There are more titles then worthy champions.
    Activity level-What activity level? With few exceptions maybe a fight or two a year with a bunch of crying about where and whose name appears first on the banner.
    Technique-All show no go.
    The primadonna effect- There are more in boxing then the freakin music industry.
    Fuel consumption-Why is it all of these guys are gassed by round 6? Could it be because of those things mentioned above?

To be clear I still love the sport but its things like the British and Mexican domestic scenes that keep me captivated these days. It seems once a fighter has an ounce of success it all changes. The same kind of work ethic and desire to get there leaves once you arrive.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What fighters today are gassed by bloody 6 rounds? How ridiculous. They can all fight hard for 12 rounds you fool! They have to! The only reason a fighter would gas earlier than that is if he was pushed way too hard!

Previous boxers back in your precious 15 round eras gassed too you know that, oh and not just in rounds 13-15 either, no no no.

The best olden fays fighters used to fight fresh about as energetically as the current ones do when they are gassed, that's closer the truth.

Once again, quit whinging and moaning about it @IamInuit because it is never going back to the face first feather fist era.

All of the top boxers are on steroids, and it is absolutely moronic to look at Mayweather for example and believe for a second he is not on drugs. So be it, it's never going back either!

Activity? 3 times a year is to be expected. Recovery periods, 12 week camps prior to a fight, welcome to the world of TOP LEVEL PROFESSIONAL BOXING! You can still see your very high frequency today. It's called "right at the start of the career" when the level of opposition, is about equal to the level of TOP OPPOSITION of yesteryear!

OBVIOUSLY you can fight such low grade opponents like your old favourites did more often because they didn't require the same, if any, preparation. Today's challengers are so good it's a serious business each fight. And we all know what would happen to your old warriors if they tried to accomplish those rates against modern opposition. There would be a sea of entries onto the L column on their records.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Max can you go away again? Feather fisted? You are laughable.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Max can you go away again? Feather fisted? You are laughable.
    My school assignments are nearly up to date so I've a little time.

And same old bashing of my era of fighters for no other real reason but sour grapes.

Yes your right, your old fav's were the most powerful specimens in the business that todays elite boxing athletes simply couldn't hold a candle to.

What with there complete lack of training and all that. The S&C coach is simply hired to show them the correct way to eat a hamburger obviously.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watched Orlando Solis yesterday. What an athlete. What desire. What dedication.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting.

Fighters gas out from yesteryear & today. Berto for example tires out. Hopkins proved that Pascal passes 4 rounds and he is fighting on heart the next 8. Steve Cunningham another current muscular fighter can go 12 rounds, but usually is throwing arm punches 6-12.

Then take a muscular guy like Ken Norton from yesteryear and a non-toned Holmes and they threw more & harder punches in the 15th, than most HW's do in the first round. Once again that wasn't a fight of nutrition- rather a fight of attrition.

Margarito & Paul Williams known for throwing 100 punches per round, both rather thin & neither depended on current science or nutritionists to accomplish it. So those 2 fighters are proof IMO they would've hung with the 80's fighters like Arguello & Pryor who threw nonstop incessant punches.

And we all know Arguello for that; earned the nickname ETM aka explosive thin man. Did that mean he was in better shape? Or was that just his nature? To fight his ass off? Pryor later talked about how he was molested, kinfolk/ family that were murdered-so when he fought, there was a rage in him. Nothing at all that made him more athletic than today's fighters. Pryor was in shape, but he fought with a rage and later stated it.

Another of my favorites from yesteryear that fought nonstop with wreck less abandoned is Johnny Tapia.
    He fought with energy to burn- but we all know he got drunk, high and who knows what else. So it wasn't that he fought well because he was in better shape than today's fighters. He fought that way because he had an inner rage in him.
    Other skinny dudes like Livingston Bramble, or a small Mancini, they fought with a lot of energy, but does that mean they were in better shape than todays?
    Floyd Mayweather is a superb athlete and could fight all night. Not because he takes advantage of the supplements today- it's his demeanor -his way of life. If Floyd fought in the 60'sm, same deal IMO.
    Now a RJJ? He had a sculptured body that seemed to define: today's supplements. I think he was on something because today where has that body gone? He has no definition, no lean muscle mass. ever since he got busted for that stuff that is in Ripped Fuel-he surely has become IMO the poster boy for today's stuff. No reason why RJJ who doesn't do drugs, drink alcohol, doesn't eat pork chops, possum-gravy, fatback, hog maul, chicken-feet and chitterlings should have a deflated looking body.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://socalboxing.files.wordpress....nginring11.jpg

What you mean THIS^^ Antonio Margarito?? LOL Yeah nah, there's nothing modern goin on there with that training. I mean, EVERY pre80's boxer sported 0% body fat didn't they?

And "Larry Holmes etc, throwing harder punches in the 15th than today's boxers in the early rounds"

LOL You mean THIS Larry Holmes?

http://www.everlast.com.gr/pics/larry-holmes.png

Funny I've heard Larry mentioned in many constellations but "power" is never one of them until now.

Lennox Lewis

Thread Information