Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The Super Six and it's wider possibilities.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Super Six and it's wider possibilities.

There has been a fair share of praise and criticism over the Super Six tournament.
    The judging and reffing has been pretty much on par with the norm in professional boxing.

The big question I would like to pose is would you like to see it on other weight classes? and if so which ones? if not, what would you like to see changed about the way the tournament works? Would you like to make sure a tourney like this never happens again?

For me personally I want to see good fights, at the end of the day if someone unifies some alphabet straps or becomes a lineal champ thats a bonus.

I think the tourney format would be perfect for a division like Light Welter where there is tons of talent, but not a clear champ.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Super Six and it's wider possibilities.

I think this tournament is awesome for the sport and it does make good fights which we might otherwise not have seen and yeah i'd love to see it in light welter and welterweight where the divison is just stacked with great fighters yet the figths dont seem to be happening! Also does anyone think it would be good at light heavy? Dawson, Pascal, Cloud heck even whack Johnson in there! The whole super six is aces in my books keep em coming!
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the whole concept of the Super Six is great, and in a division like light-welter where there are some top fighters it would guarentee great fights - I think thats all any of us want to see. I think light-welter and welterweight would make great tourneys, maybe even a lightweight one. I think its a great idea that should be used in other divisions. Just as long as the idea isn't beaten to death like they've done with prizefighter and we don't see these tournemants cropping up all over the place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love the Super six, i think it's great for the sport. It would be great at 140 lbs. It's great seeing the best fighters in the division going at it. If they can continue to be fair with the fight locations, then i think it will be a good thing. I'm a little curuios to see if Green will get a home town fight in his next bout.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it throws the best of the best in the mix together it's all good.
    Last edited by Kel; 04-16-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the best thing that could happen would be if a loss didn't mean the end of the world for some fighters. That would encourage fighters to seek out the best opponents. Too much emphasis placed on having an unbeaten record.

Edit: I'm talking in Boxing in general, not in the super six
    Last edited by ono; 04-16-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really enjoy the Super Six, it's a great tournament, I'm just disappointed at how little publicity it gets over here.

I was talking to somebody over here today who is a casual boxing fan. He was talking about Haye Klitschko and Mayweather Mosely and said he was looking forward to both fights.

When I told him Carl Froch was fighting Kessler in the Super Six in a couple weeks he just gave me a blank look.

He had no idea who Carl Froch was, or no idea what the Super Six was.

Ultimately unless these kind of events take place on HBO in America, or ITV/BBC/Sky in the UK 99% of casual sports fans won't even know about it.

At least as far as over here in the UK is concerned the Super Six tournament has had absolutely nothing in the way of an impact on casual sports fans, they just don't know about, don't know any of the fighters and ultimately I think it can't be a success in the long run if it's not more publicised.

I think HBO really needs to organise these kind of events and then sell the viewing rights to either ITV or Sky over here so people can know and care.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really like the tournament! The only worry I have is the time frame. With that many fighters & over that long there will always be problems! 1st there was the Taylor issue & his replacement, then injuries. But they have stuck to their guns & so far its working... fingers crossed it continues to & other similar projects are introduced
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the SS has been great. The referees have been universally awful, but the fact that we are having good opponents face each other fight in fight out is good for boxing and most of all for the fans. When was the last time Floyd Mayweather faced 3 legitimate challenges in his own weight class? SS is making fighters do just that. No cherry picking. I think it's intriguing trying to work out how it will all end up. I think it would be great to see it used in other divisions as the best should end up fighting the best.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've had mixed feelings on the tournament since it's announcment. Now I have gotten over it's awful organisation and structure, I can appreciate it for what it's trying to achieve.

The fact is, it is more difficult now to make fights happen, so the tournament couldn't have been in a traditional quater, semi, final or league like other sports as it is too inflexible for the demmands of boxers. I know it has a score system, but you have to admit no one really understands how the tournament works and fights are being made as they go along.

I'm just pleased we have six of the best fighters fighting most of each other, not getting to pick fights they know they will win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

agree with bilbo, coverage is non existant in uk no one knows its even happening i cant even watch as not got sky tv or i can pay to watch on my computer

Thread Information