Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Chris Billam-Smith v Isaac Chamberlain

At the Bournemouth International Centre, a massive local match between Chris Billam-Smith and Isaac Chamberlain will be the main event of a bill that includes two medallists from the 2020 Olympics, one of the most explosive finishers in British boxing, and a rising star with immense potential.

With the goal of becoming the best British boxer of all time, Ben “B£NZO” Whittaker, who recently won silver in the Olympics, will begin his professional career against Greg “The Real Deal” O’Neill, a skilled County Durham boxer (6-6-1, 1 KO).

Whittaker’s decision to forego the usual four-round entry level in favour of a six-round battle is a sign of his self-assurance.

The heavyweight Midlander, coached by SugarHill Steward, who also trains Tyson Fury, is hailed as one of the most promising prospects in the world.

Below is some more information on the Chris Billam-Smith vs Isaac Chamberlain undercard.

Following his dramatic first-round stoppage victory on the undercard of Khan vs. Brook in February, fellow medallist Frazer Clarke (1-0, 1 KO) captained Team GB at the 2020 Olympics and won a bronze medal, returns to the ring for his second professional outing.

As he advances in his quest to dominate the domestic heavyweight scene, the Burton-based “Big Fraze” travels to Bournemouth in search of a second, similarly decisive victory.

Joe Pigford, a 19-0, 18 KO fighter from Southampton, travels to Bournemouth with his devoted supporters along the M27. He wants to provide another stunning performance so that he can bring home his first championship trophy.

Punching machine Pigford is on an unbroken 16-KO run and has a 95% KO ratio. He will compete in Bournemouth for the vacant WBO European Super-Welterweight Championship, and, if successful, move a great deal closer to world title contention.

In a thrilling shootout that is expected to be dramatic, hard-hitting Scottish prospect John Docherty (12-1, 9 KOs) will take on the unbeaten Brazilian puncher Diego Costa (8-0, 5 KOs) of Manchester.

Following her impressive first-round knockout of Martina Horgasz in her previous fight, 2020 Team GB Olympian Caroline Dubois (2-0, 1 KO) fights veteran Tanzanian Happy Daudi over the course of six rounds.

Unbeaten cruiserweight puncher Mikael Lawal (15-0, 9 KOs) continues his upward path from a homeless teen gang member to the top of the British cruiserweight ranks as he seeks his sixteenth career victory and perhaps tenth stoppage.

Hassan Azim (3-0, 2 KOs), one half of boxing’s hottest sibling duo, will also try to maintain his unbeaten streak. Hassan, a welterweight who won in the first round by knockout in March, will be eager to show off his incredible firepower after watching his younger brother Adam win his maiden championship title last week in Coventry.

Lee Cutler, another wildly popular all-action fighter from Bournemouth, rounds off the card (10-1, 7 KOs). He has won all three of his most recent matches, including the one that earned him the Southern Area Super-Welterweight title, within two rounds.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...1279a28defc400
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chris Billam-Smith v Isaac Chamberlain

Deontay Wilder will return to the top of the sport, predicts London cruiserweight Isaac Chamberlain.

Wilder completed a thrilling trilogy of fights with Tyson Fury last year. He lost their final, bruising encounter in Las Vegas in October and the American is yet to unveil his plans for a comeback.

Chamberlain, a former training partner of Wilder's, expects the American to return to prominence in the heavyweight boxing scene.

"One million percent,'' he told Sky Sports News.

"You need characters like that in boxing, he'll be back.

"I remember I was facetiming him before the other fights, he was in the zone and locked in. A true test of character is how you bounce back."

From sparring together, Chamberlain knows Wilder has the tools to challenge anyone in the division.

"He's powerful, very powerful. I remember I sparred him when I was 19, he hit me with an uppercut, I thought I was back in London. He's a solid puncher," Chamberlain laughed.

"People always say it's his power. It's not really, it's his speed. He's very quick off the mark and he processes very quickly. People don't realise it and people only think he's wild just in general.

"No, he's only wild when he has you hurt. But he sticks to the basics very well, he's very, very sharp. So he's better than what people think.

"There's method behind the madness."

Chamberlain has also spent time in the ring with another leading heavyweight, Oleksandr Usyk.

The Ukrainian became the undisputed champion at cruiserweight before moving up to heavyweight to beat Anthony Joshua for the unified IBF, WBO and WBA titles.

"Those are the top two I would say [I've been in the ring with]. In terms of boxing brain and smarts, it's probably Usyk. In terms of athleticism probably Wilder," Chamberlain said.

"He [Usyk] is very smart. It's always a chess match.

''Usyk is a great guy, he was giving me a lot of advice on what to do and how to develop my boxing skills."

It gives Chamberlain an informed perspective on the Usyk vs Joshua rematch.

"AJ has to come with the correct gameplan. He has to come very ferocious, very strong. Everyone keeps saying you have to steamroll Usyk but the thing is Usyk is powerful as well," Chamberlain said.

"He might have been a cruiserweight but he's gone up and he does have power. So to go in and just try and bomb him, it's not going to make sense. There's punches coming back. You have to be very calculated with your approach.

"So [Joshua] has to be smart. Use his feints, use his lateral movement. Go where Usyk's going but kind of play chess with him but play chess with him aggressively. That's how he has to beat him and wear him down to the body. When you're on the inside be a lot rougher as well. He has a good team around him that will have a great gameplan so we'll see."

Chamberlain believes the time he has spent sparring some of the best boxers in the world - inside the best gyms - will certainly develop him as a boxer. He is determined to showcase the skills he's acquired in his July 30 showdown with Chris Billam-Smith in Bournemouth, live on Sky Sports.

"Sometimes you have to look at yourself in the mirror and think what can I do to get better?.

''Am I just going to stay here or am I going to try and evolve and better myself? I believe that that's what I've done. I went away, I went to Miami and sparred with all the world champions and world title contenders in Miami just by myself.

''I spent Christmas there, I spent New Years there, I spent my birthday there. It was very, very tough for me but I knew something was going to come out of this.

"I'm putting everything into my training.

''When I fight now, all of the energy that I put into my training, I put it into the fight.

''So it's going to be a great spectacle on July 30 and I can't wait to do the same thing I've been doing but on a bigger scale and showing everyone that Isaac's one of the most improved fighters in recent times."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...1279a28defc400

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing gave Isaac Chamberlain a lifeline. Victory on Saturday could change his life.

Yet the daunting challenge posed by Chris Billam-Smith - roared on by his Bournemouth backers - is nothing compared to the tribulations Isaac Chamberlain faced as a youth in London.

The British cruiserweight saw things that no child should witness on the streets of Brixton before he had even reached his teens. Even so, such was the prevalence of gang culture and knife crime that it became normalised for a child who was lucky to get breakfast before school.

Billam-Smith's brutal warning for ChamberlainRichard Torrez: AJ needs me for Usyk sparringWhy Joshua's new trainer makes 'perfect sense' for revenge mission
    "When you grew up around it you become numb to it. You get that phone call. So-and-so has got stabbed or so-and-so passed away. It's very sad and sometimes it hits home but after a while you become a bit numb," he told Sky Sports News.

"I've seen some stuff."

Among those killed in the gruesome and brutal environment was Chamberlain's teenage cousin. At the age of just 11, Chamberlain was coerced into transporting class A drugs for the gang leaders.

"Growing up in Brixton, you had to do certain things for the elders," he said, "moving drugs and stuff. You're thinking, 'Yeah, they are looking out for you.' But they're not really. They are abusing you.

"In your head at that age you are thinking if I do this then you can have what they have - the cars, the chains, the money. You're there and you can't even get breakfast sometimes. All you had for dinner was sleep! You didn't have nothing. I was waiting for free school meals so that I could have a proper meal."

Chamberlain's path seemed destined to lead him in one depressing direction. Until boxing transformed his landscape. It was his mother who took him to a gym for the first time - and there was no turning back.

"I probably would have followed my friends that I was growing up with at the time. They went down the wrong road. You become a product of your environment. I'd probably have gone to jail, or got stabbed or something like that but thank God I didn't," he said.

"Boxing gave me a lifeline. When I was young I had low self-esteem - I didn't really believe in myself. Boxing gives a voice to those that don't have one or don't want to speak up. It makes you confident to speak through your fighting. It gives you that confidence to speak out and be yourself a lot more. Before boxing I was more in my shell. I am very grateful."

Whilst his journey inside the boxing ring has been far from smooth - plagued by inactivity, injury and an early defeat to Lawrence Okolie in 2018 - a win over domestic rival Billam-Smith on Saturday opens the door to potential world title opportunities.

It's impossible to truly erase the memories forged in that hostile environment as a child. Instead, Chamberlain wants to use his experiences to empower youngsters growing up in similar communities to his own. He works as an ambassador for Gloves Up Knives Down - an initiative aimed at providing access to boxing training to young people to help them lead fulfilling lives away from crime.

"I know somebody out there has a story like mine or even worse. I know that if it can help me then it can definitely help the next kid who was thinking like me. That's only one of the reasons I am heavily behind it because of what it has done to my life," Chamberlain said.

Gloves Up Knives Down will launch their first ever physical hub in Haringey on Saturday - just hours before Chamberlain steps into the ring at the Bournemouth International Centre. The British cruiserweight is well aware of the transformative effect this fight could have on his own pathway.

"It's going to be a great spectacle. I can't wait to show everyone that Isaac is one of the most improved fighters in recent times. This fight could definitely change my life," he said.

"They are saying the winner of this fight fights for the IBF world title against Jai Opetaia and the Ring Magazine belts which means you're No. 1 in the world. That's a massive, massive opportunity for me. That's definitely something that can change my life and change my family's life."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...1b4d6fee0a9462

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When he first stepped into the punishing and intimidating surroundings of an amateur boxing gym, the primary aim for Chris Billam-Smith was merely to supply himself with an impressive playground story.

'My brother Ben was always into boxing,' the European and Commonwealth cruiserweight champion tells Sportsmail. 'He took me a handful of times when I was a teenager, but I was sort of just going so I could tell my mates at school the next day that I went to boxing last night to sound cool.

'Then when I went to college I met a mate of mine, Dean, and I started training with him. I went to watch him fight and everyone was there chanting his name. I just remember stopping and thinking, "that must be amazing, having everyone there and your friends and family chanting your name. What a feeling that must be."'

A late starter in the sport, Billam-Smith, 31, began chasing the same euphoric high as Dean when he bit down on his gum shield and embarked on his own fighting career at the age of 16.

A year later he competed in his first amateur bout, and over the next decade it soon transpired that he could one day have significantly more to boast about than attending a local boxing class.

The Bournemouth man enjoyed 43 amateur outings in total, winning 32 of them, and came unstuck in the ABA finals on two separate occasions. After his second defeat at the hands of future Olympic heavyweight Cheavon Clarke, Billam-Smith decided it was time to turn professional.

He did so under the tutelage of Shane McGuigan, son of Irish fight legend Barry and one of the most respected trainers in world boxing. Five years, 16 contests, and 15 wins later, the pair are now close friends as well as a formidable team.

'We've got a good relationship me and Shane,' Billam-Smith says. 'I'm very, very grateful for the opportunity him and his family gave me to begin with, but it's really grown over the years our relationship.

'We're a similar age, I think he's maybe two years above me, and we have very similar interests. He likes his music and both of us are non-drinkers as well, so on nights out we know how to have a good time without a drink. We're just very similar people and we get on well.

'But yeah, Shane's obviously one of if not the best coach in the world and he's one of my best mates as well, so I'm very fortunate to have such a good relationship with my coach.'

Over the last half-decade McGuigan has attracted a host of top fighters to his stable; David Haye, George Groves, Luke Campbell and Lawrence Okolie to name a few. Current undisputed lightweight champion Josh Taylor also stormed through the 140lbs division with Shane by his side before an acrimonious split in 2019. Billam-Smith has had the luxury of plying his trade alongside some of the best in the business.

But when asked to name the stablemate he has learned most from, there is an easy answer.

'I picked up the most from George Groves,' he insists. 'George was my favourite fighter before I even joined the gym, then I got the chance to spar with him and I became his sparring partner. That's how I got into Shane's gym and then I asked Shane to train me, so we were gym mates and now we're friends.

'It's a bit surreal. George was like an idol to me and now he's a good mate of mine. So I'm very fortunate to have had that experience and I learned so much from George.

'He was a world-class fighter for so many years and his jab was one of the best jabs ever. I learned a lot from him for sure and from Josh Taylor as well, because he had a really good inside game and that's something I've learned under Shane, the inside work. I've learned the tricks from Shane and then you see other people carrying it out like Josh, just that tenacity he has and the inside work is really good.'

Groves, the former WBA super-middleweight champion best known for his iconic rivalry with Carl Froch, finally claimed world honours at the fourth time of asking under McGuigan and undoubtedly enjoyed his finest moments with the young coach in his corner.

He had already spent nine years in the game by the time Billam-Smith ventured into the professional ranks, meaning his experience, wisdom and ability provided invaluable education in the gym. Yet having dedicated his life to the sport, towards the back end of his career Groves' preferred strategy was to let himself go in between fights and return to a peak fitness level by the time another came around.

This is where Billam-Smith drew the line in emulating his idol.

He explains: 'I try and stay in shape all year round. For me peaking is slightly different, and I've also had to grow into the cruiserweight limit. I was probably a bit light when I first turned pro, so I've had to do a lot more training in between camps to bulk up and fill into the weight a bit better.

'I definitely enjoy my food, don't get me wrong, and I definitely put on a few pounds, but not quite as severe as George used to!

'The thing is with George, he did it and a lot of fighters do it from such a young age, so it's been their entire life. I only started when I left school and my first fight was at 17, so it's not been that long for me and I feel like I've got to play catchup with a lot of these guys.

'And also for me, fitness and running is a hobby of mine as well. So I always like staying in shape anyway, it's good for the body and good for the mind.'

Billam-Smith's fitness-orientated lifestyle had to take a back seat in the aftermath of his latest victory, a crushing stoppage of Ireland's Tommy McCarthy back in April.

That powerful display, comfortably the most impressive of his career to date, was followed by even greater news outside the ring when he and wife Mia welcomed their first child into the world.

Sleepless nights have been a given ever since, though the fighter nicknamed 'The Gentleman' is quick to acknowledge that his other half has out-parented him so far.

'It's hard work,' he admits. 'You have to try and just sleep when you can, especially training all the time. So it's just getting in plenty of naps when I can.

'But no, absolutely loving it and to be honest, my wife does a lot of the work. I chip in where I can and it's amazing, I'm absolutely loving it.'

Is he a world champion nappy-changer yet? 'Yeah yeah, I've got that nailed. Three in 10 minutes. Then he just decides when I change him that he wants to go again!'

This weekend it is back to business for Billam-Smith as he prepares for a long-awaited homecoming in Bournemouth, where domestic rival Isaac Chamberlain (15-1, 8 KOs) awaits in a fascinating encounter for the European and Commonwealth straps at the town's International Centre.

While on the cusp of a world-title opportunity at 200lbs, some feel he is taking a needless risk here up against a talented opponent with similar aspirations to his own. The risk and reward balance tips slightly towards the former, with little for him to gain by becoming the second man to beat the 28-year-old after current stablemate and WBO champion Lawrence Okolie.

However, the choice of opponent was not a priority for Billam-Smith, who simply longed for a return to Bournemouth.

'With this fight all I wanted was to fight back home, it didn't matter who it was,' he says. 'I wanted to fight back home, but every fight is a dangerous fight - especially at cruiserweight. Everyone can punch at the weight, but I believe in myself 100 per cent, so it wouldn't matter who I was in there with.

'It's a good fight and it's another opportunity, I'm not in the sport to take easy fights, so it's a great fight and I didn't want a bowl over. It's a tough fight and one I've got to think about, train hard for and give the fans a really good performance.'

On Chamberlain, Billam-Smith added: 'He brings a lot of different problems to previous opponents. He's got quick hands, he's got decent power, but he's slick so it's not really a style I've faced in the pros to be honest with you.

'It's a whole new bag of tricks I've got to get past this time, but that's what boxing's about. You've got to get in there with all different styles, all different opponents. They're the sort of fights that are gonna teach you new things and prepare you for world level.'

Prevailing on the south coast will tee Billam-Smith up for a crack at world glory next. For he and McGuigan, victory over Chamberlain would hopefully be followed by a cruiserweight title shot 'within the next 12 months'. And maybe even at Dean Court, home of his beloved AFC Bournemouth. Although that could be wishful thinking.

Capturing a world title would undoubtedly represent the pinnacle of his boxing story, though there remains a controversial blemish on Billam-Smith's record - a narrow, disputed split-decision points defeat against fellow British cruiserweight Richard Riakporhe (15-0, 11 KOs) in 2019.

A return bout is surely inevitable given their respective ascents through the division over the past three years. And the stakes are likely to be even higher this time around.

'I think it's a fight that will make sense when there's a world title on the line,' Billam-Smith points out. 'It's obviously a huge fight, people like their rematches. It was a split-decision the first time round, so it's definitely a fight that makes sense.

'I'm sure when there's a world title on the line it'll be an unbelievable fight for Britain.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whitaker won in devastating fashion and is looking good. Still acting a bit of a knob but that may be his way to get publicity and the people to watch him. Not the first and will not be the last to try that strategy.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smith using his size and strength to smother Chamberlain in the first round.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Action packed 2nd round with both fighters hurt, Smith hurt with left hook and Chamberlain with a huge right hand.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smith wins 3rd round and landing some hurtful left hooks to the body.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chamberlain wins 4th round by creating the distance to land his jab and faster hands.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both fighters eyes swollen and look tired but Chamberlain seems to be taking over in the 5th.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smith digging deep to win close 6th round. I have it 3-3 and both look tired.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chamberlain wins a grueling 7th round, both fighters shattered.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smith steals the 8th round when Chamberlain landed the big right hand.

4-4

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They have both slowed the pace down now and Chamberlain looks the fresher and landing the cleaner punches. Sky have Smith ahead.

5-4 Chamberlain

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smith landing the better punches in the 10th to win the round.

5-5

Thread Information