Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From ESPN: Hoya vs. PAC in the works

Share/Bookmark
    XaduBoxer Guest

Default From ESPN: Hoya vs. PAC in the works

De La Hoya-Pacquiao more reality than fantasy

Immediately after new pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao finished wiping the floor with David Diaz to win a lightweight title June 28, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum began making plans for Pacquiao's next fight.

Publicly, Arum said Pacquiao would return Nov. 8 in Las Vegas to fight junior lightweight titlist Edwin Valero, who would move up in weight. But Valero, medically suspended in the United States for an old non-boxing related head injury until being licensed in Texas a few months ago, might still have problems securing a license in Nevada. So Arum had a backup plan: Humberto Soto, another top junior lightweight who would move up for the shot.

Unknown to Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer and an integral part of the team that selects his opponents, Arum has been plotting something bigger behind the scenes -- for Pacquiao to move up to 147 pounds for a mega-money fight against Oscar De La Hoya on Dec. 6 in what the Golden Boy says will be his final fight.

The notion of that fight was first suggested several months ago by HBO broadcaster Larry Merchant. Although it was initially blasted as a fantasy mismatch by some, it has slowly gained steam.

Now, the prospect of the fight is real. It's the fight Roach wants for Pacquiao, and he just might get it.

Before Arum revealed his plan to ESPN.com, Roach, speaking this week from his Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif., said it's the fight Arum should be negotiating instead of the lesser bouts with Valero or Soto.

AP Photo/Jae C. Hong

No more soft touches for Pacquiao: The lightweight titlist is confident about his chances against De La Hoya -- at welterweight, no less.

"Oscar is looking for a fight. I think Pacquiao should fight Oscar next," said Roach, who knows De La Hoya well after training him for his May 2007 split-decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. "Oscar says he has one more fight left in him. If we can get Oscar to come down to 147 pounds, I told Pacquiao that maybe we weigh in around 140 and by fight time we'll be up to 145. I would never take a fight I wasn't confident my guy could win. I'm very confident he could win. Oscar is older and he can't pull the trigger anymore. If Steve Forbes can land shots on Oscar like he did [in their 150-pound fight May 3], Manny will hit him with ease. Manny will annihilate him, I feel.

"What does Soto bring to the table other than that he beat Manny's brother, Bobby? How many buys does that fight do? Less than David Diaz, I feel. He's a good fighter, but not a popular one. And Valero is unknown in the U.S. I think we should at least try to negotiate the deal, if Oscar is interested. He's shown interest before, and Pacquiao told me many times he would love to fight Oscar. The guy is going to fight one more time in his life and we don't want to miss the boat. Obviously, I want Manny to fight Ricky Hatton, but that fight isn't available right now because he's fighting in November, so let's fight Oscar. Manny could fight Oscar and then Hatton next year and retire as one of the greatest fighters of all time.

"Oscar does have that great left hook, but it's one shot. Oscar gets tired. Manny gets stronger and stronger. It's a no-brainer to make this fight. I think we can knock Oscar out. I've been dreaming about him jumping on Oscar in the first round. I know Oscar won't last. If Manny fights at a Pacquiao pace, Oscar won't last."

Little did Roach know that Arum was way ahead of him.

"Freddie is the trainer and nobody selects an opponent without running it by Freddie," Arum said. "But for Freddie to come out with these statements is counterproductive because behind the scenes there have been talks with [Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard] Schaefer and myself about an Oscar-Pacquiao fight. So I didn't need this kind of grandstanding. The talks are serious. Richard doesn't f--- around. He's not jerking my chain."

Arum is also talking to Schaefer about De La Hoya facing one of his other stars, welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto, who would have to defeat Antonio Margarito next Saturday night.

"There is a possibility that Oscar will fight Cotto and there's a possibility he'll fight Pacquiao Dec. 6," Arum said. "Obviously, because it's Oscar, and it's ostensibly his last fight, he will get to pick who he wants to fight. My job is to make the best possible deal for whichever of my fighters he picks. Whoever De La Hoya wants to fight, I'll make a deal for."

Arum said that if a Pacquiao bout happens, Schaefer told him De La Hoya would come all the way down to 147 pounds. It would take place at Las Vegas' MGM Grand, which Schaefer has already promised De La Hoya's final fight to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: From ESPN: Hoya vs. PAC in the works

Oscar said that he would be killing himself to make 150 for the Hatton fight now its 147 for Pacquaio?

Cant see it Hatton is there is the same size and only one weight away.

If Hatton beats Paulie he will fight Pacquaio.

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post
    Oscar said that he would be killing himself to make 150 for the Hatton fight now its 147 for Pacquaio?

Cant see it Hatton is there is the same size and only one weight away.

If Hatton beats Paulie he will fight Pacquaio.

Oscar was able to to make 150 in May 2007 and again in May this year and he's still alive. Let's see, 150 - 147 = 3 lbs. I think Oscar can make 147 in December.

Hatton will be next year after Oscar in December for PAC.
    Last edited by XaduBoxer; 07-18-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read this more to be Pacquiao wants to fight ODLH than it's in the works.

Nothing more than dollars here for both fighters.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't want to sound like a hypocrite but PAC and Roach certainly knows they don't stand a chance against Oscar. It just so happens that fights made against Soto or Valero combined won't get them the money that they could get fighting ODLH.
    But IMO I'd rather get a stunning W or kayo Win against Valero or Sotto and just get $2 Million in the process rather than an expected 1 round kayo loss vs ODLH and getting $15 mill. It's aobvious it's for the money and PAC's team does not want to take any CHANCES agaisnt Soto or Valero. Well it's just me

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight should never happen...

...but since it seems like it's going to happen anyways and if they must, then I think pac should make it a Jhonny Gonzales - Gerry Penalosa style fight, keeping his gloves high and digging the body all day. But even so, I just give pac a 4.9% 'cause Oscar ain't no Gonzales...

...I'd still say somebody outta stop this joke...
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a fucking mismatch.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac needs to get his head back on planet earth and see that he is going well too far above his weight class to fight the physically bigger ODLH.

Its really bugging me all of this Pac weight movement, because he still has so many names to beat at superfeathweight and lightweight, its such a shame really.

Pac should fight; Valero, Guzman, Campbell, marquez again if he beats Casa or maybe Diaz or Katsidis. I originally thought Hatton was way too far out of pacs weight class, but after seeing his perfomance at lightweight ive changed my opinion a bit. But seriously 147 is way too far out of his reach and he will get builled there IMO. Cotto, Williams, Margarito, ODLH have bigger shits than Pac hahaha just kidden, but seriously this is far too out of his reach and its a shame because his legacy can be defined at the weights that he has dominated so far.

Hopefully he will realise hes going a bit too far up.

Corrales against Clottley, Chico showed great heart but was just a bit too much out of his depth, I can see that in a pac-ODLH fight IMO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not mind pac fighting oscar, I always have confident at my boy. freddy knows both pac and oscar. freddy is a pro trainier so what he says weights more than any of us. he feels oscar will tire down and will be easy target for pac then he is likely to be more right then us. this is not really moving up for pac though. freddy said pac can weigh in at 140 then by fight night be 145sum. that would be same as going up to junior welters not real welter. pac imo would box and land hard shots til oscar gas like always then pac can get the tko like how he got the tko against eric in the second fight. plus keep in mind, oscar is being set up to drain himself to get down to 147. imo that would hurt oscar more then pac going up to fight him and be too fast for him come fight night.

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

Both TopRank and Golden Boy Promotions are talking about it so it's in the works.

"Arum said. "But for Freddie to come out with these statements is counterproductive because behind the scenes there have been talks with [Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard] Schaefer and myself about an Oscar-Pacquiao fight. So I didn't need this kind of grandstanding. The talks are serious. Richard doesn't f--- around. He's not jerking my chain."

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post
    This fight should never happen...

...but since it seems like it's going to happen anyways and if they must, then I think pac should make it a Jhonny Gonzales - Gerry Penalosa style fight, keeping his gloves high and digging the body all day. But even so, I just give pac a 4.9% 'cause Oscar ain't no Gonzales...

...I'd still say somebody outta stop this joke...

I only give PAC 1% chance of winning.

I dunno about these promoters, boxing writers, boxing personalities who keep on talking/pushing for this fight. (And me keep posting what they talked about ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    I do not mind pac fighting oscar, I always have confident at my boy. freddy knows both pac and oscar. freddy is a pro trainier so what he says weights more than any of us. he feels oscar will tire down and will be easy target for pac then he is likely to be more right then us. this is not really moving up for pac though. freddy said pac can weigh in at 140 then by fight night be 145sum. that would be same as going up to junior welters not real welter. pac imo would box and land hard shots til oscar gas like always then pac can get the tko like how he got the tko against eric in the second fight. plus keep in mind, oscar is being set up to drain himself to get down to 147. imo that would hurt oscar more then pac going up to fight him and be too fast for him come fight night.
    Sorry Pre but I have to disagree with you on this one. Even if Oscar drains himself for this fight all he needs is to land a single shot could even be a jab to knock Pac's head towards the stratosphere. Skillwise, physicality wise PAC has nothing against an even older Oscar.
    This fight is just for the money that's it. PAC and everybody in his team knows they don't stand a chance. They're just gunning for the easy money on this one at our PACMAN's expense. Think about a Spinks-Tyson match-up it's almost like that even worse.
    What kind of legacy could this fight bring to PAC knowing he just got KTFO!!! Well to reiterate what I said I guess they're just looking at the MONEY side of it.

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

"Very serious talk" could mean in the works.

"ESPN’s Dan Rafael is reporting that there are very serious talks between Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions to stage a mega fight between pound-for-pound and WBC lightweight champ Manny Pacquiao to face superstar Oscar De La Hoya. The fight would take place on December 6th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and be fought at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds. The fight would be De La Hoya’s last before retirement."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Pacquaio is a lot bigger and stronger than people give him credit for. He came against Diaz at 147, he probably naturally weighs over 160 which is bigger than Mayweather. I don't agree with moving up so much, so quickly, but I feelt if Forbes can handle Oscar's power than Pacquaio should have a shot of it. I definitely think Pacquaio boxing skills are being underated, but it is very tough for me to see him overcoming almost half a foot in height disadvantage, and against a guy he can't hurt.

That being said, he is Manny so I would give him a 25% chance of winning by UD. Him and Roach know what they are doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People seem to forget that its fights like this that make legendary fighters, Pacquaio has accomplished almost everything at his weight(except Guzman), and by fighting Oscar he has the ability to transcend maybe any modern day boxer on the p4p chart(I talking since the Duran, Leonard, Hearns days) If he can accomplish this then he deserves to be a deity in the Phillipines.

Thread Information