Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

I've been wondering about whether or not taller fighters should use the Overhand Right when boxing. I know for a fact that the Overhand Right is a VERY powerful tool that combines the motions of a hook and a cross together in one, fluid motion. The typical target of the Overhand Right is the temple on the head, a key K.O. region when hit properly. I know a lot of shorter fighters use it on taller boxers, because the taller boxers usually never see it coming. It would be diffucult for a shorter boxer to throw a straight Cross upwards, which decreases the power.

However, I wonder if the Overhand Right is a good punch for taller fighters. Taller fighter typically do well with the Cross, but I wonder if the Overhand right is well suited to the taller fighter. That's my question, which is more effective for a taller fighter, the straight Cross or the Overhand right, and why you believe so. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

You cant generelise but it was Lenox Lewis best punch after his jab in my opnion but it depends on the fighter you have to be comfoatable with a shot for it to work and if you are comforatable tsll or short it will work bacause you will adapt and make it work
    I am only 5'11 and i weigh 240lbs and my jab is one of my best punches that defeys logic cause i am so short for a heavyweight but i make i work cause i am comforatabe with the shot.
    So i believe there is no yes or no to this question it depends on the fighter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No
    Its a waste of energy,waste of defense shot for a signifigantly taller fighter to throw.
    A tight cross is fine.But a looping overhand cross is a waste of your time and energy. Admit ably it only has to land once,but you take too much damage in the course of setting it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    No
    Its a waste of energy,waste of defense shot for a signifigantly taller fighter to throw.
    A tight cross is fine.But a looping overhand cross is a waste of your time and energy. Admit ably it only has to land once,but you take too much damage in the course of setting it up.
    I have to disagree it depends on how comforatable the fighter is with the shot as i said go onto you tube are look at lennox lewis highlights it was a devastating shot in the later rounds or against a fighter that was worn down he just used it when he felt it was safe and there would be no come back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it works great against a shorter fighter, especially when you start timing their jab. The movement knocks their jab off course and allows your overhand right to connect perfectly as they walk in, does some great damage.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a punch I use often, and especially against a slightly shorter fighter. And exactly as Salty describes.

I basically try to pin a guy in the corner applying pressure, then wait and watch his feet or legs for a balance shift, signally he`s making a move out punch...then just release. He is usually throwing a left...but sometimes a right. Either way..I basically just unload an overhand right, or straight right as soon as I notice the shift in weight beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

exactly as i said mate it depends on the fighter but i would not discount it unless i had to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I think it works great against a shorter fighter, especially when you start timing their jab. The movement knocks their jab off course and allows your overhand right to connect perfectly as they walk in, does some great damage.
    The question was based in a way that asked,"Whats the hard fast rule" and thats the hard fast rule,the shorter guy needs a bit more oomph on his punch.
    But its a major energy wasting punch, and leaves you screamingly open when you throw it.For the taller fighter,your better off with a nice tight cross instead of the looping cross. Just because Lennox Lewis got away with it,doesnt mean you will
    Theres a reason he's Lennox Lewis, and your not
    I dont use Ali fights for training purposes, for the same reason, Ali could do things that most fighters couldnt even conceive of getting away with. I love watching his fights, but their worthless for training purposes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would you tell a fighter not to throw a jab because he could not throw it as fast as ali of course not, i was hardly comparing anyone in the forum to lenox lewis i was giving you a example of this punch being used by a taller fighter he is not the only one both the Klichkos use it as well, what all the guys here are saying is simple that it is an effective shot but should be used sparingly and should not be discounted as there is no rule so to speak about any punch they all have a time and a place the right cross is more effective because the chances of a counter are smaller but overhand has its place when you have a man in trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrodub View Post
    Would you tell a fighter not to throw a jab because he could not throw it as fast as ali of course not, i was hardly comparing anyone in the forum to lenox lewis i was giving you a example of this punch being used by a taller fighter he is not the only one both the Klichkos use it as well, what all the guys here are saying is simple that it is an effective shot but should be used sparingly and should not be discounted as there is no rule so to speak about any punch they all have a time and a place the right cross is more effective because the chances of a counter are smaller but overhand has its place when you have a man in trouble
    The big overhand right is an energy waster,I hate a double up style and I hate a pawing jab,it doesnt mean some guys cant get away with it, but I wouldnt bet your the one who can. It was a hard fast rule question. And the hard fast rule, is dont do it if your the taller fighter,I explained, its a waste of both defense and energy for a taller fighter. Its simple force ratio, you have to exude more force to get the shot going. You get tired late in a round throwing those things. And your wide open the entire time. So for a taller fighter, it makes more logical sense to throw a tight cross rather then a big overhand one. Most of the big guys who throw big overs,spend alot of time picking their shots rather then barraging

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well all along i have said it is a shot to be used sparingly,when the man is worn down,or a finisher, so if a fighter uses the shot the way i said he will not waste energy if he goes wading in with any punch he will get tired.
    You have said i leaves you open well if a fighter complety discounts the shot when he has a man hurt he runs the risk of letting the other guy off the hook and posibly losing a fight he could have finished with a nice placed overhand right.That seems silly to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well all along i have said it is a shot to be used sparingly,when the man is worn down,or a finisher, so if a fighter uses the shot the way i said he will not waste energy if he goes wading in with any punch he will get tired.
    You have said i leaves you open well if a fighter complety discounts the shot when he has a man hurt he runs the risk of letting the other guy off the hook and posibly losing a fight he could have finished with a nice placed overhand right.That seems silly to me.
    You slip it,jab, then hook to the body,, and step out, you can do it all night against a taller fighter who's throwing a looping cross.
    Its just very bad tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your not thinking about a very nice overhand right,what was described in the first post is an over extended overhand right.
    A nice tight cross,sure,go for it, the cross described in the lead post is over extended. Theres no point to a taller fighter throwing that shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not talking about throwing it all night i am talking about using it against a worn down opponant or to finish off a man i have said this over and over.
    In the oriniganl post he asked about an overhand right so i am not sure what you mean in your last post Trainer Monkey will you post again please because i dont understand thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not talking about throwing it all night i am talking about using it against a worn down opponant or to finish off a man i have said this over and over.
    In the oriniganl post he asked about an overhand right so i am not sure what you mean in your last post Trainer Monkey will you post again please because i dont understand thanks
    Yup...it's the shot you want to take em down with...or atleast put a nice dent in the armour.

Thread Information