2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hot Ticket: Calzaghe-Manfredo!

Friday, January 26 2007
    http://www.fightnews.com

Promoter Frank Warren announced today that with nine weeks still to go, over 20,000 tickets have already been sold to the Joe Calzaghe-Peter Manfredo, Jr. super middleweight championship clash at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales. The world title fight is almost certain to be fought in front of the biggest live boxing audience in United Kingdom history. "This may be Joe's last fight in Wales before he crosses the pond to take on the best the U.S. has to offer on American soil. It's clear Joe's fans want to see him get his historic 20th title defense and give him a sendoff that will resound in heart for years to come," said Warren. "It's a tribute to Joe Calzaghe and also to the popularity of Peter Manfredo and "The Contenders" series. Who else could produce the biggest live audience in UK boxing history?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hot Ticket: Calzaghe-Manfredo!

after reading today about calzaghe saying he is finding it very hard to get fired up for manfredo seems he was more forced into the fight than anything, guess signing a lifes contract with warren all them years ago wasn't such a good idea

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    after reading today about calzaghe saying he is finding it very hard to get fired up for manfredo seems he was more forced into the fight than anything, guess signing a lifes contract with warren all them years ago wasn't such a good idea
    He should have jumped ship like Hatton did...Warren is a business man before being a boxing fan. I think Joe is extremely talented, but staying with Warren was always going to be like this...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    He should have jumped ship like Hatton did...Warren is a business man before being a boxing fan. I think Joe is extremely talented, but staying with Warren was always going to be like this...
    he signed a life contract with warren not long after the eubank fight mate...

I forget his first promoter, but he done nothing for calzaghe, got him no where, warren spotted him and within a few fights he was a world champion, soon after with HBO claiming interest to build him up on there to fight RJJ ina few years time he must of thought "wow look what warren is doing for me" and must of jumped at the chance to sign a conract for life;/

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I forget his first promoter, but he done nothing for calzaghe, got him no where, warren spotted him and within a few fights he was a world champion, soon after with HBO claiming interest to build him up on there to fight RJJ ina few years time he must of thought "wow look what warren is doing for me" and must of jumped at the chance to sign a conract for life;/
    A life contract? Im surprised at that. Life is a very long time. For a contract to span an entire career without updates or discussion sounds a bit much...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A life contract? Im surprised at that. Life is a very long time. For a contract to span an entire career without updates or discussion sounds a bit much...
    tryingt to find it on google, but not much luck - but im 100% certiain he has a contract with warren that states warren will promote him his entire career...

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tryingt to find it on google, but not much luck - but im 100% certiain he has a contract with warren that states warren will promote him his entire career...
    That is disturbing if so and may explain a few things if true. People say Warren is good for the sport and yet in my opinion he is a disturbing leech. Fighters should have their own will to achieve what they can. If Hatton wanted more then so be it. If Calzaghe really wants to be a chicken then so be it. But let the fighters choose where they go. Hatton deserves all his props for moving on. Clazaghe has moved nowhere since Lacy. And he is still going nowhere...if he fights another bum after Manfredo then I have no more time for him.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Friday, January 26 2007

over 20,000 tickets have already been sold
    Dang, that's amazing.

Calzaghe is a rock star, are people just going to this because they want to boo on Manfredo?
    Why doesn't Calzaghe just put his title on the line against a punching bag?
    He'd sell the same seats.
    Honestly that amazes me that 20,000 people are going to that.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Friday, January 26 2007

Dang, that's amazing.

Calzaghe is a rock star, are people just going to this because they want to boo on Manfredo?
    Agreed. Im a Calzaghe fan and i have no desire to see this. I do live in a diffeent continent but that is not the point. Even if I was home I wouldnt try and see this charade. if the people buying these tickets really supported boxing then they wouldnt buy these tickets.

Its a farce!

SigmaMu Guest

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Friday, January 26 2007

Dang, that's amazing.

LMAO!

Hey Manfredo does have some English fans. Don't forget that the show was aired and or rebroadcasted in all 7 continents (6 continents if you went to school in Europe)

I know a lot of people have been hating on Calzaghe for taking this fight and I have also read that Joe is not really into it. If Calzaghe does not practically destroy Manfredo, I will be very disappointed in Joe Calzaghe and I will toss all of Joe Calzaghes fights I own into the fire place.
    Fair play...but I struggle to see this not being a serious whooping for Manfredo. It will be over within 6 rounds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is disturbing if so and may explain a few things if true. People say Warren is good for the sport and yet in my opinion he is a disturbing leech. Fighters should have their own will to achieve what they can. If Hatton wanted more then so be it. If Calzaghe really wants to be a chicken then so be it. But let the fighters choose where they go. Hatton deserves all his props for moving on. Clazaghe has moved nowhere since Lacy. And he is still going nowhere...if he fights another bum after Manfredo then I have no more time for him.
    i realy hate frank warren i really do, he is a british don king imo and as it stands i blame warren for calzaghe' lack of big fights

I am a massive calzaghe fan, was the first really boxer i started to follow, being welsh one of the main reasons ofc but thought he had great talent, but if he doesn't follow this fight up with a big couple of names, i will really losse so much respect for him and his career and 'legecy' will affectivly be over. and that is very very hard for me to say

btw 20k right now, it will be around 30-40,000 come fight night... i told alot of you before when people were talking about calzaghe fighting kessler in denmark, welsh are very very proud of our sports stars (we dont get many lol) and calzaghe, although a quiet name has been highly thought of and respect for almost a decade and there was no way in HELL he would accept a fight anywhere other than Wales. Where they are fighting isn't really good for a boxing match, better suited places in england - and normaly he would fight there. but this being his 20th defense Wales was the ONLY place he would fight, for the fans, doesn't matter whom it is he has to fight, it would only happen in Wales

Wales isn't a place in england danny, its a country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im behind Calzaghe aswell when he fights because hes Welsh and so am i but the thing what bugs me about him is when he says stuff like Jermain Taylor isnt ready for a fight with him when hes already beaten BHOP and fought other good boxers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by dayo
    Im behind Calzaghe aswell when he fights because hes Welsh and so am i but the thing what bugs me about him is when he says stuff like Jermain Taylor isnt ready for a fight with him when hes already beaten BHOP and fought other good boxers.
    was a daft thing to say, i just hope he said it to try and piss taylor off to secure a fight with him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah hopefully, the thing is tho with calzaghe he could be saying that and when he probably beats manfredo he will be set to fight another average fighter. i can just see that happening again.i can remember after he demolished Lacy they were talking about fighting RJJ in the July in cardiff whatever happened to that?

Thread Information