Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roger Rouse and Anaconda MT

I've been learning about this man and this town lately.
    https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/10862
    Rouse was a local and regional amateur champion. In 56 and 57 he was NCAA boxing champion and made the 56 Olympic team. If you look at his record, he fought all the top lightheavies of his era, most of them twice. During his peak years, roughly 64-66, world class boxing shows were common in southwest Montana.
    I've been blessed lately to meet people that grew up during those years when Roger Rouse was on top, fell in love with boxing because of him, were trained by him, then trained the next generation along with him. The stories of Rouse, of the other top fighters that came through, and of Anaconda before the smelter shut down, make it all worthwhile. You spend forever in gyms and around boxing guys just to hear these memories.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roger Rouse and Anaconda MT

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Rouse was a local and regional amateur champion. In 56 and 57 he was NCAA boxing champion and made the 56 Olympic team. If you look at his record, he fought all the top lightheavies of his era, most of them twice. During his peak years, roughly 64-66, world class boxing shows were common in southwest Montana.
    I've been blessed lately to meet people that grew up during those years when Roger Rouse was on top, fell in love with boxing because of him, were trained by him, then trained the next generation along with him. The stories of Rouse, of the other top fighters that came through, and of Anaconda before the smelter shut down, make it all worthwhile. You spend forever in gyms and around boxing guys just to hear these memories.
    I love all this type of stuff. I've done quick documentaries on fighters like this.

Memories of old timers and the stories are the best to hear.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roger Rouse and Anaconda MT

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I love all this type of stuff. I've done quick documentaries on fighters like this.

Memories of old timers and the stories are the best to hear.
    Fascinating stuff. Today I heard how Rouse was managed by a local Croatian guy and that guy used his nationality to get George Chuvalo, also Croatian, to fight in Montana.

Thread Information