Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should there be exceptions to "10-8" rounds?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Should there be exceptions to "10-8" rounds?

Perhaps this topic has been brought up before, but I'm certainly not going to scroll thru hundreds of pages.

For instance a guy gets knocked down within the first 30 seconds, gets up and completely dominates his opponent, to the point of staggering him.

Or vice versa. Dominates a round from the onset, then gets floored towards the end of it.

I'm in favor of a 10-8 round. As difficult as knockdowns are, not to mention the machismo aspect of it, they should be rewarded regardless.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should there be exceptions to "10-8" rounds?

Understand what you're saying but if it's a flash knock down and the fighter dominates the round I can see ten nine. Apparently the rules are hazy and the judges can do it. If they set the rule that it's always 10 8 that would be fine. I think Quillin got screwed as Feldman may have seen it wasn't a true knock down. With judges today probably a defined 10 8 rule should be set.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    Perhaps this topic has been brought up before, but I'm certainly not going to scroll thru hundreds of pages.

For instance a guy gets knocked down within the first 30 seconds, gets up and completely dominates his opponent, to the point of staggering him.

Or vice versa. Dominates a round from the onset, then gets floored towards the end of it.

I'm in favor of a 10-8 round. As difficult as knockdowns are, not to mention the machismo aspect of it, they should be rewarded regardless.
    Thats an even round how you described and in fact depending on the domination level after the kd the guy kd'd could actually win that rd.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regardless of 10 point must system, you lose a point rather a jab or accumulative bombs

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will always give a 10-8 round for a knockdown and will never give a 10-8 round because a fighter beat their opponent really badly in a round. The rules are dumb though because they say that if the ref calls it a knockdown then you have to count it as a knockdown yet it's still to your discretion how you score it.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think judges are allowed to give exceptions remember Holyfield getting knocked down by Cooper but smashing him around the ring for 99% of that round.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I will always give a 10-8 round for a knockdown and will never give a 10-8 round because a fighter beat their opponent really badly in a round. The rules are dumb though because they say that if the ref calls it a knockdown then you have to count it as a knockdown yet it's still to your discretion how you score it.

Actually that's not true. There is nothing in the rules that says you must call a slip a kd should the ref call it one of discount a kd that is ruled a slip.

In addition there is nothing in the rules that says you must rule a 10/8 if a kd is ruled. The 10/8 is essentially based on a rd that was even but that's not written in stone because as the opening example suggests the round may have only been even briefly.

The same may apply to a point deduction. It depends on the when and what happens after. The person who loses the point does not automatically lose the rd.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post

The refs have the discretion to score the fight by virtue of the 10 point must system. If there is a flash knockdown and the fighter dominates the round, then you have the choice to score it a 9-9 round, a 9-10 round, a 10-8 round or a 10-9 round. All up to the judges. But, make no mistake about it, if you go down in a round you will be deducted a point. Regardless of how brilliantly you fought!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Actually that's not true. There is nothing in the rules that says you must call a slip a kd should the ref call it one of discount a kd that is ruled a slip.

In addition there is nothing in the rules that says you must rule a 10/8 if a kd is ruled. The 10/8 is essentially based on a rd that was even but that's not written in stone because as the opening example suggests the round may have only been even briefly.

The same may apply to a point deduction. It depends on the when and what happens after. The person who loses the point does not automatically lose the rd.
    With today's scoring and with the scorecards, the ref must indicate which round had a knockdown. Or else he would be in question. That's why they have supervisors in attendance from the Athletic Commission and from the sanctioning bodies.

So, once the ref says it's a knockdown, it must be scored as a knockdown. No instant replay.

What's disturbing me more is that when guys get knocked down in the ring, and the ref does not see it, he turns to the side-judge to see if whether or not the side judge has started the count. I think the ref should have more latitude to say if it was a knockdown or not, or to waive it off.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angry Re: Should there be exceptions to "10-8" rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

With today's scoring and with the scorecards, the ref must indicate which round had a knockdown. Or else he would be in question. That's why they have supervisors in attendance from the Athletic Commission and from the sanctioning bodies.

So, once the ref says it's a knockdown, it must be scored as a knockdown. No instant replay.

What's disturbing me more is that when guys get knocked down in the ring, and the ref does not see it, he turns to the side-judge to see if whether or not the side judge has started the count. I think the ref should have more latitude to say if it was a knockdown or not, or to waive it off.

Again that's not true. They will do it but they dont have to. Its "may" vs shall or must. The judge is not obligated to call a clear slip a kd. Whether the lab rats that are today's judges do so does not make it correct or rule abiding. Because they do is part of the problem and the examples are endless.

In addition there is no rule that says a kd must equate a 10/8 round. Thats another fallacy

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again that's not true. They will do it but they dont have to. Its "may" vs shall or must. The judge is not obligated to call a clear slip a kd. Whether the lab rats that are today's judges do so does not make it correct or rule abiding. Because they do is part of the problem and the examples are endless.

In addition there is no rule that says a kd must equate a 10/8 round. Thats another fallacy
    Well, I stand corrected if this is the case. But they often times don't go that route.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I stand corrected if this is the case. But they often times don't go that route.
    Actually no you are partly right. Many commissions and some of the Orgs say you should call the kd if the ref calls it one. And you are also correct in the fact that they do exactly what you said.

As to the 10/8 Feldman called the third round in Lee vs Kid Ovaltine a 10/9 and rightly so because Lee dominated the rd after he was dropped.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ 10-8 Round ~

*} A knockdown is not needed to score a {10-8} Round.

*} On the other hand, a 'flash-knockdown' could be the result of an off-balance push-punch.

*} It all depends on the Referee, and pre-fight rules.

*} For a long time, many of the Scoring Officials 'abused' the {10-8} scoring.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually no you are partly right. Many commissions and some of the Orgs say you should call the kd if the ref calls it one. And you are also correct in the fact that they do exactly what you said.

As to the 10/8 Feldman called the third round in Lee vs Kid Ovaltine a 10/9 and rightly so because Lee dominated the rd after he was dropped.
    Make up your effing mind!

Hidden Content

Thread Information