Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Leigh Wood v Mauricio Lara 18/2/23

What's up with the Dazn black jackets trying to stifle basic celebration and pull Lara off the ropes.

Going to be a hard pill to swallow for Wood with corner stoppage, he was fighting a top notch fight.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good work mexican, not convinced Lara is especially good but he's tough and he goes for it, British boxers do seem to underperform v the mexicans

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

5 seconds left in the round did Ben panic in Woods corner?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    That is a bit weird surely he'd be aware of the time in the round..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Good work mexican, not convinced Lara is especially good but he's tough and he goes for it, British boxers do seem to underperform v the mexicans
    This does ring true. Maybe a premeture towel but Ben knows his fighter better than we do

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KickMuck View Post
    Wondering if it could of continued to the end of the round. could have been a differnt fight
    All the makings of a rematch no doubt. Wood looked genuinely hurt when upright but may have carried on. Then again if rolls reversed, who knows. Fun scrap.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

eddie with his fucking rematch clauses
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL @ Eddies face. Looks gutted. Can hear it in his voice. Not had a great run of fighters has he

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leigh Wood v Mauricio Lara 18/2/23

had to upload it to odysee due to copyright
    https://odysee.com/@Ciarop_Poree:9/L...)-Full-Fight:f
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not sure it’s panic, although I totally hear the argument for not throwing the towel.
    But what we forget is , in a split second, Davison is also thinking is a minute on the stool gonna be long enough for him to recover?
    We have to take into account that from the moment he’s thrown the towel in to Wood’s gallant protestations to Davison talking to him in the corner, Davison was still holding him up and probably 20 seconds had passed.
    Ok, you can say, “yeah but see how he responds in that minute and if he’s not all there, then throw the towel in.” Fair point, but Davison’s job is to look after his fighter. He should never be criticised for that by the fans.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I’m not sure it’s panic, although I totally hear the argument for not throwing the towel.
    But what we forget is , in a split second, Davison is also thinking is a minute on the stool gonna be long enough for him to recover?
    We have to take into account that from the moment he’s thrown the towel in to Wood’s gallant protestations to Davison talking to him in the corner, Davison was still holding him up and probably 20 seconds had passed.
    Ok, you can say, “yeah but see how he responds in that minute and if he’s not all there, then throw the towel in.” Fair point, but Davison’s job is to look after his fighter. He should never be criticised for that by the fans.
    Agreed, he is looking after the welfare of the boxer and "better safe than sorry".

Wood was unnecessary trading and leaving himself vulnerable many times in the contest and was visibly hurt numerous times which should have warned him. He had the fight won and got careless.

If Lara can earn more money for the rematch than any other fight then there is nothing wrong with the clause.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MAURICIO LARA had to be separated from Josh Warrington by security moments after his brutal knockout of Leigh Wood.

The Mexican mauler ripped the WBA featherweight title from Wood with a brutal left hook in the seventh round of their Nottingham dust-up.

Former foe Warrington was ringside for Lara's coronation on enemy soil - which almost ended with a post-fight punch-up.

The pair came face-to-face after Lara left the ring but were held back by the heavies at the Motorpoint Arena.

But a fired-up Lara managed to SPIT at Leeds lion Warrington before they went their separate ways.

Warrington told said: "As soon as the fight’s been waved off, he looks over to me. He sees me.

"I actually thought he was looking over at times in between the fight.

"I got off my stool, his head goes forward, he spat on me.

"You know, I can have a little bit of pantomime – shouting and screaming – but somebody spitting on me?

"I’m not having it. It’s got to the stage now that he wants to finish my career – and I’m more than happy to let him have that opportunity.”

Lara admitted to gobbing on Warrington, telling iFL TV when asked about the incident: "Of course I did.

“Because it’s personal between me and him. That’s the way it will always be.

"Of course, I do [want to fight him again]. I’m after you [Warrington]. I’m coming for you.”

Lara and Warrington's clash has paved the way for a mouthwatering trilogy fight, which could potentially take place later this year.

But the rematch clause Wood had placed in his contract to face the Mexican could delay a third showdown.

After his heartbreaking defeat, Wood said: "I am a fighter I wanted to keep going but congratulations to Mauricio Lara.

"I made a mistake and I paid for it. I want the rematch, absolutely."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21438...cio-lara-spit/

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched a video on YouTube from Carl Froch saying he’s spoken to Leigh Wood this morning and Wood admitted that he was gone.
    Froch , to be fair to him ate a bit of humble pie and applauded Ben Davison for a good stoppage.
    This is the thing , Trainers know their fighters and we have to understand that.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wood got careless, he needed to keep it long
    Lara is a vulnerable title holder whose power keeps him dangerous at all times
    You can go back & forth on the ending but Davison did what he's paid to do as head trainer, protect his fighter
    Wood probably would have survived the round but if he got seriously hurt in the next round, Davison would be getting blamed for not looking out for Wood
    Wood can fight another day

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The initial reaction was interesting. Saw many with "only seconds left" so let him make the round. Does a corner track time, of course! Does a trainer justify damage in order to count seconds. I don't think so. It's not baseball where you reach 'home plate' and you're declared safe. That damage sits on you and all you had to do was watch the pogo legs of Wood trying to find themselves in corner. Didn't notice at first but Lara was to the point of pushing the ref out of the way and already cocking the left. Wood will most certainly fight another day and look forward to it. Same with Lara who looks to have some serious natural "lazy" power. Not as an insult, but that type you don't load up. Or even set properly. He had Wood to the body with it a bit also. It's just that scary casual and natural type power.

Thread Information