Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default JOSH TAYLOR v APINUN KHONGSONG SET FOR MAY 2 IN GLASGOW

Fresh off his triumph in the World Boxing Super Series tournament last year, unified junior welterweight titleholder Josh Taylor (16-0, 12 KOs) will make his 2020 debut against unbeaten Apinun Khongsong, also 16-0 (13 KOs), on Saturday May 2, in Glasgow, Scotland.

The event will be promoted by Frank Warren for Queensberry Promotions in association with Top Rank, who recently announced a new co-promotional deal with Taylor. It will mark his first appearance in the ring since defeating the previously unbeaten Regis Prograis in the WBSS final, in which he added the American’s WBA title to his own IBF version, while also claiming the WBSS trophy and The Ring title. Further, it marks Taylor’s return to the SSE Hydro in his native Scotland, where he defeated Ivan Baranchyk to claim the IBF title during the semifinal round of the WBSS.

“I am super excited to kick start the new year with a fresh start and with a new team.” Taylor said. “It’s great to have the teams at MTK Global, Queensberry Promotions and Top Rank in my corner and I’m delighted to be fighting on BT Sport and ESPN+ and even more so that this is happening in Scotland in front of a home crowd who have waited so long for this! I can’t wait to get the ball rolling with a great performance.”

Khongsong, of Bangkok, Thailand, won an IBF eliminator last February in Japan, knocking out Akihiro Kondo in five rounds.

Promoter Frank Warren is excited to bring Taylor’s first unified title defense back to where it all started. “I am delighted that we are able to be part of bringing Josh Taylor to Glasgow at such an important juncture in his career,” he said. “Josh is destined for many big fights over in the States but he has got business to attend to first on the home front and this presents an opportunity for the Scottish fans to really get behind their man in huge world title action.”

“Josh Taylor is a truly special fighter who is set on becoming the undisputed 140-pound champion in 2020, added Top Rank chief Bob Arum. “I have no doubt he will put on a sensational performance for his home fans. I can’t wait for ‘The Tartan Tornado’ to return.”

MTK Global’s CEO Sandra Vaughan said: “We’re delighted to be working with BT Sport and ESPN+ to put on a show of this magnitude in Scotland with an incredible talent, Josh Taylor. Josh is a true ambassador for Scottish boxing and we are thrilled to be working with him, and the teams at Queensberry Promotions and Top Rank to make this happen.”

Should things go well for Josh Taylor on May 2 in Glasgow, it could pave the way to a showdown with American Jose Carlos Ramirez later in the year. Ramirez, who holds the WBC and WBO 140-pound titles, is set to face veteran Viktor Postol on May 9. Top Rank represents both Taylor and Ramirez, so if they take care of business in the spring, a battle for the undisputed crown in the fall should be easy to put together.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: JOSH TAYLOR v APINUN KHONGSONG SET FOR MAY 2 IN GLASGOW

Josh Taylor also partnered with Ben Davison as a new trainer

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    Ben Davison guys clueless maybe a good friend but trainer Taylor need a good game plan Ben was hopeless in Fury's corner you can see why Fury's dad said get rid.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor to defend IBF title in Glasgow

Josh Taylor will return to Glasgow for his first title defence since becoming a unified world champion.

The Prestonpans fighter will take on unbeaten Thai Apinun Khongsong at the SSE Hydro on May 2 in a mandatory defence of his IBF super-lightweight title.

Taylor also holds the WBA and Ring Magazine belts following his thrilling victory over Regis Prograis in October.

Taylor, who recently teamed up with American promoters Top Rank, hopes to fight WBO and WBC champion Jose Ramirez later this year for the right to be called undisputed super-lightweight champion.

Ramirez is due to fight mandatory challenger Viktor Postol on May 9 in a rearranged bout recently postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.

In a statement, Taylor said: “I am super excited to kick-start the new year with a fresh start and with a new team I can’t wait to get the ball rolling with a great performance.”

The event will be promoted by Frank Warren in association with Top Rank.

Warren said: “Josh is destined for many big fights over in the States but he has got business to attend to first on the home front and this presents an opportunity for the Scottish fans to really get behind their man in huge world title action.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jos...182538072.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Ben Davison guys clueless maybe a good friend but trainer Taylor need a good game plan Ben was hopeless in Fury's corner you can see why Fury's dad said get rid.

Yeah definitely surprised me Taylor choosing Davison.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I just provide information. Did not comment on Davison as a trainer
    I understand this is essential, but Prograis faces tougher opponents in the first fight since the WBSS final

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor better not overlook the Thai.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information