Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ryan Garcia v Emmanuel Tagoe

Ryan Garcia's return set for April 9 against Ghanaian Emmanuel Tagoe.

Ryan Garcia‘s comeback trail starts against Emmanuel Tagoe on April 9 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, according to promoter Oscar De La Hoya.

The 23-year-old has not fought since defeating Luke Campbell to become WBC interim lightweight champion in January 2021.

A combination of injury and mental health issues have kept him out of action but he has since made a full recovery.

Taking to Twitter, De La Hoya wrote: “My birthday gift: The return of Ryan Garcia vs Emannuel Tagoe April 9, from Alamodome in San Antonio, TX [sic]. Let’s go.”

The 49-year-old also included DAZN and Golden Boy Promotions in his tweet, after the two recently agreed a new deal, with De La Hoya saying “we are delighted to continue to work with DAZN in 2022”.

Eddy Reynoso-trained Garcia – who trains alongside Canelo Alvarez – has been chasing a fight with Gervonta Davis for years.

But it has now been confirmed the American, 23, will first face Tagoe, 33, in a few weeks’ time with the hopes of securing a lucrative showdown with unified champ George Kambosos Jr.

The lightweight rivals have been rowing back and forth on social media in recent weeks.

Garcia sensationally claimed he would knock out Kambosos Jr when the two finally meet in the ring.

He tweeted: “I will KO George Kambosos that’s a promise, say that happens regardless [in] April I will be 22-0.”

But Kambosos hit back and in response taunted Garcia about his struggles with mental health, having also revealed he is a fan of ‘The Flash’.

He replied: “You’re a good kid, Ryan. I like you, but take a ticket, buddy and try not to pull a heartstring again or injure yourself shadow boxing with your eyes closed. You might run into a wall.”

Kambosos also said that Garcia isn’t even in the frame to fight him next.

In reply to a now-deleted tweet, he added: “Sure you do, buddy, sure you do. WAR? You are the kind soldier that would be shivering in their boots, hiding away in a cave until the wars finished.

“Listen as I said, buddy, I like you. You’re a good kid. But take a ticket and get in line. I got real [some] business to handle first.”

Kambosos hasn’t fought since November when he stunned Teofimo Lopez on points at Madison Square Garden in New York to win the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and The Ring lightweight titles.

The Australian is weighing up either Devin Haney or Vasyl Lomachenko as his next opponent.

He continued: “Like I have said countless times, I want the best challenger to give the world the best fights possible.

“Haney, Matchroom boxing, Lomachenko Top Rank boxing, it takes two to tango, so let’s get this done ASAP. The stadium in Australia awaits. And still!”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ryan Garcia v Emmanuel Tagoe

i thought tevin might get the call but this is a good comeback opponent for king ry
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Feather puncher... only his 3rd fight out of Ghana...

Yeah... I'd say that's a totally safe comeback fight for the youngster.

IMO though, he should've started as Baron rather than King.

You gotta earn that shit.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazing how the kid has stagnated after Campbell 'breakout' show. A step sideways fight here but pretty sure he'll get needed rounds. Ryan barks way too much and a lot of these young guys need to get away from all the assumption of greatness based on social media tiffs and what they're "owed". Stop demanding mega fights with Tank when you're pulling out of Jo Jo Diaz and Fortuna fights. To my knowledge there is no 'Tiktok' championship, just show up and do impressive work. Garcia has the sport at his feet, blowing up the body of Tagoe inside the distance is a pretty solid reset.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Amazing how the kid has stagnated after Campbell 'breakout' show. A step sideways fight here but pretty sure he'll get needed rounds. Ryan barks way too much and a lot of these young guys need to get away from all the assumption of greatness based on social media tiffs and what they're "owed". Stop demanding mega fights with Tank when you're pulling out of Jo Jo Diaz and Fortuna fights. To my knowledge there is no 'Tiktok' championship, just show up and do impressive work. Garcia has the sport at his feet, blowing up the body of Tagoe inside the distance is a pretty solid reset.

Yep. Agree 100%. Well... 99%. The sport has reportedly left his feet for more deserving feet.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

new trainer as well
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    new trainer as well
    Can't get my head around Garcia and Goosen at his own gym at this point. Comfort zone..for the Instagram champ. Hope Ryan gets back determined! But I can also see a scenario where he and Joe fight over the selfie shots between rounds.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

new trainer as well
    Can't get my head around Garcia and Goosen at his own gym at this point. Comfort zone..for the Instagram champ. Hope Ryan gets back determined! But I can also see a scenario where he and Joe fight over the selfie shots between rounds.

This is one of those mental pictures where it doesn't seem all that far-fetched.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

new trainer as well
    may have been a case of being prioritized. obviously canelo would take priority. eddy i think also has vergil, andy, oscar, el rey

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

new trainer as well
    may have been a case of being prioritized. obviously canelo would take priority. eddy i think also has vergil, andy, oscar, el rey
    Could also be an inflated ego and need to be literally the most visible at all times. He managed to surround himself with the very top minds in and out of the ring and improved..but took his ball and bolted when his discipline lapses were called out by same. Speaks volumes to me and don't be shocked if Tagoe date doesn't come off.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

new trainer as well
    Could also be an inflated ego and need to be literally the most visible at all times. He managed to surround himself with the very top minds in and out of the ring and improved..but took his ball and bolted when his discipline lapses were called out by same. Speaks volumes to me and don't be shocked if Tagoe date doesn't come off.
    possibly. could also be more beneficial to his mental health in his own gym & a fresh start of sorts

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I for one am not ready to give the kid a pass. For starters, IMO it's utterly ridiculous to have him ranked in the top five in 135. Loma, Davis, and Teo all sweep the floor with him. He's ridden the hype off one big fight, and is all about social media, calling himself "King", and all sorts of bullshit. He ridiculously talked about a fight vs Pac. Since when does a legend in boxing lower himself to fighting a boy still wet behind the ears? He's "got mental health issues"... so that makes him sort of untouchable from a criticism point of view. But the time to PUT UP OR SHUT UP is fast approaching... and if he doesn't live up to the hype, he's gonna have to take a demotion from "King" to "Pauper."

It's amusing how once the media falls in love with a young kid (good looks, a mouth to match, being American helps)... it's like a pitbull with a bone. They just won't let go.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I for one am not ready to give the kid a pass. For starters, IMO it's utterly ridiculous to have him ranked in the top five in 135. Loma, Davis, and Teo all sweep the floor with him. He's ridden the hype off one big fight, and is all about social media, calling himself "King", and all sorts of bullshit. He ridiculously talked about a fight vs Pac. Since when does a legend in boxing lower himself to fighting a boy still wet behind the ears? He's "got mental health issues"... so that makes him sort of untouchable from a criticism point of view. But the time to PUT UP OR SHUT UP is fast approaching... and if he doesn't live up to the hype, he's gonna have to take a demotion from "King" to "Pauper."

It's amusing how once the media falls in love with a young kid (good looks, a mouth to match, being American helps)... it's like a pitbull with a bone. They just won't let go.
    i don't care for ratings, only who fighters fight. loma sure, who doesn't have a hard time with loma? tank struggled with isaac, it is not beyond possibility king ry could beat tank. is teo still at one thirty five? lots of nicknames don't fit in boxing. what fighter doesn't want to get a big fight against a huge name in the sport. jake would love to get a canelo fight. he is still only twenty three so time is on his side. lots of prospects have failed to live up to the hype

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't care for ratings, only who fighters fight. loma sure, who doesn't have a hard time with loma? tank struggled with isaac, it is not beyond possibility king ry could beat tank. is teo still at one thirty five? lots of nicknames don't fit in boxing. what fighter doesn't want to get a big fight against a huge name in the sport. jake would love to get a canelo fight. he is still only twenty three so time is on his side. lots of prospects have failed to live up to the hype

I don't care for ratings either, especially when they can have Garcia as a top 5.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't care for ratings either, especially when they can have Garcia as a top 5.
    would you be able to post your top five at one thirty five?

Thread Information