Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Santos or Alcine?

Will either of these 2 guys ever fight again? I can see Alcine taking off some time after his KO loss but why hasn't Santos had one fight in over a year now since he won the title?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Santos or Alcine?

I nearly made a thread about Santos yesterday, but rather than Alcine I was going to ask about Santos and Mayorga.

Last I heard about Santos was February when he was being lined up for a unification clash of sorts with then Interim WBC Champion Sergio Martinez. Santos decided that he needed more time, and Cintron got the nod instead. Haven't heard about Santos since.

Mayorga was supposed to fight February 14th against Angulo and really missed a big opportunity there by pulling out. Haven't heard from him since, which is really unusual.

Alcine I haven't heard about since the loss to Santos.

With Vernon Forrest inactive as well, 154 has become a real MIA division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I nearly made a thread about Santos yesterday, but rather than Alcine I was going to ask about Santos and Mayorga.

Last I heard about Santos was February when he was being lined up for a unification clash of sorts with then Interim WBC Champion Sergio Martinez. Santos decided that he needed more time, and Cintron got the nod instead. Haven't heard about Santos since.

Mayorga was supposed to fight February 14th against Angulo and really missed a big opportunity there by pulling out. Haven't heard from him since, which is really unusual.

Yes, I heard some of the same things. In addition, I actually saw Santos was going to defend his title against Mayorga on May 30th on boxrec but Mayorga pulled out after he saw what Shane did to Margarito.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRazor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post

Yes, I heard some of the same things. In addition, I actually saw Santos was going to defend his title against Mayorga on May 30th on boxrec but Mayorga pulled out after he saw what Shane did to Margarito.

Santos vs. Mayorga would be a cracking fight. With Don King promoting them both I'm not shocked the fight was in the works. You can never be sure with boxrec though, they always jump the gun in announcing fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is holding Santos back seems to be Don King. I know 154 isn't loaded with great talent like 147, but Santos should be defending his title more frequently and King should be making this happen. Santos goes long stretches of time without fighting and he seems to be willing to step in the ring. I'm tired of seeing Mayorga, but any opponent would be good for Santos right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rican View Post
    What is holding Santos back seems to be Don King. I know 154 isn't loaded with great talent like 147, but Santos should be defending his title more frequently and King should be making this happen. Santos goes long stretches of time without fighting and he seems to be willing to step in the ring. I'm tired of seeing Mayorga, but any opponent would be good for Santos right now.
    You said it!

bzkfn - That's true but then I read he pulled out because after seeing what Shane did to Margarito, he thought his loss to Shane looked much more impressive - so he probably wanted more money.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Speaking of Santos, hey don't you think a Santos Vs Cintron would be a good fight in PR. Now that Cintron moved up.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    Speaking of Santos, hey don't you think a Santos Vs Cintron would be a good fight in PR. Now that Cintron moved up.
    imo Santos would easily beat Cintron, probably stop him as well, but i've met Daniel Santos, last time was in February and honestly he seems just happy to hold the title, meaning he has no big plans to really risk losing it

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really think Santos has the tools to be able to be one of the top two or three fighters in the LMW division if he ever gets his shit together. However, he's getting old and I think his window is closing fast.

I think he'd give Paul Williams a hell of a fight.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I really think Santos has the tools to be able to be one of the top two or three fighters in the LMW division if he ever gets his shit together. However, he's getting old and I think his window is closing fast.

I think he'd give Paul Williams a hell of a fight.
    yea i agree, IMO Santos although not as technically sound as Quintana (cause really Quintana has the skills to be a lot better than he has been), he's a bigger man and has a better boxing brain that Quintana, throw in heavier hands and IMO he can give Williams a run for his money, i honestly feel that a fully dedicated Santos could beat all of the following

Joel Julio
    James Kirkland
    Kermit Cintron
    Sergio Martinez
    Vernon Forrest (although i think he has a lot more left than people give him credit for)
    Alfredo Angulo
    Ricardo Mayorga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    imo Santos would easily beat Cintron, probably stop him as well, but i've met Daniel Santos, last time was in February and honestly he seems just happy to hold the title, meaning he has no big plans to really risk losing it
    Yeah, based on the fact he hasn't even fought in over a year, that sure seems to be the case.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, based on the fact he hasn't even fought in over a year, that sure seems to be the case.
    thing is, there isn't anyone at 154 who can really dominate aside from maybe Williams, i'd love to see them take the same initiative as the top dogs at 168

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thing is, there isn't anyone at 154 who can really dominate aside from maybe Williams, i'd love to see them take the same initiative as the top dogs at 168
    Me too & if it works @ SMW, maybe they'll try it in other divisions.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me too & if it works @ SMW, maybe they'll try it in other divisions.
    if we were going to keep it at as 6 man tourny, here would be my top choices for each division, but i'm barring Pacquiao and Mayweather, cause it's obvious neither would be up for it

HW-Wlad Klitschko, Haye, Valuev, Chambers, Arreola, Povetkin
    Cruiser-Adamek, Cunnigham, Huck, Flores, Afolabi, Jones
    LHW-Hopkins, Dawson, Johnson, Pascal, Green, Cloud
    MW-Pavlik, Sturm, Mundine, Geale, Sylvester, Abraham (if he chooses to come down again)
    JMW-Santos, Williams, Kirkland, Spinks, Martinez, Forrest
    WW-Mosley, Cotto, Berto, Collazo, Clottey, Quintana
    JWW-Bradley, Campbell, Witter, Khan, Maidana, Torres
    LW-J. Diaz, Valero, JM Marquez, Demarco, Katsidis, Antillon
    JLW-Soto, Guerrero, R. Martinez, Linares, Mitchell, Barrios
    FW-John, Rojas, Luevano, Gamboa, Santiago, Ponce De Leon
    SBW-R. Marquez, Juanma, Vazquez, Caballero, Nishioka, Dunne
    BW-Hasegawa, Agbeko, Montiel, Morel, Mares, Moreno
    SFLW-Darchinyan, Gorres, Arce, Lopez, Kono, Cazares
    FLW-Donaire, Concepcion, Naito, Wonjongkam, Jimenez, Narvaez
    JFLW-Calderon, Viloria, Sosa, Solis, Romero, Segura
    and not so sure bout minimumweight