Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  191
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Brook v Spence result

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Kell Brook v Errol Spence Jr - 27/5/17 Sheffield UK

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kell Brook v Errol Spence Jr - 27/5/17 Sheffield UK

Sorry.. I was just listing all the good British fighters off the top of my head, I got a bit carried away.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Good stuff guys. Off the top I wouldn't have Wilder anywhere near a top five. Santa Cruz should skate by immigration and customs for me . He debuted in the U.S, lives in the U.S and came up in 'murica jr Olympics since he was a teenager. Not sure he cracks top 5 though... could be scramble of

Crawford
    Ward
    Garcia
    Santa Cruz
    Lara? Hey he just got his citizenship and lives in Texas of all places

Jermall Charlo
    Thurman
    Spence jr
    Russell Jr
    Andrade
    Derevyanchenko..hey I see a flag so we're taking him!

You may as well have Golovkin and Kovalev too as they both train, live and are contracted to American promoters/networks.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends what you class as British? Is it everyone considered part of the UK? If so then I think anyone with US citizenship should also be considered as US.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's semi unfair to count people who weren't born in America. Mares would be up there for sure but he was born in Mexico then moved to US then back to Mexico and back to the US. I think he considers himself more Mexican than American even though he seems American and obviously has flawless English (and Spanish).

So let's compare what we have so far.

I would say that Ward and Crawford are hands down better than any Brit at the moment. I don't think that's a controversial statement. IMO frampton is probably the best Brit. He is a fringe p4p fighter. He isn't on my list but he is a good fighter. Brook is also good but his fight with Spence can really boost his rating with me if he wins it.

Garcia I would say so far is also a p4p fighter. I understand that he has only had 2 fights back since his hiatus, but IMO he is definitely a p4p fighter. Better than any Brit. Thurman is solid but not great. He is also a fringe p4p fighter. Many "experts" have him on there lists and he might be on mine. Not sure.

So already, the 4th best fighter on the American list is about equal to the top guy from the Brit list. The rest of the fighters from the Brit list aren't great. There are definitely some solid fighters, but none that are great by any means.

Also, the Americans have Spence coming up who could become the best in the sport in a few years.

Again, I understand the population difference so it's hard to compare directly, but America definitely has the better top fighters by a pretty wide margin I would say.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then it should be country of origin. Frampton is Irish. Selby is Welsh.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Then it should be country of origin. Frampton is Irish. Selby is Welsh.
    I'm willing to say the whole UK

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Selby and Frampton are British whether they like it or not. English and Scots say they're Eng/Scot instead of British too. Frampton is from Northern Ireland, he chooses to identify as Irish but he could choose British if he wanted (he's happy to be British when it suits, like fighting for titles the Irish are not eligible for ).
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    The reason we're doing top 5 is because that is what @Batman said.
    Yeah and we saw how I negotiated the bet between Primo and Master.

As well as being the dark knight I'm the broker, the negotiater, the taskmaster, I'm the motherfucking promoter

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    The reason we're doing top 5 is because that is what @Batman said.
    Yeah and we saw how I negotiated the bet between Primo and Master.

As well as being the dark knight I'm the broker, the negotiater, the taskmaster, I'm the motherfucking promoter
    Who can be sold to the highest bidder, has no morals or scruples.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Carl Frampton - Featherweight

Belfast (24-1, 14KOs)

Frampton became the first Northern Irishman to win a world title in two weight divisions by outpointing Leo Santa Cruz in New York but lost a majority decision in their rematch in Las Vegas at the start of 2017. Does a trilogy beckon?

2. Kell Brook - Welterweight

Sheffield (36-1, 25KOs)

Brook gave a good account of himself against middleweight king Gennady Golovkin before being ground down by his rival in the fifth round. He will not give up his IBF welterweight title and a long-awaiting fight against British welterweight rival Amir Khan is still a possibility.

3. James DeGale - Super-middleweight

London (22-1, 14KOs)

DeGale battled to a tough majority draw against WBC champion Badou Jack in a unification match on 14 January, having fought only once in 2016. The Olympic gold medallist and current IBF world super-middleweight champion has plenty of options in a brimming 168lb division.

4. Amir Khan - Light-welterweight

Bolton (31-3, 19KOs)

Khan caused a major surprise when he announced he was jumping two weight divisions to fight Mexico's Saul Alvarez in May. It was a step too far for Khan who is now evaluating his options, including a potential mega-fight against long-standing rival Kell Brook.

5. Lee Selby - Featherweight

Barry (22-1, 8KOs)

Selby put a scrappy world title defence against Fernando Montiel behind him with a stylish victory over American Eric Hunter in April 2016. 'The Welsh Mayweather' could still be on a collision course with Carl Frampton despite his IBF world title defence against Jonathan Victor Barros being called off after the Argentine failed a medical test.

6. Anthony Joshua - Heavyweight

Watford (17-0, 17 KOs)

Following his comprehensive knockout victory over American Eric Molina in December, Joshua revealed he will put his IBF belt on the line against veteran heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko in a mega-fight in April.

7. Jamie McDonnell - Bantamweight

Doncaster (28-2-1, 13KOs)

The tough Yorkshireman defended his WBA title with a points decision against Venezuela's Liborio Solis in November. A match with fellow WBA title-holder Rau'shee Warren could follow.

8. Billy Joe Saunders - Middleweight

Hatfield (23-0, 12 KOs)

Saunders was impressive in dethroning Ireland's WBO champion Andy Lee. He believes he is good enough to take on Gennady Golovkin or Saul Alvarez but failed to show his best work in his unanimous points victory against Artur Akavov at the end of 2016.

9. Anthony Crolla - Lightweight

Manchester (31-5-3, 13KOs)

Crolla gave a fine account of himself despite losing the WBA belt to the gifted Jorge Linares. Everyone would like to see him challenge WBO champion and fellow Mancunian Terry Flanagan, but it might never happen because of promotional differences.

10. Terry Flanagan - Lightweight

Manchester (31-0, 12KOs)

Flanagan successfully defended his WBO lightweight belt with an eighth-round stoppage of Orlando Cruz in Cardiff in November. A unification match against fellow Mancunian Anthony Crolla is a mouth-watering prospect but might be nixed by politics.

BBC pound-for-pound British rankings - BBC Sport

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

come on @Master, despite actually quoting a post in which it was agreed that it would be a top 5 you decide to copy and paste a top 10

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    come on @Master, despite actually quoting a post in which it was agreed that it would be a top 5 you decide to copy and paste a top 10
    Choose you top 5 from the list, helping you here.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    1. Carl Frampton - Featherweight

Belfast (24-1, 14KOs)

Frampton became the first Northern Irishman to win a world title in two weight divisions by outpointing Leo Santa Cruz in New York but lost a majority decision in their rematch in Las Vegas at the start of 2017. Does a trilogy beckon?

2. Kell Brook - Welterweight

Sheffield (36-1, 25KOs)

Brook gave a good account of himself against middleweight king Gennady Golovkin before being ground down by his rival in the fifth round. He will not give up his IBF welterweight title and a long-awaiting fight against British welterweight rival Amir Khan is still a possibility.

3. James DeGale - Super-middleweight

London (22-1, 14KOs)

DeGale battled to a tough majority draw against WBC champion Badou Jack in a unification match on 14 January, having fought only once in 2016. The Olympic gold medallist and current IBF world super-middleweight champion has plenty of options in a brimming 168lb division.

4. Amir Khan - Light-welterweight

Bolton (31-3, 19KOs)

Khan caused a major surprise when he announced he was jumping two weight divisions to fight Mexico's Saul Alvarez in May. It was a step too far for Khan who is now evaluating his options, including a potential mega-fight against long-standing rival Kell Brook.

5. Lee Selby - Featherweight

Barry (22-1, 8KOs)

Selby put a scrappy world title defence against Fernando Montiel behind him with a stylish victory over American Eric Hunter in April 2016. 'The Welsh Mayweather' could still be on a collision course with Carl Frampton despite his IBF world title defence against Jonathan Victor Barros being called off after the Argentine failed a medical test.

6. Anthony Joshua - Heavyweight

Watford (17-0, 17 KOs)

Following his comprehensive knockout victory over American Eric Molina in December, Joshua revealed he will put his IBF belt on the line against veteran heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko in a mega-fight in April.

7. Jamie McDonnell - Bantamweight

Doncaster (28-2-1, 13KOs)

The tough Yorkshireman defended his WBA title with a points decision against Venezuela's Liborio Solis in November. A match with fellow WBA title-holder Rau'shee Warren could follow.

8. Billy Joe Saunders - Middleweight

Hatfield (23-0, 12 KOs)

Saunders was impressive in dethroning Ireland's WBO champion Andy Lee. He believes he is good enough to take on Gennady Golovkin or Saul Alvarez but failed to show his best work in his unanimous points victory against Artur Akavov at the end of 2016.

9. Anthony Crolla - Lightweight

Manchester (31-5-3, 13KOs)

Crolla gave a fine account of himself despite losing the WBA belt to the gifted Jorge Linares. Everyone would like to see him challenge WBO champion and fellow Mancunian Terry Flanagan, but it might never happen because of promotional differences.

10. Terry Flanagan - Lightweight

Manchester (31-0, 12KOs)

Flanagan successfully defended his WBO lightweight belt with an eighth-round stoppage of Orlando Cruz in Cardiff in November. A unification match against fellow Mancunian Anthony Crolla is a mouth-watering prospect but might be nixed by politics.

BBC pound-for-pound British rankings - BBC Sport
    Right, Mr. "Copy and paste" , you have Amie Khan in your top 5. That automatically bars you from this debate because you clearly know fuck all.
    Don't sit on the fence giving people an option, be decisive and pick YOUR top 5. And if you mention Khan once more in a serious debate like this , I'll call PK For his top 5. 😂

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McDonnell shouldn't be there either. He clearly lost to Solis. Switch him out with Flanagan.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan has faced 14 "world" champions going 11 wins 3 losses. Now regardless of the quality or the physical state they were in at the time that's pretty impressive by anyones standards. Only a proven world-class operator is producing stats like that.

I'm all ears if someone can make a case for 5 British fighters with stronger credentials than him?

Thread Information